Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Under Cabinet Lighting Questions

On 29/01/2018 19:14, TheChief wrote:

A very long sig.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

--

Hi all

Just returned from Edinburgh where my daughter has a flat.
There are some under cabinet lights in the kitchen which don't
work and I was wondering whether they are even fit for
purpose.

To set the scene, there is a wall switch which controls power to
two double surface mount sockets. Into these sockets are plugged
transformers from 240v AC to 20v DC.
The output from these is via twin bell wire routed behind the
kitchen cupboards to airfare mount down lighters.

The cupboards that these lights fix to are immediately to either
side of a gas hob, which means they get seriously
steamed.

Unfortunately I only took my mains tester in my tool kit, so
couldn't check the transformer output. Either way, there was
power to the double sockets ok, but no bulbs operating.

The questions a
Are these appropriate fittings for this location?
Will anything survive this close to a serious hob?
What type of lighting would the group recommend if I can thread
better cable up behind the cupboard?

I have changed from fluorescent tubes to LEDs in my kitchen as the
fluorescents didn't last long. But my fittings are much further
from the hob, so the lighting type is arguably less
sensitive.

Any constructive comments appreciated.

Phil

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I don't get the other replies here, cannot they see your message?
I think further investigation is in order here. are they halogen lamps?
Maybe the previous user just got fed up with changing them every few weeks.
Might be time for a redesign if the lamps are being fried both inside and
out.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"TheChief" wrote in message
news

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Bill Wright Wrote in message:
On 29/01/2018 19:14, TheChief wrote:

A very long sig.

Bill

:-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2018 19:39, Brian Gaff wrote:
I don't get the other replies here, cannot they see your message?

The OPs whole message was after the sig separator... so viewable
(although often dimmed), but more tricky to reply to since many news
readers will strip the sig on reply.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 29/01/2018 19:39, Brian Gaff wrote:
I don't get the other replies here, cannot they see your message?

The OPs whole message was after the sig separator... so viewable
(although often dimmed), but more tricky to reply to since many news
readers will strip the sig on reply.

--
Cheers,

John.

Not sure how that happened. My news reader is usually reliable.

Is it necessary to repost?
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , TheChief
writes
John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 29/01/2018 19:39, Brian Gaff wrote:
I don't get the other replies here, cannot they see your message?

The OPs whole message was after the sig separator... so viewable
(although often dimmed), but more tricky to reply to since many news
readers will strip the sig on reply.

--
Cheers,

John.

Not sure how that happened. My news reader is usually reliable.

Is it necessary to repost?

Comes up in a trendy blue on Turnpike:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 29 January 2018 19:14:05 UTC, TheChief wrote:

[...]

forgot to say what type of bulbs

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
TheChief wrote:
I have changed from fluorescent tubes to LEDs in my kitchen as the
fluorescents didn't last long.

You should have bought decent quality florries.

--
*Always drink upstream from the herd *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Wrote in message:
[...]

Shurely Halogen?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2018 20:22, TheChief wrote:

Not sure how that happened. My news reader is usually reliable.

Is it necessary to repost?

Na, I am sure we will manage ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well mine obviously does not.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 29/01/2018 19:39, Brian Gaff wrote:
I don't get the other replies here, cannot they see your message?

The OPs whole message was after the sig separator... so viewable (although
often dimmed), but more tricky to reply to since many news readers will
strip the sig on reply.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A friend of mine has renamed these hellogen lamps as they are hell to keep
going and cost a fortune.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
TheChief wrote:
I have changed from fluorescent tubes to LEDs in my kitchen as the
fluorescents didn't last long.

You should have bought decent quality florries.

--
*Always drink upstream from the herd *

Dave Plowman
London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 19:14:02 +0000, TheChief wrote:

[...]

My first thought would be to research heat resistant fittings, as this
seems to be the main problem.

Cheers

Dave R

---