Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Solar panel optimal orientation

I have a solar powered lamp [0] to go in a passageway. The solar panel
will be mounted on a West-facing wall (and connected to the lamp by a
cable).

I'm wondering about the optimal placement of the panel.

If I were mounting it on a south-facing wall I would point it at or
below the position of the sun at noon on the winter solstice. Obv.,
winter is when it will get the most use and I would guess that's the
best position. But if it is in shadow until noon, I'd guess at
pointing at the position of the sun round about 14:00.

Any thoughts?

[0]
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Powered-Mot...dp/B06XF384NV/[

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2018 11:13, Fevric J. Glandules wrote:

I have a solar powered lamp [0] to go in a passageway. The solar panel
will be mounted on a West-facing wall (and connected to the lamp by a
cable).

I'm wondering about the optimal placement of the panel.

It won't make that much difference - the batteries will be dead before
this winter is out. We have solar powered radar operated please go round
the dangerous bend signs round here and they are dead at this time of
year a couple of hours after sunset and stone dead on frosty mornings.

Batteries get replaced every spring and the same cycle repeats.

If I were mounting it on a south-facing wall I would point it at or
below the position of the sun at noon on the winter solstice. Obv.,
winter is when it will get the most use and I would guess that's the
best position. But if it is in shadow until noon, I'd guess at
pointing at the position of the sun round about 14:00.

Any thoughts?

Aim slightly high - misalignment only costs like cos(x) so 30 degree
pointing error still gives you 86%. In summer it will have plenty of
light no matter where you point it. In winter it will never have enough
and like those garden centre lights will be effectively "buy and die".

East facing walls typically get a bit more morning sun.

[0]
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Powered-Mot...dp/B06XF384NV/[

I have a frugal PIR LED front door light powered by 3xC cells - been
going a couple of years now on the first set.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:
On 07/02/2018 11:13, Fevric J. Glandules wrote:

I have a solar powered lamp [0] to go in a passageway. The solar panel
will be mounted on a West-facing wall (and connected to the lamp by a
cable).

I'm wondering about the optimal placement of the panel.

It won't make that much difference - the batteries will be dead before
this winter is out.

Not necessarily. We have a solar powered security lamp from Lidl/Aldi that
has worked for years. It only has to light up for a few seconds at a time
very intermittently. It all depends on the usage.

We have solar powered radar operated please go round
the dangerous bend signs round here and they are dead at this time of
year a couple of hours after sunset and stone dead on frosty mornings.

Well its probably powering a lot more LEDs a lot more frequently!

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Tim+ Wrote in message:
Martin Brown wrote:
On 07/02/2018 11:13, Fevric J. Glandules wrote:

I have a solar powered lamp [0] to go in a passageway. The solar panel
will be mounted on a West-facing wall (and connected to the lamp by a
cable).

I'm wondering about the optimal placement of the panel.

It won't make that much difference - the batteries will be dead before
this winter is out.

Not necessarily. We have a solar powered security lamp from Lidl/Aldi that
has worked for years. It only has to light up for a few seconds at a time
very intermittently. It all depends on the usage.

We have solar powered radar operated please go round
the dangerous bend signs round here and they are dead at this time of
year a couple of hours after sunset and stone dead on frosty mornings.

Well it?s probably powering a lot more LEDs a lot more frequently!

Never mind the radar.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/18 11:13, Fevric J. Glandules wrote:
I have a solar powered lamp [0] to go in a passageway. The solar panel
will be mounted on a West-facing wall (and connected to the lamp by a
cable).

I'm wondering about the optimal placement of the panel.

If I were mounting it on a south-facing wall I would point it at or
below the position of the sun at noon on the winter solstice. Obv.,
winter is when it will get the most use and I would guess that's the
best position. But if it is in shadow until noon, I'd guess at
pointing at the position of the sun round about 14:00.

Any thoughts?

[0]
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Powered-Mot...dp/B06XF384NV/[

No chance of including a mirror in the equation, I suppose?

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 7 February 2018 14:35:13 UTC, Nick Odell wrote:
On 07/02/18 11:13, Fevric J. Glandules wrote:
I have a solar powered lamp [0] to go in a passageway. The solar panel
will be mounted on a West-facing wall (and connected to the lamp by a
cable).

I'm wondering about the optimal placement of the panel.

If I were mounting it on a south-facing wall I would point it at or
below the position of the sun at noon on the winter solstice. Obv.,
winter is when it will get the most use and I would guess that's the
best position. But if it is in shadow until noon, I'd guess at
pointing at the position of the sun round about 14:00.

Any thoughts?

[0]
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Powered-Mot...dp/B06XF384NV/[

No chance of including a mirror in the equation, I suppose?

Nick

Make it white rather than silvered, pv panel output curret depends on the lest illuminated bit so diffuse light works best.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
On 07/02/2018 11:13, Fevric J. Glandules wrote:

I have a solar powered lamp [0] to go in a passageway. The solar panel
will be mounted on a West-facing wall (and connected to the lamp by a
cable).

I'm wondering about the optimal placement of the panel.

It won't make that much difference - the batteries will be dead before
this winter is out. We have solar powered radar operated please go round
the dangerous bend signs round here and they are dead at this time of
year a couple of hours after sunset and stone dead on frosty mornings.

Batteries get replaced every spring and the same cycle repeats.

bad design - needs a larger battery.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2018 18:30, charles wrote:
In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
On 07/02/2018 11:13, Fevric J. Glandules wrote:

I have a solar powered lamp [0] to go in a passageway. The solar panel
will be mounted on a West-facing wall (and connected to the lamp by a
cable).

I'm wondering about the optimal placement of the panel.

It won't make that much difference - the batteries will be dead before
this winter is out. We have solar powered radar operated please go round
the dangerous bend signs round here and they are dead at this time of
year a couple of hours after sunset and stone dead on frosty mornings.

Batteries get replaced every spring and the same cycle repeats.

bad design - needs a larger battery.

No. Bad design - needs a very *much* larger solar panel and to be
installed at a lower latitude where the sun actually shines in winter.
Even with wind powered additions they struggle to survive the winter.

Doesn't do any good. Muppets still fail to go round the bend. eg.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/l...-house-3702602

That is on a bend with this sort of active sign and at a time of year
when it was probably working. Frosty winter morning - no chance at all.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown