Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dripping toilet

Hi all.
This sounds a weird one to me. In the bathroom of my daughter's flat
there is a toilet, sink, and bath. The bath has mixer taps and a
flexible hose to a shower head. Cold water is mains fed. Hot water is
from a water tank at mains pressure.
Everything works, but...
When you turn the shower head on, after several seconds water starts
dripping/running into the toilet bowl. I've only tested this briefly
using the cold water to the shower head. Running the sink or bath taps
does not cause this to happen.
What's the cause?

The toilet cistern is ceramic with a dual push button thing on the top.
If I try to lift the cistern lid, I am stopped by the mechanism attached
to these buttons. How do I remove the lid?

Ta.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Grumps Wrote in message:
Hi all.
This sounds a weird one to me. In the bathroom of my daughter's flat
there is a toilet, sink, and bath. The bath has mixer taps and a
flexible hose to a shower head. Cold water is mains fed. Hot water is
from a water tank at mains pressure.
Everything works, but...
When you turn the shower head on, after several seconds water starts
dripping/running into the toilet bowl. I've only tested this briefly
using the cold water to the shower head. Running the sink or bath taps
does not cause this to happen.
What's the cause?

The toilet cistern is ceramic with a dual push button thing on the top.
If I try to lift the cistern lid, I am stopped by the mechanism attached
to these buttons. How do I remove the lid?

Ta.

Depress buttons with fingers & rotate whole button assembly.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The cistern must be at overflowing level. A bit of a fluctuation in th
epressure is allowing the ball valve to pass a bit of water that is then
causing an overflow into the bowl - assuming it is an inegral overflow.

Try reducing the water level to about !cm below the overflow.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

DerbyBorn Wrote in message:
The cistern must be at overflowing level. A bit of a fluctuation in th
epressure is allowing the ball valve to pass a bit of water that is then
causing an overflow into the bowl - assuming it is an inegral overflow.

Try reducing the water level to about !cm below the overflow.

Worth a look but I can't think why that doesn't happen when sink
or bath taps operated?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Jan 2018 09:50:52 +0000 (GMT+00:00), jim k wrote:

Grumps Wrote in message:
[...]

Or lift the buttons out and undo the screw that will be revealed. If
you don't have any fingernails to get the buttons out use sellotape or
similar.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2018 09:50, jim wrote:
Grumps Wrote in message:
[...]

Or sometimes just unscrew the bezel while keeping the buttons still...

(some buttons have snap to length posts on the back that push down on
activators on the flush - others are connected via pneumatic tubes to
the flush mechanism - the latter kind don't like being "wound up" as such)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2018 12:43, jim wrote:

Worth a look but I can't think why that doesn't happen when sink
or bath taps operated?

Shower and toilet fed from the rising main, sink and bath taps fed froma
tank in the loft????

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 28/01/2018 09:50, jim wrote:
Grumps Wrote in message:
[...]

So you deal with those how? Jfi...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2018 19:28, alan_m wrote:
On 28/01/2018 12:43, jim wrote:

Worth a look but I can't think why that doesn't happen when sink
or bath taps operated?

Shower and toilet fed from the rising main, sink and bath taps fed froma
tank in the loft????

Unlikely, if it's a mains-pressure hot water system.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 28/01/2018 09:50, jim wrote:
Grumps Wrote in message:
[...]

I thought my Fluidmaster's were capilliary, but they turned out to be
Bowden cables.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jim k wrote:

DerbyBorn Wrote in message:
The cistern must be at overflowing level. A bit of a fluctuation in th
epressure is allowing the ball valve to pass a bit of water that is then
causing an overflow into the bowl - assuming it is an inegral overflow.

Try reducing the water level to about !cm below the overflow.

Worth a look but I can't think why that doesn't happen when sink
or bath taps operated?

Of course it shouldn't happen at all on dropping the pressure if the
ball valve is working properly. My theory is that some imperfection or
dirt on the seating allows it to leak when the pressure falls just below
the resting mains pressure (presumably regulated at the stree stopcock)
allowing part of the diaphragm to lift slightly. But when the pressure
falls further the shape changes further and it seals again at another
part of the diaphragm radius.. If this is true, there will be a rate of
carefully adjusted flow from the tap which will duplicate the effect of
the shower.
So, a testable hypothesis!

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2018 20:19, jim wrote:
John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 28/01/2018 09:50, jim wrote:
Grumps Wrote in message:
[...]

The bezel unscrews, but without rotating the whole assembly.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Of course it shouldn't happen at all on dropping the pressure if the
ball valve is working properly. My theory is that some imperfection
or dirt on the seating allows it to leak when the pressure falls just
below the resting mains pressure (presumably regulated at the stree
stopcock) allowing part of the diaphragm to lift slightly. But when
the pressure falls further the shape changes further and it seals
again at another part of the diaphragm radius.. If this is true,
there will be a rate of carefully adjusted flow from the tap which
will duplicate the effect of the shower.
So, a testable hypothesis!

Stop taps don't regulate pressure - only flow. The static pressure remains
the same.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

this briefly using the cold water to the shower head. Running the
sink or bath taps does not cause this to happen.

