Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default GU10 240V LED bulbs - any to avoid?

Slowly grinding on with the cooker hood.
I finally got the whole thing apart today, which included having to take
out the GU10 light fittings and take off the chrome trim.

Bad deed of the day - I looked at the back of the fittings and there
seemed to be a big black tab to turn to free them. Hmmm....bit stiff. Bit
of extra twist with the pliers. There, done.

Followed by the sound of bits of GU10 falling down inside the casing.
Turns out they weren't catches, but the whole fitting turned. As the
fitting was a right angle elbow, the lights needed removing first. Ah,
well, one needed replacing anyway.

So to GU10 LEDs of 50W equivalent. Screwfix lists quite a few different
manufacturers.

https://www.screwfix.com/c/all-light-bulbs/cat8350001?
capfittingtype=gu10#capfittingtype=gu10&equivalent wattage=50_w&sort_by=price

Any to go for, any to avoid?

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2018 16:35, David wrote:

Any to go for, any to avoid?

Possibly a different dimension from the ones you had in mind but FWIW
"ones with the wrong beam angle".

What that means for your cooker hood depends on where the light is, its
height and the area to be lit. But one of my pet hates is people who fit
narrow beam where wide is needed to illuminate the target area; and
(less common) those who fit wide where narrow is needed to avoid glare.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

David Wrote in message:
[...]

Are you 100% sure these are GU10s in the cooker hood?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 19:13:00 +0000, jim wrote:

David Wrote in message:
[...]

Well, I was until you questioned it.

They look like GU10s with the two dimples which lock into the fitting.

Not sure what else they could be?

Ah! Well spotted that person.

Apparently they are G4W halogen lights. Just found that in the manual.
Then again I can't seem to find any reference on line to a GW4 halogen -
and the model in the manual looks slightly different.

As you were - they are GU10s because fortunately I haven't thrown the
broken remains of the old ones away yet and it has GU10 printed on the
ceramic bit.

Phew!

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

David Wrote in message:
[...]

Sorted! :-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

-
and the model in the manual looks slightly different.

As you were - they are GU10s because fortunately I haven't thrown the
broken remains of the old ones away yet and it has GU10 printed on the
ceramic bit.

Phew!

Sorted! :-)

All I need now is an answer to my original question, which was a request
for recommendations for brands of LED GU10 bulbs.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

David Wrote in message:
[...]

An absence of definitive "brand" recommendations presumably means
don't go too cheap & don't feel the need to go high... After all
"brands" are sold & bought for precisely the reasons you are
attaching weight to them...

Buy local (toolsatan /screwfux) & you can return easier if not
good enough, easier returns
than say eBay from China , but you'll
pay more for that privilege...

Amazon?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Jan 2018 21:43:26 GMT, David wrote:

All I need now is an answer to my original question, which was a request
for recommendations for brands of LED GU10 bulbs.

Not the cheapest and there's delivery of £2.99, but Ledlam.co.uk has a
choice of colour temperature equivalents and is, IME, only 24h on standard
delivery.
After extensive searching on ebay and Amazon, I'm leaning towards Ledlam in
spite of the delivery charge - it hurts!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away