Posted to uk.d-i-y
Clive Page[_2_] Clive Page[_2_] is offline

Default Central Heating Circulator Pump

On 06/01/2018 11:20, Mike wrote:

My pump has got noisy, it's 35 years old. I propose to replace it.

I'm wary of circulator pumps in the £20-£40 range. Has anybody tried
the CBS Intel 15-60 130, about £70, which claims to be A rated [Though
it seems odd to worry about 50 watts when you are burning 20 kilowatts
of gas.]

The Grundfos competitor seems very expensive, but I expect it's better.

A few months ago when the weather started to get cold I noticed that our old Wilo pump was noisy and not pumping very well so the boiler was cycling on and off rather a lot. So I replaced it with a Grundfos Alpha2 L 15-60. It is much quieter and pumps very well even on an intermediate setting. Afterwards I was able to take apart the Wilo pump and found that the slots in its rotor were pretty much gunged up with black scale-like stuff. My guess is that this affected the performance quite a bit, so maybe it didn't really need to be replaced. So I'd recommend Grundfos over Wilo, but it might be worth taking your old pump apart, if you can, to de-coke it first.

--
Clive Page