Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Flow Chart Software

Looking for some cheap (aka free of FOSS) flow chart software to just
document a Python script. I've dug about and not really found what
I'm looking for, namely but not exclusivly):

1) Desktop (Windows) app, not an online service.

2) Not a system that enables you to write a program and run it. Just
linkable boxes with a text description and flow indicators.

3) Drag and drop of boxes with "elastic" links between them.

4) Inteligent auto arrange. ie you construct the flow with boxes
overlapping, randomly, placed and linked together. Then it will move
'em about into a nice layout with minimal crossing of paths.

5) Decision boxes that have in built with "yes/no" labels on the
outputs.

6) Sub-processes on seperate pages/documents, linked from the parent
(and back).

Smartdraw Flowchart is almost there but only has a 7 day free trail
and fails 3), 4) & 5) but I have a feeling 3) is because I havent
worked out how to do it. The user interface is a little inconsistent
(it changes box shape and breaks links between boxes if you try and
move boxes about) and not 100% intuative but not bad. 6) it does
well.

Pencil and Flowgorithm I didn't get very far with.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2018 12:01, Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

Did you look at Chartist? https://www.novagraph.com/
I think the only item on your wishlist that it doesn't do is the
Auto-arrange... but I've not used it for several versions, so I'm not
certain. 30-day free trial...

Adrian

I used it extensively back in the days when I was doing Quality
consultancy - it was an excellent, fast, way of creating process
flowcharts for dropping into procedures (written in Word)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Have you looked at Visio - which comes/came with some versions of MS Office?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 06 Feb 2018 13:43:50 +0000, Roger Mills wrote:

[...]

Visio has *never* come as part of MS Office, it's always been an add-on at a price.

--
Regards, Paul Herber
http://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Paul Herber Wrote in message:
[...]

Nearly

"Microsoft acquired Visio in 2000, re-branding it as a*Microsoft
Office*application. Like*Microsoft Project, however, it has never
been officially included in any of the Office suites (although it
was on the disk for Office 2003 and could be installed if users
knew it was there)."

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 6 Feb 2018 15:08:11 +0000 (GMT+00:00), jim k wrote:

[...]

Well, I never knew that, and I'm supposed to be an expert on Visio.
However, are you sure you didn't need to buy a seperate licence for it?

--
Regards, Paul Herber
http://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"
Microsoft acquired Visio in 2000, re-branding it as a Microsoft
Office application. Like Microsoft Project, however, it has never
been officially included in any of the Office suites (although it
was on the disk for Office 2003 and could be installed if users
knew it was there)."

Likewise Office 2007 which I am using.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2018 12:01, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Looking for some cheap (aka free of FOSS) flow chart software to just
document a Python script. I've dug about and not really found what
I'm looking for, namely but not exclusivly):

might be worthwhile looking at https://www.draw.io/ - they have both web
and desktop version
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On Tuesday, February 6, 2018 at 12:01:39 PM UTC, Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

possibly a bit overkill for your immediate needs, but perhaps Astah Community edition?

http://astah.net/editions/community

It's a Java app (cross-platform), really for doing UML diagrams. But it
also allows you to draw flowchartsm (and UML 'statechart diagram's, which might
be better for you anyway). I think it has most of your other criteria.

HTH
Jon N
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2018 16:06, Paul Herber wrote:
[...]

"Microsoft acquired Visio in 2000, re-branding it as aÂ*Microsoft
OfficeÂ*application. LikeÂ*Microsoft Project, however, it has never
been officially included in any of the Office suites (although it
was on the disk for Office 2003 and could be installed if users
knew it was there)."

Well, I never knew that, and I'm supposed to be an expert on Visio.
However, are you sure you didn't need to buy a seperate licence for it?

IIRC its included in office365.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 6 Feb 2018 16:36:41 +0000, "dennis@home" wrote:

[...]

No, it is not included. It is available as an add-on at a cost (but not in the Home or
Personal versions of Office 365).

--
Regards, Paul Herber
http://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 06 Feb 2018 16:09:40 +0000, Roger Mills wrote:

Likewise Office 2007 which I am using.

Ooo, I have Office 2007 somewhere, bought with what ever level
Publisher became included. However wonkypedia says that all versions
of Office 2007 only had a Visio viewer. Now where are those discs...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2018 15:08, jim wrote:
[...]

There is no trace of Visio on my Office 2003 Professional Edition.
However Word 2003 has a flowchart facility where you can add shapes and
connect them. When the shapes are dragged, they stay connected. (You
have to assemble them on a Drawing Canvas for them to connect).
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2018 13:43, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

and fails 3), 4)&Â* 5) but I have a feeling 3) is because I havent
worked out how to do it. The user interface is a little inconsistent
(it changes box shape and breaks links between boxes if you try and
move boxes about) and not 100% intuative but not bad. 6) it does
well.

