Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 9v battery protective cap

Trying to find similar in the UK: anyone any idea if anyone sells them - other
than ebay plus postage of course

http://uk.farnell.com/keystone/96/pr...-9v/dp/1716316

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim wrote:

Trying to find similar in the UK: anyone any idea if anyone sells them -
other than ebay plus postage of course

http://uk.farnell.com/keystone/96/pr...-9v/dp/1716316

why not just buy a battery connector ansd cut the leads off?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2018 11:55, Jim wrote:

Trying to find similar in the UK: anyone any idea if anyone sells them - other
than ebay plus postage of course

http://uk.farnell.com/keystone/96/pr...-9v/dp/1716316

Another UK supplier
https://www.rapidonline.com/pp3-prot...tone96-18-0099

Amazon reviews say they don't fit very well and fall off.

Some battery manufactures only fit a small plastic cap over one terminal
to prevent accidental shorting.

Example
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1160_.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/18 12:18, charles wrote:
In article ,
Jim wrote:

Trying to find similar in the UK: anyone any idea if anyone sells them -
other than ebay plus postage of course

http://uk.farnell.com/keystone/96/pr...-9v/dp/1716316

why not just buy a battery connector ansd cut the leads off?

why not just take the connector plate off an old battery and cover the
plate back with epoxy?

foolish, and by the rulers as useful.

(Seneca the Younger, 65 AD)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
Some battery manufactures only fit a small plastic cap over one terminal
to prevent accidental shorting.

Yes- Duracell Pro used to come with them. Threw them away by the hundred.
;-)

--
*Why isn't there mouse-flavoured cat food?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2018 11:55, Jim wrote:

Trying to find similar in the UK: anyone any idea if anyone sells them - other
than ebay plus postage of course

Masking tape works for me

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2018 11:55, Jim wrote:

Trying to find similar in the UK: anyone any idea if anyone sells them - other
than ebay plus postage of course

http://uk.farnell.com/keystone/96/pr...-9v/dp/1716316

Is that for PP3 batteries? It doesn't say; there is more than one kind
of 9V battery with clip on connectors.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2018 14:31, Max Demian wrote:
On 28/01/2018 11:55, Jim wrote:

Trying to find similar in the UK: anyone any idea if anyone sells them
- other
than ebay plus postage of course

http://uk.farnell.com/keystone/96/pr...-9v/dp/1716316

Is that for PP3 batteries? It doesn't say; there is more than one kind
of 9V battery with clip on connectors.

The dimensions on their datasheet match PP3

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1933962.pdf

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Jan 2018 11:55:27 +0000, Jim wrote:

Trying to find similar in the UK: anyone any idea if anyone sells them - other
than ebay plus postage of course

http://uk.farnell.com/keystone/96/pr...-9v/dp/1716316

Looks like the perfect job for a 3D printer. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 28 January 2018 15:54:49 UTC, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 28 Jan 2018 11:55:27 +0000, Jim wrote:

Trying to find similar in the UK: anyone any idea if anyone sells them - other
than ebay plus postage of course

http://uk.farnell.com/keystone/96/pr...-9v/dp/1716316

Looks like the perfect job for a 3D printer. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

I bet it would cost more than the battery

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Jan 2018 08:48:03 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Sunday, 28 January 2018 15:54:49 UTC, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 28 Jan 2018 11:55:27 +0000, Jim wrote:

Trying to find similar in the UK: anyone any idea if anyone sells them - other
than ebay plus postage of course

http://uk.farnell.com/keystone/96/pr...-9v/dp/1716316

Looks like the perfect job for a 3D printer. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

I bet it would cost more than the battery

I bet it would cost less than the 12p each. ;-)

But I guess it depends on how you factor such things. eg. Do you
amortise the price of the kitchen and all the appliances you use when
you cook a meal?

I wouldn't have bought (built) the printer to print a PP3 cap but
could (easily since Mark provided the dimensions g) and do so
cheaply now I have. Filament is roughly £15 quid / kg and the
electricity wouldn't run to much for something that small.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2018 11:55, Jim wrote:

Trying to find similar in the UK: anyone any idea if anyone sells them - other
than ebay plus postage of course

http://uk.farnell.com/keystone/96/pr...-9v/dp/1716316

Just solder a wire across the terminals and cut it when you want to use
the battery. Easy.

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Clive Arthur wrote:
On 28/01/2018 11:55, Jim wrote:

Trying to find similar in the UK: anyone any idea if anyone sells them - other
than ebay plus postage of course

http://uk.farnell.com/keystone/96/pr...-9v/dp/1716316

Just solder a wire across the terminals and cut it when you want to use
the battery. Easy.

Hard work, that. Just clip two batteries together.

