Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Massive cooker cables - how to terminate

This is more theoretical at the moment.

When the kitchen is tiled, I'll be fitting a 90cm wide cooker (induction).

Looking at some idly in the shop, I noticed a Smeg (probably not a brand
we'd get) - or more particularly, I noticed the cable hangling out the back.

It must have been getting on for 15-20mm diameter!

The conductors looked like 6mm2, maybe 10mm2 - but it was a rubber cable
(H07 type possibly) and having checked some tables, 6mm2 would indeed be
about 15mm OD, and 10mm2 20mm OD.

How on earth do you terminate a 15-20mm cable? That would be way outside
the capacity of a standard cooker connection plate surely???
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 30 December 2017 16:32:37 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
This is more theoretical at the moment.

When the kitchen is tiled, I'll be fitting a 90cm wide cooker (induction).

Looking at some idly in the shop, I noticed a Smeg (probably not a brand
we'd get) - or more particularly, I noticed the cable hangling out the back.

It must have been getting on for 15-20mm diameter!

The conductors looked like 6mm2, maybe 10mm2 - but it was a rubber cable
(H07 type possibly) and having checked some tables, 6mm2 would indeed be
about 15mm OD, and 10mm2 20mm OD.

How on earth do you terminate a 15-20mm cable? That would be way outside
the capacity of a standard cooker connection plate surely???

Nah, fits quite easy.
You might need pliers to bend the conductors if the space is tight.
And need to be carefull cutting to the right length.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts writes:
This is more theoretical at the moment.

When the kitchen is tiled, I'll be fitting a 90cm wide cooker (induction).

Looking at some idly in the shop, I noticed a Smeg (probably not a brand
we'd get) - or more particularly, I noticed the cable hangling out the back.

I've had to repair 3 Smeg ovens a number of times over past 10 years.
Their internal cable harness and swiches burn out - a thoroughly
unsuitable design for longevity of high current wiring. I would never
buy a Smeg appliance which used electricity for heating. A Smeg gas
hob with just electronic ignition has been OK for years - only had to
repair the ignition circuit after water poured into the cooker after
a carpender put a screw through a heating pipe, but that one wasn't
Smeg's fault.

It must have been getting on for 15-20mm diameter!

The conductors looked like 6mm2, maybe 10mm2 - but it was a rubber cable
(H07 type possibly) and having checked some tables, 6mm2 would indeed be
about 15mm OD, and 10mm2 20mm OD.

How on earth do you terminate a 15-20mm cable? That would be way outside
the capacity of a standard cooker connection plate surely???

A good quality cooker cable outlet should handle it.

I fitted a Hotpoint induction hob recently, which had a similarly
fat cable. However, it was about 6 conductors IIRC, for connecting
to several different types of supply and balancing the load across
3-phases, split-phase, or for just using single-phase. The multiple
conductors came crimped together for single-phase - you needed to
cut the crimps off and redistribute the conductors for other schemes.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/12/17 21:32, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts writes:
This is more theoretical at the moment.

When the kitchen is tiled, I'll be fitting a 90cm wide cooker (induction).

Looking at some idly in the shop, I noticed a Smeg (probably not a brand
we'd get) - or more particularly, I noticed the cable hangling out the back.

I've had to repair 3 Smeg ovens a number of times over past 10 years.
Their internal cable harness and swiches burn out - a thoroughly
unsuitable design for longevity of high current wiring. I would never
buy a Smeg appliance which used electricity for heating. A Smeg gas
hob with just electronic ignition has been OK for years - only had to
repair the ignition circuit after water poured into the cooker after
a carpender put a screw through a heating pipe, but that one wasn't
Smeg's fault.

Indeed - I wasn't planning on getting Smeg - and you've just given me a
valid reason to avoid

It must have been getting on for 15-20mm diameter!

The conductors looked like 6mm2, maybe 10mm2 - but it was a rubber cable
(H07 type possibly) and having checked some tables, 6mm2 would indeed be
about 15mm OD, and 10mm2 20mm OD.

How on earth do you terminate a 15-20mm cable? That would be way outside
the capacity of a standard cooker connection plate surely???

A good quality cooker cable outlet should handle it.

I fitted a Hotpoint induction hob recently, which had a similarly
fat cable. However, it was about 6 conductors IIRC, for connecting
to several different types of supply and balancing the load across
3-phases, split-phase, or for just using single-phase. The multiple
conductors came crimped together for single-phase - you needed to
cut the crimps off and redistribute the conductors for other schemes.

I've seen that multiple phase arrangement, but in the cooker side
junction box (where you supply your own cable). I was just curious at
the massive cable lying around the back of the Smeg in Currys - looked
like something intended for a Vax 8600!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 30 December 2017 16:32:37 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
The conductors looked like 6mm2, maybe 10mm2

cooker connector plates will work up to 16mm conductor size, at least the one I bodged did.

Why someone rewired my cooker in 16mm cable I don't know. The meter tails were only about 6mm!

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 30 December 2017 23:39:01 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
Why someone rewired my cooker in 16mm cable I don't know. The
meter tails were only about 6mm!

Probably someone like Phil's BCO who did not understand how to apply
diversity to a cooker load calculation!

It was probably a council electrician.

Even so, 4 rings and an oven can't be much more than 6 kW without diversity.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts writes:
This is more theoretical at the moment.

When the kitchen is tiled, I'll be fitting a 90cm wide cooker (induction).

Looking at some idly in the shop, I noticed a Smeg (probably not a brand
we'd get) - or more particularly, I noticed the cable hangling out the back.

I've had to repair 3 Smeg ovens a number of times over past 10 years.
Their internal cable harness and swiches burn out - a thoroughly
unsuitable design for longevity of high current wiring. I would never
buy a Smeg appliance which used electricity for heating.

When we moved in 5 years ago there was a Smeg washing machine and
dishwasher here, which were already 3 years old. We haven't had any
problem with either of them. The washing machine even survived me
ripping the power cable out of the back of it (electricity was off,
fortunately) a couple of years ago!

--

Jeff