Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Orangery

I am building an orangery within the permitted development rules and
would like to stick a couple of radiators in it off the heating system which
has spare capacity. It seems that building regs apply to this and suggest
electric. Has anybody installed radiators without prblems from building
regs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/18 10:17, Gone Fishin wrote:
I am building an orangery within the permitted development rules and
would like to stick a couple of radiators in it off the heating system
which
has spare capacity. It seems that building regs apply to this and suggest
electric.Â* Has anybody installed radiators without prblems from building
regs.

Just make sure it's on it's own control. Is your orangery being built
under "building regs exemption" (ie like a conservatory)? I have heating
in my conservatory and it's fine. Your situation is no different - but
you might want to pay some attention to avoiding the pipes freezing in
winter if you are away and the heating breaks down.

Isolation valves inside the house would be one way, anothe ris to keep
the rad on the house wall (this is an attached building, yes?) - the
stored warmth in the wall will tend to help.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2018 11:26, Tim Watts wrote:
On 15/03/18 10:17, Gone Fishin wrote:
I am building an orangery within the permitted development rules and
would like to stick a couple of radiators in it off the heating system
which
has spare capacity. It seems that building regs apply to this and suggest
electric.Â* Has anybody installed radiators without prblems from
building regs.

Just make sure it's on it's own control. Is your orangery being built
under "building regs exemption" (ie like a conservatory)? I have heating
in my conservatory and it's fine. Your situation is no different - but
you might want to pay some attention to avoiding the pipes freezing in
winter if you are away and the heating breaks down.

They are not building regs exempt, they are permitted under planning laws.
You still have to comply with building regs.

I have a fan heater connected to the boiler in mine with a dual port
valve and stat to satisfy the requirements and to save money.

I also have an AC unit that works as a heat pump for when it gets really
cold/hot.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/18 13:38, dennis@home wrote:
[...]

Not quite:

Case in point:

My conservator goes over my main drains. I asked the BCO if he'd like to
inspect the footings and that all was done correctly (I have an open
Building Notice).

His reply was: if it's a conservatory, officially I do not care about
any aspect of it, other than Part P and the door to the main house
(paraphrased).

He did go on to give me some actual advice (drains in gravel,
foundations bridged over drain) but he had no official requirement to
check anything nor did he.

I have a fan heater connected to the boiler in mine with a dual port
valve and stat to satisfy the requirements and to save money.

I also have an AC unit that works as a heat pump for when it gets really
cold/hot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 10:17:36 +0000, Gone Fishin
wrote:

I am building an orangery within the permitted development rules and
would like to stick a couple of radiators in it off the heating system which
has spare capacity. It seems that building regs apply to this and suggest
electric. Has anybody installed radiators without prblems from building
regs.

I thought you were starting a discussion about politics in Northern
Ireland :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 11:26:15 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

On 15/03/18 10:17, Gone Fishin wrote:
I am building an orangery within the permitted development rules and
would like to stick a couple of radiators in it off the heating system
which has spare capacity. It seems that building regs apply to this and
suggest electric.Â* Has anybody installed radiators without prblems from
building regs.

Just make sure it's on it's own control. Is your orangery being built
under "building regs exemption" (ie like a conservatory)? I have heating
in my conservatory and it's fine. Your situation is no different - but
you might want to pay some attention to avoiding the pipes freezing in
winter if you are away and the heating breaks down.

Isolation valves inside the house would be one way, anothe ris to keep
the rad on the house wall (this is an attached building, yes?) - the
stored warmth in the wall will tend to help.

A quick Google suggests that a conservatory and an orangery are different
types of structure (hence the different name).

As far as I can tell from a quick search there are some requirements about
the amount of glazing in proportion to the size which determine if it
requires BC. There may be other things as well.

Conservatories are assumed to be mainly glazing and separated from the
main dwelling by doors and so can be cold in the winter. AIUI.