Possibly the shower causes almost a "water hammer" effect but the taps
don't.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:

Of course it shouldn't happen at all on dropping the pressure if the
ball valve is working properly. My theory is that some imperfection
or dirt on the seating allows it to leak when the pressure falls just
below the resting mains pressure (presumably regulated at the stree
stopcock) allowing part of the diaphragm to lift slightly. But when
the pressure falls further the shape changes further and it seals
again at another part of the diaphragm radius.. If this is true,
there will be a rate of carefully adjusted flow from the tap which
will duplicate the effect of the shower.
So, a testable hypothesis!

Stop taps don't regulate pressure - only flow. The static pressure remains
the same.

Oh really? The main outside my house is at 11bar pressure (static, due
to hill) and immediately downstream of my stopcock, and in the same
access space, is an adjustable regulator set to 4bar, although the
technicians who changed it recently set it to 3bar. I suspect that
this arrangement prevails most places where the mains runs much above
3bar, but I don't know how common this is.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Hayter wrote:

DerbyBorn wrote:

Stop taps don't regulate pressure - only flow. The static pressure remains
the same.

Oh really? The main outside my house is at 11bar pressure (static, due
to hill) and immediately downstream of my stopcock, and in the same
access space, is an adjustable regulator set to 4bar, although the
technicians who changed it recently set it to 3bar.

So you agree, the stop tap is not regulating pressure, it is done
(surprise) by the regulator?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon wrote in
:

Roger Hayter wrote:

DerbyBorn wrote:

Stop taps don't regulate pressure - only flow. The static pressure
remains the same.

Oh really? The main outside my house is at 11bar pressure (static,
due to hill) and immediately downstream of my stopcock, and in the
same access space, is an adjustable regulator set to 4bar, although
the technicians who changed it recently set it to 3bar.

So you agree, the stop tap is not regulating pressure, it is done
(surprise) by the regulator?

Chris

Thanks Chris! Regulator and Stop Tap are different devices.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon wrote:

Roger Hayter wrote:

DerbyBorn wrote:

Stop taps don't regulate pressure - only flow. The static pressure remains
the same.

Oh really? The main outside my house is at 11bar pressure (static, due
to hill) and immediately downstream of my stopcock, and in the same
access space, is an adjustable regulator set to 4bar, although the
technicians who changed it recently set it to 3bar.

So you agree, the stop tap is not regulating pressure, it is done
(surprise) by the regulator?

Chris

Indeed; which is why I said it was regulated "at" the stopcock, and
didn't say it was regulated "by" the stopcock.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Hayter wrote:

Chris J Dixon wrote:

Roger Hayter wrote:

DerbyBorn wrote:

Stop taps don't regulate pressure - only flow. The static pressure
remains the same.

Oh really? The main outside my house is at 11bar pressure (static, due
to hill) and immediately downstream of my stopcock, and in the same
access space, is an adjustable regulator set to 4bar, although the
technicians who changed it recently set it to 3bar.

So you agree, the stop tap is not regulating pressure, it is done
(surprise) by the regulator?

Chris

Indeed; which is why I said it was regulated "at" the stopcock, and
didn't say it was regulated "by" the stopcock.

And I was including the case where the actual main was regulated. This
may FAIK be common, although I understand some people do suffer from
lower mains pressure at peak usage times.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/18 23:54, Roger Hayter wrote:
Stop taps don't regulate pressure - only flow. The static pressure remains
the same.

Oh really? The main outside my house is at 11bar pressure (static, due
to hill) and immediately downstream of my stopcock, and in the same
access space, is an adjustable regulator set to 4bar

An adjustable regulator is not the same as a stop tap.

"Saki"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 29/01/18 23:54, Roger Hayter wrote:
Stop taps don't regulate pressure - only flow. The static pressure remains
the same.

Oh really? The main outside my house is at 11bar pressure (static, due
to hill) and immediately downstream of my stopcock, and in the same
access space, is an adjustable regulator set to 4bar

An adjustable regulator is not the same as a stop tap.

No. Which is why I said "at" the stop tap rather than regulated by it.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Hayter wrote:

Chris J Dixon wrote:

Roger Hayter wrote:

DerbyBorn wrote:

Stop taps don't regulate pressure - only flow. The static pressure remains
the same.

Oh really? The main outside my house is at 11bar pressure (static, due
to hill) and immediately downstream of my stopcock, and in the same
access space, is an adjustable regulator set to 4bar, although the
technicians who changed it recently set it to 3bar.

So you agree, the stop tap is not regulating pressure, it is done
(surprise) by the regulator?

Indeed; which is why I said it was regulated "at" the stopcock, and
didn't say it was regulated "by" the stopcock.

So, what were you intending to convey by "Oh really?"

IME the phrase is generally used preceding a contrary statement.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon wrote:

Roger Hayter wrote:

Chris J Dixon wrote:

Roger Hayter wrote:

DerbyBorn wrote:

Stop taps don't regulate pressure - only flow. The static pressure
remains the same.

Oh really? The main outside my house is at 11bar pressure (static, due
to hill) and immediately downstream of my stopcock, and in the same
access space, is an adjustable regulator set to 4bar, although the
technicians who changed it recently set it to 3bar.

