Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Indoor security, alarm or cameras?

My mate put an alarm in for us at work (Veritas R8),i've another of
these and had similar in the past with no bother but there's plainly
something wrong with this one, frequent false alarms on varying zones,
oddly almost always at 3am, i'm not ****ing about diagnosing, it's
coming out in the new year.

I don't want something that wails, but something that alerts us (current
is connected to a gsm dialler).

Wondering what to replace it with, I fancy something higher tech and
intuitive with an Android app maybe.

Or maybe something camera based? With email alerts on motion detection.

Any recommendations..?

And A happy Xmas and New Year to all!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/12/2017 16:23, R D S wrote:
My mate put an alarm in for us at work (Veritas R8),i've another of
these and had similar in the past with no bother but there's plainly
something wrong with this one, frequent false alarms on varying zones,
oddly almost always at 3am, i'm not ****ing about diagnosing, it's
coming out in the new year.

I don't want something that wails, but something that alerts us (current
is connected to a gsm dialler).

Wondering what to replace it with, I fancy something higher tech and
intuitive with an Android app maybe.

Or maybe something camera based? With email alerts on motion detection.

Any recommendations..?

And A happy Xmas and New Year to all!

I'm tempted by the Honeywell evohome security system but haven't found
anyone who's used it yet
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If you go and look on the Ultimate Handyman Forums there is a sub-forum there populated be people who know all about alarms - you should be able to get some good advice there from people who know all about the subject
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/12/2017 19:38, Murmansk wrote:
If you go and look on the Ultimate Handyman Forums there is a sub-forum there populated be people who know all about alarms - you should be able to get some good advice there from people who know all about the subject

Thanks. I hadn't heard of the UHF forums but I've asked on the
"electrical" forum (I couldn't find one dedicated to alarms, only alarm
manuals).

Whilst browsing I discovered Alarm Mines - a brilliant idea for wild
camping :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 24 Dec 2017 16:23:09 +0000
R D S wrote:

My mate put an alarm in for us at work (Veritas R8),i've another of
these and had similar in the past with no bother but there's plainly
something wrong with this one, frequent false alarms on varying
zones, oddly almost always at 3am, i'm not ****ing about diagnosing,
it's coming out in the new year.

I don't want something that wails, but something that alerts us
(current is connected to a gsm dialler).

Wondering what to replace it with, I fancy something higher tech and
intuitive with an Android app maybe.

Or maybe something camera based? With email alerts on motion
detection.

Any recommendations..?

I have an old IP camera that offers motion sensing with email
notification, and a web server for live viewing. I'm sure there will
be many similar devices, newer and cheaper, that could be used for your
purpose, as long as the site has Internet access.