Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Orangery

On 15/03/18 15:29, David wrote:
On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 11:26:15 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

On 15/03/18 10:17, Gone Fishin wrote:
I am building an orangery within the permitted development rules and
would like to stick a couple of radiators in it off the heating system
which has spare capacity. It seems that building regs apply to this and
suggest electric.Â* Has anybody installed radiators without prblems from
building regs.

Just make sure it's on it's own control. Is your orangery being built
under "building regs exemption" (ie like a conservatory)? I have heating
in my conservatory and it's fine. Your situation is no different - but
you might want to pay some attention to avoiding the pipes freezing in
winter if you are away and the heating breaks down.

Isolation valves inside the house would be one way, anothe ris to keep
the rad on the house wall (this is an attached building, yes?) - the
stored warmth in the wall will tend to help.

A quick Google suggests that a conservatory and an orangery are different
types of structure (hence the different name).

As far as I can tell from a quick search there are some requirements about
the amount of glazing in proportion to the size which determine if it
requires BC. There may be other things as well.

Conservatories are assumed to be mainly glazing

That requirement was dropped in 2010.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...oper-roof.html

and separated from the
main dwelling by doors and so can be cold in the winter. AIUI.

Yes indeed - that is still true (and still routinely ignored by some
people!)

Worth checking out.

Cheers

Dave R