Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Timber shaping

On 30/04/2018 17:46, Chris J Dixon wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

I did not use the pilot at all. I just made a quick "fence" with a off
cut of MDF as a base and a couple of battens glued to it:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...nercut_jig.jpg

Clamped that to the drill table, and offered the wood into the "corner"
and clamped it. The position set such that it bit a perfect quarter
circle out of the corner.

I can now report complete success with the hole cutting.

This is the holesaw I went with in the end:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01AWFCOBK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

oh very posh ;-)

I set up a jig, much like yours, and didn't use the pilot drill.

As I couldn't quite get right through because of the saw depth,
and also the feed limit on my drill, I reckoned that I would get
better registration if I removed the cut material, and re-clamped
the workpiece on a packer, continuing from the same side. It
worked a treat.

Good result ;-)

The only problem was slight belt slippage on my Aldi drill press,
but this is probably the greatest test it will meet.

Yup I think mine was on the limit as well - putting a bit more tension
on the belt by moving the motor a bit further out helped.

To complete the record, I decided that a good jigsaw with blades
was going to cost me as much as the corner brackets, so I bought
them.

;-)

I think my thought process would have been, both routes cost the same,
but one leaves me with a decent tool at the end of it!

Thanks again for the helpful advice

You are welcome.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/05/2018 08:39, Chris J Dixon wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

On 01/05/2018 18:36, wrote:
On Tuesday, 1 May 2018 10:02:53 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 30/04/2018 17:46, Chris J Dixon wrote:

To complete the record, I decided that a good jigsaw with blades
was going to cost me as much as the corner brackets, so I bought
them.

;-)

I think my thought process would have been, both routes cost the same,
but one leaves me with a decent tool at the end of it!

+several

Still I suppose not everyone subscribes to the "who dies with most tools
wins" point of view ;-)

Despite scepticism from some, I do already have a fair number of
tools, even some which I inherited.

The longer answer is that the shaping of the corner brackets
would have left exposed a lot of timber which was not end grain,
and there is no practical way to protect this properly, and to
match tanalised material. I could not tolerate the garish
finishes that seem to be popular on the shelves nowadays.

Would not the same end grain treatment you linked to above been ok?

If not there is a clear cuprinol available (the proper solvent based one
that actually sinks in)

Secondly, I have managed nearly 50 years of DIY without a jigsaw
really being necessary, and there is nothing on the horizon right
now that might need one. If I am wrong, then it is easily
remedied.

Indeed. I suppose there is an element of chicken and egg here. If you
have the tool sat there, then it enters your sub-concious as a possible
solution to a problem. Without one, you think of other ways round it.

It is a shame my brother-in-law lives so far away in Fife - he
has a professional woodworking workshop. No contest on the number
of tools he could bequeath.

;-)

(lots of tools also pre-suppose that you want to dedicate the space to
their storage)

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

On 02/05/2018 08:39, Chris J Dixon wrote:

The longer answer is that the shaping of the corner brackets
would have left exposed a lot of timber which was not end grain,
and there is no practical way to protect this properly, and to
match tanalised material. I could not tolerate the garish
finishes that seem to be popular on the shelves nowadays.

Would not the same end grain treatment you linked to above been ok?

My concern was that the shape of the brackets are such that much
of the cut surface is not really end grain.

If not there is a clear cuprinol available (the proper solvent based one
that actually sinks in)

I have to admit that last time I went on such a search I drew a
blank, but Google now shows me that either things have changed,
or my previous efforts (on jobs already done) were somewhat
inept.

Perhaps I was simply blinded by what was on the shelves, and
didn't actually look online. Anyway, water under the bridge (and
falling on other timbers currently not yet rotten).

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Treated Timber from Timber Merchants Cursitor Doom[_3_] UK diy 12 November 13th 14 07:17 AM
Feel like an idiot buying Timber at timber yards [email protected] UK diy 30 October 12th 07 10:15 AM
Shaping rubber Ritze Metalworking 12 September 7th 05 08:03 PM
Re-shaping warped bowls George Woodturning 1 October 7th 04 01:18 PM
Shaping al tube Don Foreman Metalworking 2 March 4th 04 11:39 PM