Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Flame failure devices

Quite a while ago I remember reading here that there were two types of flame
failure devices generally used on gas cookers. Apparently one kind would not
let you light the gas with a match when there is no electricity. I need to
buy a new cooker but many online descriptions don't even mention flame
failure devices. How do I tell which kind is useable in a power cut? can
anyone advise if I need to be looking at a particular manufacturer?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tahiri was thinking very hard :
Quite a while ago I remember reading here that there were two types of flame
failure devices generally used on gas cookers. Apparently one kind would not
let you light the gas with a match when there is no electricity. I need to
buy a new cooker but many online descriptions don't even mention flame
failure devices. How do I tell which kind is useable in a power cut? can
anyone advise if I need to be looking at a particular manufacturer?

All of, twin oven, hob, plus those in the caravan - use constant spark
when the button is pressed to ignite. Then then use a tiny thermocouple
to sense that the have lit, to maintain the gas on. All can be lit with
a match if necessary.

Our gas heating boiler and the caravan fridge on gas, plus water heater
when on gas, again use electric spark ignition, but the flame is sensed
not by thermocouple, but by a voltage generated by an electrode in the
flame.

Doesn't quite answer your question though, but others might be able to
add to the picture.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Tahiri" writes:
Quite a while ago I remember reading here that there were two types of flame
failure devices generally used on gas cookers. Apparently one kind would not
let you light the gas with a match when there is no electricity. I need to
buy a new cooker but many online descriptions don't even mention flame
failure devices. How do I tell which kind is useable in a power cut? can
anyone advise if I need to be looking at a particular manufacturer?

All that I've seen use a thermocouple to keep the gas valve open.
This doesn't need an electricity supply - the thermocouple
generates the electricity needed from the flame heat.

A method that's used in boilers with non-permanent pilot lights
is that an electrode in a flame acts as a rectifier, and this is
monitored. Often it's also used as the ignition electrode. Never
seen this on cookers, and it wouldn't work without an electicity
supply.

--
Andrew Gabriel