Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Central Heating Circulator Pump

My pump has got noisy, it's 35 years old. I propose to replace it.

I'm wary of circulator pumps in the £20-£40 range. Has anybody tried
the CBS Intel 15-60 130, about £70, which claims to be A rated [Though
it seems odd to worry about 50 watts when you are burning 20 kilowatts
of gas.]

The Grundfos competitor seems very expensive, but I expect it's better.

-- Take the dog out to email

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike wrote:

My pump has got noisy, it's 35 years old. I propose to replace it.

I'm wary of circulator pumps in the £20-£40 range. Has anybody tried
the CBS Intel 15-60 130, about £70, which claims to be A rated [Though
it seems odd to worry about 50 watts when you are burning 20 kilowatts
of gas.]

The Grundfos competitor seems very expensive, but I expect it's better.

our original Grundfos lasted from 1988 until last year. A good life.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/01/2018 11:20, Mike wrote:

My pump has got noisy, it's 35 years old. I propose to replace it.

I'm wary of circulator pumps in the £20-£40 range. Has anybody tried
the CBS Intel 15-60 130, about £70, which claims to be A rated [Though
it seems odd to worry about 50 watts when you are burning 20 kilowatts
of gas.]

The Grundfos competitor seems very expensive, but I expect it's better.

-- Take the dog out to email

I replaced mine during the summer with a DAB Evosta (£80 from
Toolstation) and am well satisfied with it

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Heating+%26+Insulation/d230/Central+Heating+Pumps/sd3305/DAB+Evosta+Central+Heating+Circulating+Pump/p18243

or

https://tinyurl.com/y8pt4vt9

You can run it as a conventional 3 fixed speed pump or as differential
pressure proportional speed (6 modes)

Instruction manual (in multiple languages per page)
http://dna.dabpumps.com/dat/Docs/DAB...d_60166340.pdf

BTW, the wiring connector unplugs on these pumps which may not be
obvious when you get the pump out of the box. The watertight cable
strain relief slides out allowing you to wire up the plug part of the
connector and then slide the whole assembly back.

After 35 years the values either side of your pump may no longer work -
or leak once turned back on so possibly make provision for a new set of
valves and/or draining down the system to a level where you can replace
the pump. While the pump may be the same length don't assume a new
valve set is the same length as the old.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/01/18 11:20, Mike wrote:

My pump has got noisy, it's 35 years old. I propose to replace it.

I'm wary of circulator pumps in the £20-£40 range. Has anybody tried
the CBS Intel 15-60 130, about £70, which claims to be A rated [Though
it seems odd to worry about 50 watts when you are burning 20 kilowatts
of gas.]

The Grundfos competitor seems very expensive, but I expect it's better.

-- Take the dog out to email

Stick with Grundfos. Costs more, but they work.

You can get ones with variable speed (manual or auto) - the manual is
useful as you can set it just high enough to do the job, but minimise
the noise.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:
In article ,
Mike wrote:

My pump has got noisy, it's 35 years old. I propose to replace it.

I'm wary of circulator pumps in the £20-£40 range. Has anybody tried
the CBS Intel 15-60 130, about £70, which claims to be A rated [Though
it seems odd to worry about 50 watts when you are burning 20 kilowatts
of gas.]

The Grundfos competitor seems very expensive, but I expect it's better.

our original Grundfos lasted from 1988 until last year. A good life.

I nearly replaced our 30 year-old Grundfos last year. But after I
opened it up and scraped all the black crust out, I just put it back.
It's quiet and happy again now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
charles wrote:
In article ,
Mike wrote:

My pump has got noisy, it's 35 years old. I propose to replace it.

I'm wary of circulator pumps in the £20-£40 range. Has anybody tried
the CBS Intel 15-60 130, about £70, which claims to be A rated [Though
it seems odd to worry about 50 watts when you are burning 20 kilowatts
of gas.]

The Grundfos competitor seems very expensive, but I expect it's better.

our original Grundfos lasted from 1988 until last year. A good life.

I nearly replaced our 30 year-old Grundfos last year. But after I
opened it up and scraped all the black crust out, I just put it back.
It's quiet and happy again now.

Sadly, someone who came to flush our system, put it back with the shaft at
an angle. The bearings didn't like it.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/01/2018 15:39, charles wrote:
In article ,
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
charles wrote:
In article ,
Mike wrote:

My pump has got noisy, it's 35 years old. I propose to replace it.

I'm wary of circulator pumps in the £20-£40 range. Has anybody tried
the CBS Intel 15-60 130, about £70, which claims to be A rated [Though
it seems odd to worry about 50 watts when you are burning 20 kilowatts
of gas.]

The Grundfos competitor seems very expensive, but I expect it's better.

our original Grundfos lasted from 1988 until last year. A good life.

I nearly replaced our 30 year-old Grundfos last year. But after I
opened it up and scraped all the black crust out, I just put it back.
It's quiet and happy again now.

Sadly, someone who came to flush our system, put it back with the shaft at
an angle. The bearings didn't like it.

Surprising. My Grundfos pump lasted about 30 years and the shaft was
deliberately set not to be horizontal as per the instructions. Undoing
the large nuts was very difficult. Job for the vice.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles writes:
Sadly, someone who came to flush our system, put it back with the shaft at
an angle. The bearings didn't like it.

Yes, the shaft must be horizontal or slope downwards away
from the pipework, to ensure the bearing is full of water
and not in an air pocket. Water is the lubricant.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 6 January 2018 11:19:29 UTC, Mike wrote:
My pump has got noisy, it's 35 years old. I propose to replace it.

I'm wary of circulator pumps in the £20-£40 range. Has anybody tried
the CBS Intel 15-60 130, about £70, which claims to be A rated [Though
it seems odd to worry about 50 watts when you are burning 20 kilowatts
of gas.]

The Grundfos competitor seems very expensive, but I expect it's better.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ng_pump_repair

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/01/2018 11:20, Mike wrote:

My pump has got noisy, it's 35 years old. I propose to replace it.

I'm wary of circulator pumps in the £20-£40 range. Has anybody tried
the CBS Intel 15-60 130, about £70, which claims to be A rated [Though
it seems odd to worry about 50 watts when you are burning 20 kilowatts
of gas.]

The Grundfos competitor seems very expensive, but I expect it's better.

A few months ago when the weather started to get cold I noticed that our old Wilo pump was noisy and not pumping very well so the boiler was cycling on and off rather a lot. So I replaced it with a Grundfos Alpha2 L 15-60. It is much quieter and pumps very well even on an intermediate setting. Afterwards I was able to take apart the Wilo pump and found that the slots in its rotor were pretty much gunged up with black scale-like stuff. My guess is that this affected the performance quite a bit, so maybe it didn't really need to be replaced. So I'd recommend Grundfos over Wilo, but it might be worth taking your old pump apart, if you can, to de-coke it first.

--
Clive Page