--
*Don't byte off more than you can view *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2018 11:55, Jim wrote:

Trying to find similar in the UK: anyone any idea if anyone sells them - other
than ebay plus postage of course

http://uk.farnell.com/keystone/96/pr...-9v/dp/1716316

Just solder a wire across the terminals and cut it when you want to use
the battery. Easy.

Cheers

Why does that sound plausible as well as ridiculous?

Oh I know, that's what they did to moving-coil multi meters to protect
them during shipping.

I once had an argument with the proprietor of an electronics shop when
I tried to return a faulty meter, they said I had invalidated the
warranty by opening it and snipping the wire.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

Clive Arthur wrote:

Just solder a wire across the terminals and cut it when you want to use
the battery. Easy.

Hard work, that. Just clip two batteries together.

Or 244 of them... https://youtu.be/8hwLHdBTQ7s

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2018 19:55, Andy Burns wrote:

Or 244 of them... https://youtu.be/8hwLHdBTQ7s

Why didn't he test them the traditional way by placing both terminals
across his tongue?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2018 11:55, Jim wrote:

Trying to find similar in the UK: anyone any idea if anyone sells them - other
than ebay plus postage of course

http://uk.farnell.com/keystone/96/pr...-9v/dp/1716316

The ones made from solid brass are very good.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2018 11:55, Jim wrote:

Trying to find similar in the UK: anyone any idea if anyone sells them - other
than ebay plus postage of course

http://uk.farnell.com/keystone/96/pr...-9v/dp/1716316

The ones made from solid brass are very good.

Bill

When I wanted to buy a 1289 cycle-lamp battery I would just ask for a
"flat battery"

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim wrote:

Trying to find similar in the UK: anyone any idea if anyone sells
them - other than ebay plus postage of course

http://uk.farnell.com/keystone/96/pr...-9v/dp/1716316

I just wrap a couple of turns of PVC tape around the battery.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 28 January 2018 17:57:15 UTC, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 28 Jan 2018 08:48:03 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Sunday, 28 January 2018 15:54:49 UTC, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 28 Jan 2018 11:55:27 +0000, Jim wrote:

Trying to find similar in the UK: anyone any idea if anyone sells them - other
than ebay plus postage of course

http://uk.farnell.com/keystone/96/pr...-9v/dp/1716316

Looks like the perfect job for a 3D printer. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

I bet it would cost more than the battery

I bet it would cost less than the 12p each. ;-)

But I guess it depends on how you factor such things. eg. Do you
amortise the price of the kitchen and all the appliances you use when
you cook a meal?

I would, which is why I haven't brought a high end coffee machine for me instant is good enough I'm glad I don't apprieciate fine coffees or wines.
If I had a PP3 battery at home that needed protecting I;d stick a bit of insulation tape over the terminals, or find the tops at work from the boxes of 10 PP3s we buy, and with a bit (a lot) of luck I'll find the safe place where I put those rubber cap tops which I knew would be useful in the future.

I wouldn't have bought (built) the printer to print a PP3 cap but
could (easily since Mark provided the dimensions g) and do so
cheaply now I have. Filament is roughly £15 quid / kg and the
electricity wouldn't run to much for something that small.

Do you factor in your time too, that is one thing our students don't think of.

How long do you think it would take you to design such a thing ?
For sucha small thing I'm not sure you're average 3D printer would print accuratly enough for a snug fit, would be fun trying it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 28 January 2018 20:17:14 UTC, alan_m wrote:
On 28/01/2018 19:55, Andy Burns wrote:

Or 244 of them... https://youtu.be/8hwLHdBTQ7s

Why didn't he test them the traditional way by placing both terminals
across his tongue?

Should have tried his testicales.

I would have thought he'd got better results by not using the used batteries.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 03:36:15 -0800 (PST), whisky-dave
wrote:

snip

But I guess it depends on how you factor such things. eg. Do you
amortise the price of the kitchen and all the appliances you use when
you cook a meal?

I would,

snip

Yes, because you are a weird troll.

Have you spoken to the hand this week yet (you have now).

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 29 January 2018 11:50:30 UTC, T i m wrote:
On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 03:36:15 -0800 (PST), whisky-dave
wrote:

snip

But I guess it depends on how you factor such things. eg. Do you
amortise the price of the kitchen and all the appliances you use when
you cook a meal?

I would,

snip

Yes, because you are a weird troll.

Snipped the important part, typical.

Have you spoken to the hand this week yet (you have now).

Is that because it has more brain cells than the head ?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

https://youtu.be/8hwLHdBTQ7s

I would have thought he'd got better results by not using the used batteries.

Don't you think the reason he had the old batteries was because he was
responsible for swapping them from equipment as part of his job?
But he wouldn't have wanted to splash out £350 on 244 new alkaline PP3s
just for a laugh ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 29 January 2018 13:09:55 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

https://youtu.be/8hwLHdBTQ7s

I would have thought he'd got better results by not using the used batteries.

