Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fixings for secondary glazing

For light acrylic secondary glazing what methods of fixing could you recommend?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 6 March 2018 15:56:19 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:
On 06/03/2018 12:43, tabbypurr wrote:

For light acrylic secondary glazing what methods of fixing could you recommend?

Do you mind what it looks like?

Needs to be fairly airtight or you will have problems. The self adhesive
magnetic strip and metal strip works OK but it is hard to apply neatly
in longer lengths. Silicone foam strip to seal and small clamps (which
could be mutilated white cable clips if you don't care about looks).

Angle or quadrant mouldings wouldn't do the job, they don't fit the frame shape. The glazing will sit on the face rather than within the frame. I'm not against the latter but it's hard to see how that would work prperly. Double sided sticky tape sounds a right mess and a recipe for broken glazing when removed.

Naturally what it looks like matters. It needs to be not too hard for the average Joe to remove, cut cable clips are out. Clamps of some sort are what I had planned, the question is, if I go that route, what sort of clamps. The original window frame is shallow, shaped like so:

outdoor
_______________glass
wall___|
___/

indoor

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, March 6, 2018 at 12:43:54 PM UTC, wrote:
For light acrylic secondary glazing what methods of fixing could you recommend?

NT

I use this for glass secondary glazing. The plastic edging gives a fairly
neat appearance:
http://www.tubeway.co.uk/easyfix-diy...x-glazing.html
You can get it for various thicknesses.

Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 9 March 2018 15:37:55 UTC, sm_jamieson wrote:
On Tuesday, March 6, 2018 at 12:43:54 PM UTC, tabby wrote:

For light acrylic secondary glazing what methods of fixing could you recommend?

NT

I use this for glass secondary glazing. The plastic edging gives a fairly
neat appearance:
http://www.tubeway.co.uk/easyfix-diy...x-glazing.html
You can get it for various thicknesses.

Simon.

That looks a lot more like it. Their packs seem a little expensive, £24 or so for a 15m length, and I wish they had decent looking clips, but that would get the job done. Thank you.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/03/2018 15:37, sm_jamieson wrote:
On Tuesday, March 6, 2018 at 12:43:54 PM UTC, wrote:
For light acrylic secondary glazing what methods of fixing could you recommend?

NT

I use this for glass secondary glazing. The plastic edging gives a fairly
neat appearance:
http://www.tubeway.co.uk/easyfix-diy...x-glazing.html
You can get it for various thicknesses.

Simon.

There are standard clamps, a sort of a boss which the screw goes through
with a tag that you can rotate for fitting or removing the framed
glazing easily. Incidentally, polycarbonate sheeting is much cheaper
than acrylic. It does eventually become cloudy from UV even inside, but
it lasts quite a long time IME.

Secondary glazing kits ? Timothy Murphy UK diy 2 October 29th 04 05:26 PM
Insulating a victorian end terrace house. (Secondary Glazing?) anthony james UK diy 15 March 15th 04 04:52 PM
Secondary double glazing on a curved bay window adam.wootton UK diy 0 November 1st 03 10:47 PM
Secondary Double Glazing Owain UK diy 2 August 10th 03 06:26 PM
Secondary double glazing for patio doors? John Smith UK diy 0 July 20th 03 11:27 PM