Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TRV problems

I have the following TRV installed on our lounge radiator and I am experiencing some problems with it and would appreciate any advice before I contact the manufacturer.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/white-ang...v-15mm-x/73649

We control the temperature using Hive which is normally situated in the lounge but can be moved to our other reception room depending which we are using most and require accurate temperature control. When the Hive thermostat is situated in the lounge the TRV is set to its highest setting - 5 (27-29C) so as not to conflict with Hive. When Hive is in the other reception room I rely on the TRV to keep the temp in the lounge at the required level by setting it to the correct temp setting.

Today I found the the valve shut tight and Hive reporting the room temp at least 2 degrees below set temp and firing up the boiler to compensate. To my mind the valve should never even be shutting considering the vast difference between temp settings on the TRV and Hive? Do you think the head is faulty, do they have a long hysteresis? This is a replacement for the previous head which appeared stuck in the shut position. With the head removed everything is quite normal the valve itself opens and shuts easily and does not appear faulty.

Richard