Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bosh GSR cordless screwdriver

I have a Bosh GSR 12v Professional cordless screwdriver.
It must be well over 10 years old now, mainly used for employment work. I've
never been too impressed with the battery life. I'd put the batteries on
charge and when the green light on the charger stopped flashing I took the
batteries off charge - as in the instruction manual. It lives in the garage.
I don't use it much these days, but try to keep the batteries charged. I
charged them a few days ago and was disappointed that I could grip the chuck
with my hand and the screwdriver REALLY slowed down on both batteries. I
could have stopped it. Aww well, time for a new one. Anyway, I shoved both
batteries back on charge and left overnight. Now the screwdriver blasts away
with a speed I've never seen before, no way can I hold the chuck.
When the green light was flashing the batteries were warm. Cold when the
light stopped flashing.
Has the green light on the charger been lying to me for all of these years?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/01/2018 18:43, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Has the green light on the charger been lying to me for all of these years?

Often people with disability scooters think they have a faulty battery
when in fact they are misinterpreting the charger's green light. Often
it means 'good enough to use' not 'fully charged'. I always advise that
people leave the machine on charge overnight even if the green light has
come on. The problem is that batteries develop quite a high voltage a
long time before they are fully charged.
Incidentally some of the cheaper machines come with a small
non-intelligent charger that takes an inconveniently long time to fully
charge. For instance one machine that has a 15A battery has a basic 2A
charger with a rather low off-load voltage. Fine you might think but
because the charge starts at 2A but then tapers off very rapidly an
overnight charge is not sufficient.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:
[...]

Cheers Bill. The manual (long ago chucked out) did say that when the green
light is solid the battery is fully charged.
*******s!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Probably also of course cold batteries do not hold the charge that well. Is
it old enough that these are in fact Ni-cads?
Half the trouble is self discharge as they age, so unless its left on
charge it discharges. Older chargers were not that smart.
This was probably why they said take it off charge then so you did not over
cook them.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/18 08:34, Brian Gaff wrote:
Probably also of course cold batteries do not hold the charge that well. Is
it old enough that these are in fact Ni-cads?
Half the trouble is self discharge as they age, so unless its left on
charge it discharges. Older chargers were not that smart.
This was probably why they said take it off charge then so you did not over
cook them.
Brian

Pretty sure none of the GSRs (I have an early model) were anything other
than lithium based.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/01/2018 19:53, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Incidentally some of the cheaper machines come with a small
non-intelligent charger that takes an inconveniently long time to
fully charge. For instance one machine that has a 15A battery has a
basic 2A charger with a rather low off-load voltage. Fine you might
think but because the charge starts at 2A but then tapers off very
rapidly an overnight charge is not sufficient.

Bill

Cheers Bill. The manual (long ago chucked out) did say that when the green
light is solid the battery is fully charged.
*******s!

It might be telling the truth, but I know that with a lot of scooters
and their supplied chargers the green light is misleading. Of course the
whole situation is messy because sometimes the scooters arrive at the
retailers without batteries. The retailers fit batteries of varying
capacities and qualities. Sometimes they also supply a charger that they
buy as cheap as poss from elsewhere. Then there's Li-ion...

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:
[...]

A mate on email told me that when the green light becomes solid the
screwdriver is "fit to go". Hmmmmm. Yeah it went, but not for too very long.
The batteries are NiMH ..............whatever they are ........
Both batteries have been on charge for a good 24 hours and the screwdriver
goes like a house on fire.
On ebay the batteries are pushing 20 quid each, I can get half a decent
cordless screwdriver for that, and that these days is all that I would need.
I have suspicions about the honesty of the recharging instructions. I was
once told that all batteries are chipped, this to give them a limited life.

Bosh Bosh Bosh The Medway Handyman[_3_] UK diy 44 November 3rd 10 12:16 PM
Bosh Drill Sam Farrell[_2_] UK diy 12 September 7th 08 04:00 PM
Bosh dishwasher arm not rotating - SRS43A02GB Carl UK diy 2 May 26th 06 11:12 PM
Which Tankless? Bosh, Rinnai, Takagi or? Scott Townsend Home Repair 25 February 13th 06 12:33 AM
Bosh drill - chuck removing Arkady Woodworking 3 January 15th 05 02:04 AM