Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Flame failure devices

In article ,
"Tahiri" writes:
Quite a while ago I remember reading here that there were two types of flame
failure devices generally used on gas cookers. Apparently one kind would not
let you light the gas with a match when there is no electricity. I need to
buy a new cooker but many online descriptions don't even mention flame
failure devices. How do I tell which kind is useable in a power cut? can
anyone advise if I need to be looking at a particular manufacturer?

All that I've seen use a thermocouple to keep the gas valve open.
This doesn't need an electricity supply - the thermocouple
generates the electricity needed from the flame heat.

A method that's used in boilers with non-permanent pilot lights
is that an electrode in a flame acts as a rectifier, and this is
monitored. Often it's also used as the ignition electrode. Never
seen this on cookers, and it wouldn't work without an electicity
supply.

--
Andrew Gabriel