Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dremel died - repair (if possible) or replace?

Hi

I have used my Dremel 3000 on and off for 2 years. I like the size and the flexibility of the tool to clean up bits of rust, polish details or smooth rough edges after cutting wood.

Today I was using the Dremel to remove an old plastic gutter pipe glued into a bend fitting. The Dremel just stopped. No laboured sounds . No smell of burnt coils or whatever burns in an electric motor.

I have checked the fuse on the Dremel and the power socket. Is there any chance of getting this serviced (I doubt it) or is it another device for the landfill? Amazon are advertising a similar "Apollo" 170W device for £25 but of course its bulkier than the Dremel 3000 and the Apollo doesn't seem to have the neat chuck unscrewing setup the Dremel has.

Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 1 January 2018 15:03:10 UTC, wrote:
Hi

I have used my Dremel 3000 on and off for 2 years. I like the size and the flexibility of the tool to clean up bits of rust, polish details or smooth rough edges after cutting wood.

Today I was using the Dremel to remove an old plastic gutter pipe glued into a bend fitting. The Dremel just stopped. No laboured sounds . No smell of burnt coils or whatever burns in an electric motor.

I have checked the fuse on the Dremel and the power socket. Is there any chance of getting this serviced (I doubt it) or is it another device for the landfill? Amazon are advertising a similar "Apollo" 170W device for £25 but of course its bulkier than the Dremel 3000 and the Apollo doesn't seem to have the neat chuck unscrewing setup the Dremel has.

Clive

check the switch if you can access it

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

clive.r.long wrote:

The Dremel just stopped. No laboured sounds . No smell of burnt coils
or whatever burns in an electric motor.

Try unscrewing then re-screwing the brush-holders (the tip of the collet
spanner is designed to fit if you haven't mislaid it).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Hi

I have used my Dremel 3000 on and off for 2 years. I like the size and
the flexibility of the tool to clean up bits of rust, polish details or
smooth rough edges after cutting wood.

Today I was using the Dremel to remove an old plastic gutter pipe glued
into a bend fitting. The Dremel just stopped. No laboured sounds . No
smell of burnt coils or whatever burns in an electric motor.

I have checked the fuse on the Dremel and the power socket. Is there any
chance of getting this serviced (I doubt it) or is it another device for
the landfill? Amazon are advertising a similar "Apollo" 170W device for
£25 but of course its bulkier than the Dremel 3000 and the Apollo doesn't
seem to have the neat chuck unscrewing setup the Dremel has.

Clive

First think Id test is the continuity of the cable. Repeated flexing of
the cable at the appliance end is a very common cause of internal breaks in
the wire.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2018 16:16, Tim+ wrote:
wrote:
[...]

+1
I've had several power tools fail because of discontinuities just
inside. Try turning it on and waggling the cable where it enters the
tool. If you can get it to run - albeit intermittently - by doing that,
it will point to the problem.

If this *is* the problem, you'll need to cut a few inches off the end of
the cable and then re-make the connection.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 1 January 2018 19:51:07 UTC, Roger Mills wrote:
On 01/01/2018 16:16, Tim+ wrote:
wrote:
[...]

and if it's moulded onto the cable, make a new strain relief.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 1 January 2018 15:49:26 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
clive.r.long wrote:

The Dremel just stopped. No laboured sounds . No smell of burnt coils
or whatever burns in an electric motor.

Try unscrewing then re-screwing the brush-holders (the tip of the collet
spanner is designed to fit if you haven't mislaid it).

The carbon brushes seemed to me to have a decent length and the spring has to be substantially compressed when the plastic caps are replaced so I am sure good contact is being made with the motor armature (?). Reminded me of the motors of Scalextrics cars from my childhood.

I waggled the power cable near the "strain relief" to see if there was some kind of intermittent connection. This didn't cause the Dremel to burst intermittently into life.

I will try and take it all apart tomorrow and see if the appearance of a loose wire jumps out. I know I cant make the situation worse than it is.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

clive.r.long wrote:

The Dremel just stopped. No laboured sounds . No smell of burnt coils
or whatever burns in an electric motor.

