Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Happy Christmas

and may your wires not get crossed, or your plumbing leak!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 25/12/2017 02:27, John Rumm wrote:

and may your wires not get crossed, or your plumbing leak!

Happy Christmas to all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 25/12/2017 09:27, GB wrote:
On 25/12/2017 02:27, John Rumm wrote:

and may your wires not get crossed, or your plumbing leak!

Happy Christmas to all.

Even the annoying posters!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/12/17 02:27, John Rumm wrote:

and may your wires not get crossed, or your plumbing leak!

Merry Christmas everyone!

May your drillings into plasterboard walls go into studs ...

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/12/17 02:27, John Rumm wrote:

and may your wires not get crossed, or your plumbing leak!

Merry Xmas everyone

Off to the pub for lunch this year, in an hour - (yay no cooking).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Dec 2017 11:19:47 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

On 25/12/17 02:27, John Rumm wrote:

and may your wires not get crossed, or your plumbing leak!

Merry Xmas everyone

Off to the pub for lunch this year, in an hour - (yay no cooking).

Our tame chef did all the prep last night and things are well in hand.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/12/2017 02:27, John Rumm wrote:

and may your wires not get crossed, or your plumbing leak!

Anyone needed the emergency drain rods yet ?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/12/2017 16:41, Andrew wrote:
On 25/12/2017 02:27, John Rumm wrote:

and may your wires not get crossed, or your plumbing leak!

Anyone needed the emergency drain rods yet ?.

Not this year... yet!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/12/2017 02:27, John Rumm wrote:

and may your wires not get crossed, or your plumbing leak!

Just the minor kitchen flood this year :-)

Happy xmas everyone, and thanks for your advice over the year.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/12/2017 11:19, Tim Watts wrote:
On 25/12/17 02:27, John Rumm wrote:

and may your wires not get crossed, or your plumbing leak!

Merry Xmas everyone

Off to the pub for lunch this year, in an hour - (yay no cooking).

I was given an entire family xmas food consignment due to a change in
their plans. I don't eat much meat so I was a bit reluctant, but hey,
couldn't bear to see it go to waste. Chucked the 6kg turkey in the oven,
rounded up a few mates after a lunchtime drink, and it went amazingly
well. So far :-)

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

may your wires not get crossed

Mum had asked me to "bring stuff" to fix their landing light, a BC22
incandescent had exploded violently and prevented the remnants of the
bulb from being released.

While standing on a stool at the top of the stairs, trying to release
the bulb, Dad realised he wasn't steady enough on his feet to be doing that.

It was a metal fixture with screws torn from the plasterboard, the earth
wire ripped off, there were multiple nicks in the single insulated wires
to the three lampholders where it passed through the metalwork and they
looked worse the wear for overheating and going brittle, one of the
spring loaded pins had welded itself in place.

Quite scary.

So I scavenged some double-insulated twin flex and a piece of earth wire
from old appliances in the garage, completely rewired it and fixed it
back to the ceiling with expanding plasterboard fixings ...

They've only just been persuaded to fit 8 LEDs and a v-pro dimmer in the
lounge and dining room, where they had been finding it more and more
inconvenient to keep replacing failed BC22 halogens. So now getting
them to fit LEDs everywhere so no more precarious balancing at the top
of the stairs by an octogenarian who's had an operation on one of his
knees, and waiting for operations to fuse all his toes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 27 December 2017 20:50:55 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

[...]

fittings out of reach over stairs are a fundamentally bad design, even when not using incandescents.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 27 December 2017 23:10:11 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:

fittings out of reach over stairs are a fundamentally bad design,
even when not using incandescents.

They have a decent 2-high pair of steps, with a handrail, and the light
is above a landing rather the stairs, no problem for me, but my feet
don't give me much grief ...

Really any fitting that oldsters can't change bulbs in is fundamentally dumb to retain in old age.

NT