Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT pet hates

Brian Gaff wrote:
No many people are dazzled. One problem is gamma. On a screen its often
easier to read closely matched colours with the same luminance, but when you
try to print that on paper which emits no light of its own, the contrast has
to be squashed down, and here is where the trouble comes in. many food
packages fall into the same trap. Indeed it poses issues for reading aids
like video magnifiers and text recognition software as well as those with
poor sight like cataracts or macular degeneration.
Brian

They have young designers with giant computer screen with very high
resolution who think they are clever.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 13:16:46 +1100, FMurtz, the mentally challenged,
troll-feeding idiot, wrote:

Tell me which colours, as I can read everything easily.

Not everyone has perfect vision, there are a lot of older people in the
population and if their aim is to exclude a great proportion of the
population, they are succeeding.

The filthiest and dumbest troll around asks, and the mentally challenged
FMurtz delivers, as usual! LOL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 13:18:50 +1100, FMurtz wrote:

Brian Gaff wrote:
No many people are dazzled. One problem is gamma. On a screen its
often easier to read closely matched colours with the same luminance,
but when you try to print that on paper which emits no light of its
own, the contrast has to be squashed down, and here is where the
trouble comes in. many food packages fall into the same trap. Indeed it
poses issues for reading aids like video magnifiers and text
recognition software as well as those with poor sight like cataracts or
macular degeneration.
Brian

They have young designers with giant computer screen with very high
resolution who think they are clever.

Large tracts of International Times were next to illegible because they
printed across graphics

That was in the seventies, long before bright young things, dtp etc
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 Mar 2018 21:29:56 +0000
Vir Campestris wrote:

How would they know that? It's got the 2nd home surcharge, but that
doesn't tell you how much it's used.

But might indicate it's worth casing the joint.
https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...-home-security

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy Burns
writes
Steve Walker wrote:

Allan wrote:

my local council has started e-mailing the council tax bill

Thank God ours hasn't! I NEED to have some sort of paper bill as
part of
identification and checks

yes, I've moved pretty much everything else to be online, but will keep
the council tax as paper ... even if it means I miss out the chance to
"win" a free month of council tax if I go paperless.

How come parish councils can put in an increase *way* above the 3% ?
14.7% here

And PCCs - not capped.
--
bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , humphrey
writes

Brian Gaff wrote:
No many people are dazzled. One problem is gamma. On a screen its
often easier to read closely matched colours with the same luminance,
but when you try to print that on paper which emits no light of its
own, the contrast has to be squashed down, and here is where the
trouble comes in. many food packages fall into the same trap. Indeed it
poses issues for reading aids like video magnifiers and text
recognition software as well as those with poor sight like cataracts or
macular degeneration.
Brian

They have young designers with giant computer screen with very high
resolution who think they are clever.

Large tracts of International Times were next to illegible because they
printed across graphics

That was in the seventies, long before bright young things, dtp etc

Err, some of the people on here were young things in the seventies.

There was a lot of work done on screen/text colours in the 70s/80s.
Logica produced a word processing machine which was amber/brown (or
similar) which was supposed to be the best combination. One potential
customer asked if we could change it to either green/green or
black/white because that was the agreement with the union who wouldn't
budge despite all the evidence from the bright young things of the day
in Cambridge University.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
bert wrote:
In article , Andy Burns
writes
Steve Walker wrote:

Allan wrote:

my local council has started e-mailing the council tax bill
Thank God ours hasn't! I NEED to have some sort of paper bill as
part of
identification and checks

yes, I've moved pretty much everything else to be online, but will keep
the council tax as paper ... even if it means I miss out the chance to
"win" a free month of council tax if I go paperless.

How come parish councils can put in an increase *way* above the 3% ?
14.7% here

And PCCs - not capped.

Have they just changed that? Police expenditure was last year.

As for Parish Councils, they normally have a small precept so a medium
sized sum can look enormous in percentage terms. An extra £10k for our
village hall roof would put our precept up by 13%.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:

bert wrote:

PCCs - not capped.

Have they just changed that? Police expenditure was last year.

PCC up 6.4% here

As for Parish Councils, they normally have a small precept so a medium
sized sum can look enormous in percentage terms. An extra £10k for our
village hall roof would put our precept up by 13%.

Yes it's a smallish amount (parish is 6% of the whole bill while PCC is
now 11% of the bill)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 16:16:22 +0000, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

I'm reading your post with red, green, blue, and black text on a white
background (different colour for each poster). They're all equally easy
to read. Either I've got superhuman vision or there's a lot of people
with ****ty eyesight, because I can comfortably read anything on
anything.

Yes, but *you* are a God amongst men! Please consider us mortals.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 18:08:47 +0000, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

I will throw you mortals off a cliff. There's no room on this planet
for billions of people, why can't we have a clearout?

I would deem it an *honour* to be thrown off a cliff by someone of your
calibre, your Magnificence!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 17:29:26 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom wrote:

Yes, but *you* are a God amongst men! Please consider us mortals.

You most likely made the ****** jerk off over your post again!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 18:39:04 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom, the troll-feeding
idiot, wrote:

I would deem it an *honour* to be thrown off a cliff by someone of your
calibre, your Magnificence!

You ALREADY deem it an honour to suck the troll's cock, time and again,
idiot!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 18:39:04 +0000, Cursitor Doom wrote:

On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 18:08:47 +0000, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

I will throw you mortals off a cliff. There's no room on this planet
for billions of people, why can't we have a clearout?

I would deem it an *honour* to be thrown off a cliff by someone of your
calibre, your Magnificence!

I feel I aught to be billing you for a new Sarcasm Meter[1]

[1] It sits right next to my Irony Meter.

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 17:29:26 +0000, Cursitor Doom wrote:

On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 16:16:22 +0000, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

I'm reading your post with red, green, blue, and black text on a white
background (different colour for each poster). They're all equally
easy to read. Either I've got superhuman vision or there's a lot of
people with ****ty eyesight, because I can comfortably read anything on
anything.

Yes, but *you* are a God amongst men! Please consider us mortals.

Well, he is *something* amongst men but my first thought wouldn't have
been "God", more like a Ghost (in the machinery of Usenet) since I've had
him killfiled for the past year or so.

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 18 March 2018 17:29:28 UTC, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 16:16:22 +0000, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

I'm reading your post with red, green, blue, and black text on a white
background (different colour for each poster). They're all equally easy
to read. Either I've got superhuman vision or there's a lot of people
with ****ty eyesight, because I can comfortably read anything on
anything.

Yes, but *you* are a God amongst men! Please consider us mortals.

what on earth has gotten into you?