Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default painted up posi screws

If you stick a hot soldering iron into the posi slots for a few seconds
it softens the paint and then you can shove the screwdriver in and get a
better purchase.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/04/2018 02:51, Bill Wright wrote:
If you stick a hot soldering iron into the posi slots for a few seconds
it softens the paint and then you can shove the screwdriver in and get a
better purchase.

Bill

I have a couple of screwdrivers set aside for this sort of problem. I
heat the end with a blow torch before offering it up to the screw. With
really stubborn screws it's often a tiny bit more than just softening
the paint

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Does not do wonders for the ability to use it as a soldering iron afterwards
though. Its a bit like those people who use the iron to drill holes in
plastic boxes.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
If you stick a hot soldering iron into the posi slots for a few seconds it
softens the paint and then you can shove the screwdriver in and get a
better purchase.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/04/2018 07:44, Brian Gaff wrote:
Does not do wonders for the ability to use it as a soldering iron afterwards
though. Its a bit like those people who use the iron to drill holes in
plastic boxes.
Brian

I bought my wife a soldering iron *especially* for making buckle holes
in the nylon webbing used for horse headcollars, etc. I borrow it
occasionally for plastic boxes!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Has she got a toxic vapour mask?
Yes I know but this is the way we have to think these days.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 23/04/2018 07:44, Brian Gaff wrote:
Does not do wonders for the ability to use it as a soldering iron
afterwards
though. Its a bit like those people who use the iron to drill holes in
plastic boxes.
Brian

I bought my wife a soldering iron *especially* for making buckle holes in
the nylon webbing used for horse headcollars, etc. I borrow it
occasionally for plastic boxes!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It's the way we're TOLD to think. We don't have to though.

On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 15:33:35 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Has she got a toxic vapour mask?
Yes I know but this is the way we have to think these days.
Brian

--
He was a very clumsy lover. So the girl had to put him in her place.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I told the assembled folk here some time ago about me, being visually
impaired when young used to work on high voltage gear, and was quite safe as
I obeyed simple safety rules, but the air we breathe is another matter for
some years all the smoke emitted from the solder bath system near when a I
worked could be smelled. I doubt that has done my lungs much good either. As
with a lot of things it depends on the exposure. I used to work also with
acetone and as I'm sure you are aware this is very dangerous as it
evaporates and replaces the oxygen in the air.
There are so many things we did before that are now frowned upon, like
sawing down sheets of asbestos for example, as I did many times at home!
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
news

wrote:

Has she got a toxic vapour mask?
Yes I know but this is the way we have to think these days.
Brian

--
He was a very clumsy lover. So the girl had to put him in her place.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

There's the odd thing like asbestos, but most stuff ain't that harmful. I go by what my body tells me, if it's difficult to breathe, then what I'm breathing is bad for me. Fibre glass for example, nobody seems to think that's nasty, but I'm sure it must be, it makes your skin itchy and you cough a lot. Why aren't lofts insulated with polystyrene?!

On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 20:00:53 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

I told the assembled folk here some time ago about me, being visually
impaired when young used to work on high voltage gear, and was quite safe as
I obeyed simple safety rules, but the air we breathe is another matter for
some years all the smoke emitted from the solder bath system near when a I
worked could be smelled. I doubt that has done my lungs much good either. As
with a lot of things it depends on the exposure. I used to work also with
acetone and as I'm sure you are aware this is very dangerous as it
evaporates and replaces the oxygen in the air.
There are so many things we did before that are now frowned upon, like
sawing down sheets of asbestos for example, as I did many times at home!
Brian

--
A federal survey shows that one in twenty Americans lack basic English skills.
The good news is, even without those skills someone can still become President.

The Posi-drive screw [email protected] UK diy 6 January 22nd 08 10:12 PM
The Posi-drive screw geoff UK diy 9 January 22nd 08 08:52 PM
The Posi-drive screw jal UK diy 12 January 22nd 08 08:49 PM
The Posi-drive screw John Rumm UK diy 0 January 16th 08 07:06 PM
The Posi-drive screw John UK diy 0 January 16th 08 03:46 PM