Try unscrewing then re-screwing the brush-holders (the tip of the collet
spanner is designed to fit if you haven't mislaid it).

The carbon brushes seemed to me to have a decent length and the spring has to be substantially compressed when the plastic caps are replaced so I am sure good contact is being made with the motor armature (?). Reminded me of the motors of Scalextrics cars from my childhood.

do you get continuity through the motor?

I waggled the power cable near the "strain relief" to see if there was some kind of intermittent connection. This didn't cause the Dremel to burst intermittently into life.

I will try and take it all apart tomorrow and see if the appearance of a loose wire jumps out. I know I cant make the situation worse than it is.

You've accessed enough points to narrow down where the break is to a useful extent. If you don't have a multimeter, get one!

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 1 January 2018 22:43:06 UTC, wrote:
With the help of You Tube videos I managed to get the case off.

do you get continuity through the motor?

I waggled the power cable near the "strain relief" to see if there was some kind of intermittent connection. This didn't cause the Dremel to burst intermittently into life.

I will try and take it all apart tomorrow and see if the appearance of a loose wire jumps out. I know I cant make the situation worse than it is.

You've accessed enough points to narrow down where the break is to a useful extent. If you don't have a multimeter, get one!

NT

The videos show where to test for power continuity. The common failure seems to be the fine armature wires on the stator (I think that is the correct term) are push-fit into an aluminium connector that then connects to the electronics. Often that clip to wire connection fractures. If that is the problem, and it will be pretty visible when I take it apart more later (tomorrow), then unwinding some armature wire and refitting the clip seems pretty straightforward.

I will keep you updated.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 2 January 2018 21:52:11 UTC, newshound wrote:
On 01/01/2018 15:03, wrote:
Hi

I have used my Dremel 3000 on and off for 2 years. I like the size and the flexibility of the tool to clean up bits of rust, polish details or smooth rough edges after cutting wood.

Today I was using the Dremel to remove an old plastic gutter pipe glued into a bend fitting. The Dremel just stopped. No laboured sounds . No smell of burnt coils or whatever burns in an electric motor.

I have checked the fuse on the Dremel and the power socket. Is there any chance of getting this serviced (I doubt it) or is it another device for the landfill? Amazon are advertising a similar "Apollo" 170W device for £25 but of course its bulkier than the Dremel 3000 and the Apollo doesn't seem to have the neat chuck unscrewing setup the Dremel has.

Clive

I had one die a while ago, from Mr Google the chip in the speed
controller is a known weakness, checked and found it blown, so replaced
it. Still didn't work. At that point I engaged the brain, checked the
field coil and found that blown too.

Replacement coils are readily available for half the price of a new one,
but by then my confidence in their reliability was blown, and someone
posted a Draper offer here about the same time so bought one of them.

A shame really, the proper "industrial" Dremels are virtually
indestructable but it comes at a price.

I'm lucky, mine's 40 plus years old, and as you say it was not cheap.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 2 January 2018 09:38:59 UTC, wrote:

The videos show where to test for power continuity. The common failure seems to be the fine armature wires on the stator (I think that is the correct term) are push-fit into an aluminium connector that then connects to the electronics. Often that clip to wire connection fractures. If that is the problem, and it will be pretty visible when I take it apart more later (tomorrow), then unwinding some armature wire and refitting the clip seems pretty straightforward.

I will keep you updated.

As in the several YouTube videos on fixing a Dremel 3000, one of the very thin wires from the stator coil had broken near the push fit connector. I prised out the connector, unwound some coil and pushed the wire and connector back into the plastic body of the stator. The Dremel now works (for how long?). I guess similar to any modern manufactured good, the materials from which the Dremel is made look a bit flimsy and the connections are pushed together. Cheap to manufacture. I'm going to buy the Apollo 170W device which looks a bit more heavyweight and use that for more "heavyweight" jobs.

Clive