Pencil and Flowgorithm I didn't get very far with.

Have you looked at Visio - which comes/came with some versions of MS
Office?

If cost is an issue, the Libre Office has Draw and Impress near
equivalents to Visio and Powerpoint, respectively.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreOffice

I think Visio only comes with more expensive versions of MS Office?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2018 22:53, Fredxx wrote:
[...]

Could be. Maybe the Enterprise edition, or somesuch?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I just had a look through my pile of old software CDs, and found a copy
of MS Visio 2003 that I received from my employers at the time to
install at home - one of those licences that were valid for both home
and workplace use.

The company I worked for at the time is no longer in business. I'll be
happy to put it for you somewhere to download if you like?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 6 Feb 2018 16:20:52 +0000, Mark Hempstead wrote:

might be worthwhile looking at https://www.draw.io/ - they have both web
and desktop version

Played with the online version and got on with it very well. I've
produced what I wanted with very little fuss. The UI is "normal" and
doesn't do "odd" things. Indeed it has some nice features vertical
and horizontal alignment lines for edges and centers come and go as
you drag a box about along with page H & V centers. You can pick up
and move either end of a connection, you can even leave an end
"dangling" do something else and come back to it. The shapes and
styles are defined by XML, which you can edit within the program.
I've downloaded the desktop version and will be using that from now
on. It's FOSS. so no trial period or cash required. B-)

Of the other software mentioned that I looked at:

Viso - no trial version to see if it does what I want and works the
way I want to. But it would have to be *very* good to move Draw.io
from the top spot.

Chartist - First use I didn't get very far, even connecting boxes
felt inconsistent (you have to let go the button with the pointer in
exactly the right place but no indication that you're are in the
right place, unlike draw.io). The right click UI is a cascade of
standard menus, works but clunky.

Astah - need to create a login to download the community version. eh?

Smart Draw - Loosely similar to draw.io but the UI does odd things
like change shapes when you move things and/or break connections.
It's also installed something that runs in the background as
occasionally I get a notification "do I want any help". Stop
nagging...

Thanks guys.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/2018 01:08, Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

HI Dave
OK on Chartist - I was using it probably 20 years ago gulp! - and, at
the time, it was fairly cheap and did what I needed to do (mostly
process flowcharts)
I seem to recall that the lines/arrows could connect to several points
one each side of a square, rectangle etc - and there used to be an
option to have 3 or 7 connect points per side. Zooming in showed the
connect points as 'dashes' against the outline of the object, and you
could drag the end of the line to connect with the one that you
wanted.... but it was 20 years ago!
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/2018 01:08, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Viso - no trial version to see if it does what I want and works the
way I want to. But it would have to be *very* good to move Draw.io
from the top spot.

There is a free trial download on office.com, I don't know how long it
lasts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2018 16:20, Mark Hempstead wrote:
On 06/02/2018 12:01, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Looking for some cheap (aka free of FOSS) flow chart software to just
document a Python script. I've dug about and not really found what
I'm looking for, namely but not exclusivly):

might be worthwhile looking at https://www.draw.io/ - they have both web
and desktop version

Thank you for the link - it looks like a superb program and I have now
installed it.
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 9 Feb 2018 07:27:32 +0000, Adrian Brentnall wrote:

Zooming in showed the connect points as 'dashes' against the outline of
the object, and you could drag the end of the line to connect with the
one that you wanted.... but it was 20 years ago!

It's still like that, but the acceptance area for the connection
points is very small and I don't think quite matches the visible
"dashes". ie the dashes extend outside the shape but the acceptance
area doesn't. In draw.io when you are on target a large green circle
appears around the point.

Chartist is probably second place.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/2018 20:11, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 9 Feb 2018 07:27:32 +0000, Adrian Brentnall wrote:

Zooming in showed the connect points as 'dashes' against the outline of
the object, and you could drag the end of the line to connect with the
one that you wanted.... but it was 20 years ago!

It's still like that, but the acceptance area for the connection
points is very small and I don't think quite matches the visible
"dashes". ie the dashes extend outside the shape but the acceptance
area doesn't. In draw.io when you are on target a large green circle
appears around the point.

Chartist is probably second place.

As I say, it was a while back - but I do recall having to zoom in and
'correct' where the lines were attaching sometimes.

Have fun!
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 9 Feb 2018 07:27:32 +0000, Adrian Brentnall wrote:

Zooming in showed the connect points as 'dashes' against the outline of
the object, and you could drag the end of the line to connect with the
one that you wanted.... but it was 20 years ago!

It's still like that, but the acceptance area for the connection
points is very small and I don't think quite matches the visible
"dashes". ie the dashes extend outside the shape but the acceptance
area doesn't. In draw.io when you are on target a large green circle
appears around the point.

Chartist is probably second place.

Try

https://www.yworks.com/products/yed