Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mischievous question

I live in a top floor flat. If I turn off my heating, will this
increase my downstairs neighbour's gas bill? :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/03/2018 19:44, Scott wrote:
I live in a top floor flat. If I turn off my heating, will this
increase my downstairs neighbour's gas bill? :-)

A bit, in theory. It all depends on how cold you let your flat go, and
then on the construction details. Were you planning to open all your
windows as well?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 18/03/2018 19:44, Scott wrote:
I live in a top floor flat. If I turn off my heating, will this
increase my downstairs neighbour's gas bill? :-)

Yes, but not by much.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/03/18 19:44, Scott wrote:
I live in a top floor flat. If I turn off my heating, will this
increase my downstairs neighbour's gas bill? :-)

yes

--
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,
that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."

Jonathan Swift.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/03/2018 19:44, Scott wrote:
I live in a top floor flat. If I turn off my heating, will this
increase my downstairs neighbour's gas bill? :-)

I wondered about this when my house was empty for 3 weeks during cold
weather. I live in a mid-terrance house and during that time I only had
the heating come on for a low frost protection temperature.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/03/2018 19:44, Scott wrote:
I live in a top floor flat. If I turn off my heating, will this
increase my downstairs neighbour's gas bill? :-)

Very little. I'd be more worried if he turns his off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 19:56:48 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 18/03/18 19:44, Scott wrote:
I live in a top floor flat. If I turn off my heating, will this
increase my downstairs neighbour's gas bill? :-)

yes

Depending on your reasons, a storage heater may be the answer and
would not entail you having to wear several layers indoors.

It would not affect his gas bill though and indeed may introduce a
slight drop.

Installation might be tricky, and an example of a suitable explanation
of why your storage heater was connected to the neighbours light
fitting might form a good request for uk.d-i-y though.

If fortune smiles on you, the neigbours light may even have the switch
in the neutral.

Time to cancel that holiday in the tropics methinks :-)

AB

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott wrote:

I live in a top floor flat. If I turn off my heating, will this
increase my downstairs neighbour's gas bill? :-)

It'd increase yours more if they turned theirs off ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 20:18:06 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

Scott wrote:

I live in a top floor flat. If I turn off my heating, will this
increase my downstairs neighbour's gas bill? :-)

It'd increase yours more if they turned theirs off ...

Interesting, because my former neighbour had no central heating and I
have noticed a definite warming effect on my flat since heating was
installed downstairs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/03/18 19:44, Scott wrote:
I live in a top floor flat. If I turn off my heating, will this
increase my downstairs neighbour's gas bill? :-)

Yes. The heat that will be lost going along the thermal gradient from
their warm ceiling to your cold floor (that was previously a very small
or non existent gradient) will have to be replaced by their heating.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Scott wrote:

I live in a top floor flat. If I turn off my heating, will this
increase my downstairs neighbour's gas bill? :-)

It'd increase yours more if they turned theirs off ...

Interesting, because my former neighbour had no central heating and I
have noticed a definite warming effect on my flat since heating was
installed downstairs.

When you do full heat calculations for a house, a significant quantity
of the heat upstairs comes from downstairs through the floor.
If you are zoning and might want to heat only the upstairs, you have to
calculate on the basis of reduced or no heat from downstairs (depending
if you will have a setup or heating downstairs completely off), and
will require higher heat output (e.g. larger upstairs radiators).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 18 March 2018 20:24:06 UTC, Scott wrote:
Interesting, because my former neighbour had no central heating and I
have noticed a definite warming effect on my flat since heating was
installed downstairs.

One of my former downstairs neighbours had a baby, and so kept their flat warm. I really noticed when they moved out!

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/03/2018 20:02, alan_m wrote:

I live in a mid-terrance house...

I know it's just a typo, but it makes me grin.

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 18 March 2018 19:44:27 UTC, Scott wrote:
I live in a top floor flat. If I turn off my heating, will this
increase my downstairs neighbour's gas bill? :-)

If the temperature in your flat fell to outside temperature, then significantlty.
Depending on the U value of your floor/their ceiling.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/03/2018 19:44, Scott wrote:
I live in a top floor flat. If I turn off my heating, will this
increase my downstairs neighbour's gas bill? :-)

It'll increase your air-conditioning bill in the summer and you'll keep
the lower flat much cooler.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/2018 09:13, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
On 18/03/2018 19:44, Scott wrote:
I live in a top floor flat. If I turn off my heating, will this
increase my downstairs neighbour's gas bill? :-)

It'll increase your air-conditioning bill in the summer and you'll keep
the lower flat much cooler.

Being on the top flat in general. Obviously nothing to do with your
original question.
Move on, nothing to see here.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

How insulated are the floors and ceilings is the key I'd have thought unless
there is a direct path for air between the flats.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Scott" wrote in message
I live in a top floor flat. If I turn off my heating, will this
increase my downstairs neighbour's gas bill? :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I am in a terrace, ie not the end house, and I notice that the house is
warmer as for a start i only have two outside walls, unlike the end
terraces, whether I am actually getting any heat flow through the party
walls is debatable of course.
brian

--
----- -

"ARW" wrote in message
On 18/03/2018 19:44, Scott wrote:
I live in a top floor flat. If I turn off my heating, will this
increase my downstairs neighbour's gas bill? :-)

Yes, but not by much.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/2018 10:44, Brian Gaff wrote:
I am in a terrace, ie not the end house, and I notice that the house is
warmer as for a start i only have two outside walls, unlike the end
terraces, whether I am actually getting any heat flow through the party
walls is debatable of course.
brian

I live in a terrace house built in 1902. I can feel the heat coming from
both my neighbours as the party walls are solid.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave W wrote:

I live in a terrace house built in 1902. I can feel the heat coming from
both my neighbours as the party walls are solid.

Paint them black and put fins on them ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/03/2018 19:44, Scott wrote:
I live in a top floor flat. If I turn off my heating, will this
increase my downstairs neighbour's gas bill? :-)

It would if you installed a heat-pump with the exchanger below any
insulation.

--
Reentrant