Don't you think the reason he had the old batteries was because he was
responsible for swapping them from equipment as part of his job?

Like I do you mean.

But he wouldn't have wanted to splash out £350 on 244 new alkaline PP3s
just for a laugh ...

I wouldn't either but if he's swapping them like I do then yuo woulkd have new batteries to use and I suggest he would have got better results from less than half those number of battreis if he hadn't of used old one, that's all.
He was gettign under 1000 volts from 244 9V batteries.
He he'd usedf 111 9V battereis he would have got the 1KV and the current capacity of a new 9V battery, rather than 1KV with 244 batteries with less current due to the higher internal resistance of the older/used batteries.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 04:16:42 -0800 (PST), whisky-dave
wrote:

snip

Have you spoken to the hand this week yet (you have now).

Is that because it has more brain cells than the head ?

Than yours? Quite possibly. ;-)

But mainly it's because I believe you are a weird troll, most of your
questions are bogus and your circular and bizarre arguments pointless
and a waste of bandwidth. So, I'm trying to do you a favour by
suggesting you don't waste your time and weirdness on me as it won't
be read or replied to.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 30 January 2018 11:04:39 UTC, T i m wrote:
On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 04:16:42 -0800 (PST), whisky-dave
wrote:

snip

Have you spoken to the hand this week yet (you have now).

Is that because it has more brain cells than the head ?

Than yours? Quite possibly. ;-)

But mainly it's because I believe you are a weird troll, most of your
questions are bogus and your circular and bizarre arguments pointless
and a waste of bandwidth.

according to you that is.

So, I'm trying to do you a favour by
suggesting you don't waste your time and weirdness on me as it won't
be read or replied to.

Then don't reply to my posts, it really is that simple.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 30 Jan 2018 04:06:09 -0800 (PST), whisky-dave
wrote:

snip

So, I'm trying to do you a favour by
suggesting you don't waste your time and weirdness on me as it won't
be read or replied to.

Then don't reply to my posts, it really is that simple.

Unfortunately that doesn't stop you continuing to reply to mine
(asking questions I'll not answer). It really is that simple.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 30 January 2018 13:52:22 UTC, T i m wrote:
On Tue, 30 Jan 2018 04:06:09 -0800 (PST), whisky-dave
wrote:

snip

So, I'm trying to do you a favour by
suggesting you don't waste your time and weirdness on me as it won't
be read or replied to.

Then don't reply to my posts, it really is that simple.

Unfortunately that doesn't stop you continuing to reply to mine

and why should that be a problem can;t yuo ignore them ?

(asking questions I'll not answer). It really is that simple.

Qs you can't or won't anwser.

From the subject title.

If anyone came to you and asked you for a cap for a PP3 battery, how long would it take you to design the object and print it ?
When I'd hand the student a piece of insulation tape and ask them why they can't use this.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Jan 2018 18:41:08 +0000, Clive Arthur
wrote:

On 28/01/2018 11:55, Jim wrote:

Trying to find similar in the UK: anyone any idea if anyone sells them - other
than ebay plus postage of course

http://uk.farnell.com/keystone/96/pr...-9v/dp/1716316

Just solder a wire across the terminals and cut it when you want to use
the battery. Easy.

I tried that: the wire got very hot and the battery did not work well
afterwards.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

On Tue, 30 Jan 2018 04:06:09 -0800 (PST), whisky-dave
wrote:

snip

So, I'm trying to do you a favour by
suggesting you don't waste your time and weirdness on me as it won't
be read or replied to.

Then don't reply to my posts, it really is that simple.

Unfortunately that doesn't stop you continuing to reply to mine
(asking questions I'll not answer). It really is that simple.

Cheers, T i m

Perhaps someone has to refrain from having the last word. Most of them
have been said.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 28/01/2018 11:55, Jim wrote:

Trying to find similar in the UK: anyone any idea if anyone sells them - other
than ebay plus postage of course

http://uk.farnell.com/keystone/96/pr...-9v/dp/1716316

Just solder a wire across the terminals and cut it when you want to use
the battery. Easy.

I tried that: the wire got very hot and the battery did not work well
afterwards.

You soldered the wire the wrong way around ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 28/01/2018 11:55, Jim wrote:

Trying to find similar in the UK: anyone any idea if anyone sells them - other
than ebay plus postage of course

http://uk.farnell.com/keystone/96/pr...-9v/dp/1716316

Just solder a wire across the terminals and cut it when you want to use
the battery. Easy.

I tried that: the wire got very hot and the battery did not work well
afterwards.

You soldered the wire the wrong way around ;-)

I did that with a shottky diode across a DC motor. It got hot enough to
unsolder itself.

It survived.

let them."