Worth checking out.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 15:00:53 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

On 15/03/18 13:38, dennis@home wrote:
On 15/03/2018 11:26, Tim Watts wrote:
On 15/03/18 10:17, Gone Fishin wrote:
I am building an orangery within the permitted development rules and
would like to stick a couple of radiators in it off the heating
system which has spare capacity. It seems that building regs apply to
this and suggest electric.Â* Has anybody installed radiators without
[...]

I assume that he wasn't interested because a conservatory is usually
exempt and you weren't modifying the drainage (which usually requires BC
approval) but just building over it.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/18 15:29, David wrote:
[...]

That requirement was dropped in 2010.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...oper-roof.html

and separated from the
main dwelling by doors and so can be cold in the winter. AIUI.

Yes indeed - that is still true (and still routinely ignored by some
people!)

Worth checking out.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/18 15:30, David wrote:

I assume that he wasn't interested because a conservatory is usually
exempt and you weren't modifying the drainage (which usually requires BC
approval) but just building over it.

That was the gist of it. In fact the drains were new a few years before,
but already inspected and passed.

I was surprised he wasn't interested in the building over - but he said
that effectively, the conservatory didn't exist with regard to any
jurisdiction he had, so...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2018 16:08, Tim Watts wrote:
On 15/03/18 15:30, David wrote:

I assume that he wasn't interested because a conservatory is usually
exempt and you weren't modifying the drainage (which usually requires BC
approval) but just building over it.

That was the gist of it. In fact the drains were new a few years before,
but already inspected and passed.

I was surprised he wasn't interested in the building over - but he said
that effectively, the conservatory didn't exist with regard to any
jurisdiction he had, so...

ISTR there is a distinction between a conservatory that still has a door
between the main building and it, and one that is permanency "open" to
the main building. i.e. if you make the conservatory part of the thermal
envelope of the building, then building regs would apply.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/18 15:30, David wrote:

I assume that he wasn't interested because a conservatory is usually
exempt and you weren't modifying the drainage (which usually requires BC
approval) but just building over it.

That was the gist of it. In fact the drains were new a few years before,
but already inspected and passed.

I was surprised he wasn't interested in the building over - but he said
that effectively, the conservatory didn't exist with regard to any
jurisdiction he had, so...

ISTR there is a distinction between a conservatory that still has a door
between the main building and it, and one that is permanency "open" to
the main building. i.e. if you make the conservatory part of the thermal
envelope of the building, then building regs would apply.

Yes indeed (I think I mentioned that)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/18 15:30, David wrote:

I assume that he wasn't interested because a conservatory is usually
exempt and you weren't modifying the drainage (which usually
requires BC
approval) but just building over it.

That was the gist of it. In fact the drains were new a few years before,
but already inspected and passed.

I was surprised he wasn't interested in the building over - but he said
that effectively, the conservatory didn't exist with regard to any
jurisdiction he had, so...

ISTR there is a distinction between a conservatory that still has a
door between the main building and it, and one that is permanency
"open" to the main building. i.e. if you make the conservatory part of
the thermal envelope of the building, then building regs would apply.

Yes indeed (I think I mentioned that)

Yup reading again you did ;-)

Basically if you take the door out *before* the BCO sees it, its no
longer a conservatory, and becomes an extension. ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I am building an orangery within the permitted development rules and
would like to stick a couple of radiators in it off the heating system which
has spare capacity. It seems that building regs apply to this and suggest
electric. Has anybody installed radiators without problems from building
regs.

I thought you were starting a discussion about politics in Northern
Ireland :-)

Duh!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2018 15:00, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

But if you did it wrong it would come down on you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I am building an orangery within the permitted development rules and
would like to stick a couple of radiators in it off the heating system which
has spare capacity. It seems that building regs apply to this and suggest
electric. Has anybody installed radiators without problems from building
regs.

I thought you were starting a discussion about politics in Northern
Ireland :-)

Duh!

Google is your friend if you did not get taught history at school.