Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Can you replace Dremel bearings

I'm posting this here, because I figure a lot of you guys have dremels
and are used to fixing things. So, can the Dremel motor bearings be
replaced? Mine goes crazy above 1/2 speed. And where can I get the
bearings?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
I'm posting this here, because I figure a lot of you guys have dremels
and are used to fixing things. So, can the Dremel motor bearings be
replaced? Mine goes crazy above 1/2 speed. And where can I get the
bearings?

I doubt you will be able to replace the bearings on your Dremel for less than the cost of
a new tool when you factor in your valuable time and fuel. However, I am also one who
will spend US$300 in time and money to accomplish almost as much good as tossing the old
tool and buying a new one for US$50. Just Because.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dremel-Moto-Tool...QQcmdZViewItem

When in doubt, ask the Horse, because the problem may not be bearings:
http://www.dremel.com/en-us/customer-service/faq/

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/customer...nd-literature/

Bring the bearings to your local bearing supplier to get them matched.
Be sure to mention that you will run them at 40,000 RPM.

I guess Dremel sells the armature and bearings as an assembly because pressing them in
place is done easier at the factory. 26 bucks for the assembly or thirty for a new tool
and accessories on eBay. Hmmmm.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message

And where can I get the bearings?

Good question. Last time I tried getting bearings, the local supply house
couldn't match them up- the sizes skip in the bearing catalog. Theyu must be
made-to-order. Dremel won't sell just the bearings- I had a rather lengthy
correspondence with some high mucky-muck at Dremel about that. They were
nice enough to send me a coupon for my next purchase.

-Carl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I shimmed them with some Scotch tape. No vibration at high speed
now. Thanks.

Not one for the Dremel Andy Hall UK diy 17 December 7th 07 05:44 PM
Kaydon Bearings Ulta slim bearings - cost is prohibitive -Alternative supplier?? Mike Johns Metalworking 5 October 26th 07 05:18 PM
Dremel CNC? Swingman Woodworking 4 July 8th 06 05:26 PM
DIY Dremel Harry Bloomfield UK diy 0 February 27th 06 06:42 PM
Replace bearings in Hotpoint WM64 washing machine BigWallop UK diy 23 May 27th 04 04:30 PM