Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Default Under Cabinet Lighting Questions

Wrote in message:
On Monday, 29 January 2018 19:14:05 UTC, TheChief wrote:

Hi all

Just returned from Edinburgh where my daughter has a flat.
There are some under cabinet lights in the kitchen which don't
work and I was wondering whether they are even fit for
purpose.

To set the scene, there is a wall switch which controls power to
two double surface mount sockets. Into these sockets are plugged
transformers from 240v AC to 20v DC.
The output from these is via twin bell wire routed behind the
kitchen cupboards to airfare mount down lighters.

The cupboards that these lights fix to are immediately to either
side of a gas hob, which means they get seriously
steamed.

Unfortunately I only took my mains tester in my tool kit, so
couldn't check the transformer output. Either way, there was
power to the double sockets ok, but no bulbs operating.

The questions a
Are these appropriate fittings for this location?
Will anything survive this close to a serious hob?
What type of lighting would the group recommend if I can thread
better cable up behind the cupboard?

I have changed from fluorescent tubes to LEDs in my kitchen as the
fluorescents didn't last long. But my fittings are much further
from the hob, so the lighting type is arguably less
sensitive.

Any constructive comments appreciated.

Phil

forgot to say what type of bulbs