Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electric Oven Temp Control

I've noticed that over the last couple of weeks, food has been coming out
of our oven under-done. From time to time in the past I've used an infra-
red laser/gun type device to check the dial temp indicator actually
matches the heat produced and it's always been spot-on up until very
recently. My initial thought was the heating element may have gone hi-res
and replacing it would cure the problem, but then I thought maybe it's a
fault with the control. Anyone know electric ovens generate the required
temperature? I'm guessing it's probably something as simple as a bi-
metallic strip arrangement, since a reostat would be *horrifically*
inefficient and a burst-firing thyristor inherently unreliable in that
environment.
Any ideas?
Ta!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 5 January 2018 19:27:06 UTC, Cursitor Doom wrote:
I've noticed that over the last couple of weeks, food has been coming out
of our oven under-done. From time to time in the past I've used an infra-
red laser/gun type device to check the dial temp indicator actually
matches the heat produced and it's always been spot-on up until very
recently. My initial thought was the heating element may have gone hi-res
and replacing it would cure the problem, but then I thought maybe it's a
fault with the control. Anyone know electric ovens generate the required
temperature? I'm guessing it's probably something as simple as a bi-
metallic strip arrangement, since a reostat would be *horrifically*
inefficient and a burst-firing thyristor inherently unreliable in that
environment.
Any ideas?
Ta!

yes a bimetal stat.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote

I've noticed that over the last couple of weeks, food has been coming
out of our oven under-done. From time to time in the past I've used an
infra-red laser/gun type device to check the dial temp indicator actually
matches the heat produced and it's always been spot-on up until very
recently. My initial thought was the heating element may have gone hi-res
and replacing it would cure the problem, but then I thought maybe it's a
fault with the control. Anyone know electric ovens generate the required
temperature? I'm guessing it's probably something as simple as a bi-
metallic strip arrangement, since a reostat would be *horrifically*
inefficient and a burst-firing thyristor inherently unreliable in that
environment.

Yes, they do have a thermostat. I've had one fail and replaced it.

They usually either work or they dont tho, dont usually shift
the calibration. The knob usually doesnt shift on the shaft either.

Obvious thing to do is check the calibration again, but maybe
you borrowed the IR thermometer and can't do that easily now.

Any ideas?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote:
I've noticed that over the last couple of weeks, food has been coming out
of our oven under-done. From time to time in the past I've used an infra-
red laser/gun type device to check the dial temp indicator actually
matches the heat produced and it's always been spot-on up until very
recently. My initial thought was the heating element may have gone hi-res
and replacing it would cure the problem, but then I thought maybe it's a
fault with the control. Anyone know electric ovens generate the required
temperature? I'm guessing it's probably something as simple as a bi-
metallic strip arrangement, since a reostat would be *horrifically*
inefficient and a burst-firing thyristor inherently unreliable in that
environment.
Any ideas?
Ta!

Quite often they have two elements one each side. Sometime in series
which leads to catastrophic failure or elements in parallel and if one
fails, give the symptoms you describe. Pretty rare for a thermostat to
drift off calibration.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 5 January 2018 22:12:19 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

They usually either work or they dont tho, dont usually shift
the calibration. The knob usually doesnt shift on the shaft either.

Obvious thing to do is check the calibration again, but maybe
you borrowed the IR thermometer and can't do that easily now.

only a fiver on ebay now

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Friday, 5 January 2018 22:12:19 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

They usually either work or they dont tho, dont usually shift
the calibration. The knob usually doesnt shift on the shaft either.

Obvious thing to do is check the calibration again, but maybe
you borrowed the IR thermometer and can't do that easily now.

only a fiver on ebay now

Worth checking that the oven doesnt have dual elements
and one has failed tho. May not be enough to heat the oven
to the higher temps now and easy to check if one isnt heating.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Ovens usually have an oil filled phial connected to the control with a capilliary tube which expands on heating.

Some can be adjusted/calibrated by a screw on the back of the control knob "box". Others were adjusted by indenting the phial.
You may be able to see the phial inside the oven. (Usually near the top rear).

They usually fail because of a tiny oil leak.

There can be up to three elements in your oven, they will need to be checked out individually.
You may be able to see them inside the oven. If so, you can check them by touch after they have been "on" for a few seconds" Obviously be careful, depower before touching.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
[...]

Pointless, the body is still earthed fine.