So you agree, the stop tap is not regulating pressure, it is done
(surprise) by the regulator?

Indeed; which is why I said it was regulated "at" the stopcock, and
didn't say it was regulated "by" the stopcock.

So, what were you intending to convey by "Oh really?"

IME the phrase is generally used preceding a contrary statement.

Chris

I was replying to "the pressure remains the same", and didn't realise
you were so literally referring to the tap itself rather than all supply
equipment. I thought you were claiming that individual customers did
not have a regulated supply. Sorry I misunderstood. I didn't realise
you were actually telling me that taps don't regulate pressure, because
it is sort of obvious.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Hayter wrote:
Chris J Dixon wrote:

Roger Hayter wrote:

Chris J Dixon wrote:

Roger Hayter wrote:

DerbyBorn wrote:

[...]

Certainly is once it was pointed out to you.

Just out of interest, what percentage of households have €œsupply equipment€
in the street? Ive never lived anywhere with anything more sophisticated
than a stopcock in the street. Id hazard a guess that this probably
applies to 99% of households (but I could be wrong).

Anyone know?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

Roger Hayter wrote:
Chris J Dixon wrote:

Roger Hayter wrote:

Chris J Dixon wrote:

Roger Hayter wrote:

DerbyBorn wrote:

[...]

Just out of interest, what percentage of households have "supply equipment"
in the street? I've never lived anywhere with anything more sophisticated
than a stopcock in the street. I'd hazard a guess that this probably
applies to 99% of households (but I could be wrong).

Anyone know?

Tim

I don't know either. But the point of the original comment is that most
people have regulated mains if they don't have their own house
regulater. And this makes sense of the OP's symptoms being due to
change in pressure. It wouldn't make sense if the mains pressure was
changing all the time anyway. I share your interest in how common our
arrangement is, though!

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/01/2018 00:55, Roger Hayter wrote:
I share your interest in how common our
arrangement is, though!

Anecdote isn't evidence, but while I've heard of these devices I've
never seen one.There's definitely not been one in any of our 4 houses,
and for the last one not in the road either - they dug it all up to put
in a meter, and I saw what they did. I'm pretty sure there isn't one in
any of our children's places, nor my parent's more recent ones - which
makes over a dozen.

I suppose there _could_ be one hidden in an inaccessible place, away
from the company's stopcock but it seem unlikely. You'd want to be able
to fix it.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2018 09:43, Grumps wrote:
Hi all.
This sounds a weird one to me. In the bathroom of my daughter's flat
there is a toilet, sink, and bath. The bath has mixer taps and a
flexible hose to a shower head. Cold water is mains fed. Hot water is
from a water tank at mains pressure.
Everything works, but...
When you turn the shower head on, after several seconds water starts
dripping/running into the toilet bowl. I've only tested this briefly
using the cold water to the shower head. Running the sink or bath taps
does not cause this to happen.
What's the cause?

The toilet cistern is ceramic with a dual push button thing on the top.
If I try to lift the cistern lid, I am stopped by the mechanism attached
to these buttons. How do I remove the lid?

Ta.

So, I've managed to get the lid off the cistern just by lifting the two
plungers and unscrewing the large plastic screw that is revealed.
When the shower is in operation, it is obvious that the toilet fill
valve (like this:
http://www.flushking.co.uk/adjustabl...ve-brass-shank) admits
water until it reaches the internal overflow.
The fill valve operates normally when the toilet is flushed.
I'm still at a loss to explain fully what is happening, but does this
type of fill valve rely on incoming water pressure to hold it closed?
That, as I think others have mentioned, might explain it.
Solution: replace fill valve?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grumps wrote:

[...]

It shouldn't leak at any pressure. But as someone said a very small
leak is less likely to be a problem if you adjust the float so the water
level is at least a cm (or 1/2" in old money) below the overflow when
the valve closes. If it does leak at any pressure at all then it might
be worth replacing. It may be possible to replace the washer/diaphragm
but it the valve is such a mass of fiddly little plastic bits that it is
probably better to replace the whole lot.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/2018 13:58, Roger Hayter wrote:
Grumps wrote:

[...]

If its like the one in the link, then its probably worth popping the top
off and cleaning any crud out from around the diaphragm.

With many like that, if you turn off the water to the valve. Fully lift
the fill arm, then push down on the cap and give it a firm 1/8th turn
anti-clockwise, it will unclip from its bayonet like fitting. You can
then take the pin and rubber bit out, and flush some water through the
valve stem to clear anything trapped under it.

--
Cheers,

John.

toilet, toilet, TOILET!!!!! Bill Baxter Home Repair 6 March 12th 16 10:52 PM
Toilet cistern ball valve dripping already! MM UK diy 9 April 6th 14 03:14 PM
Dripping toilet GoogaICQ Home Repair 48 September 5th 12 03:15 AM
New Toilet Installation - Dripping Noise Cornerman Home Repair 7 April 20th 07 03:35 AM
Dripping toilet tank causing overflow paulfoel UK diy 5 March 8th 05 03:36 PM