Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Help, central heating packed in.

Its my neighbours so trying to help.
Vokera compact 25A,sealed system I think.

Still gets hot water if turned to hot water only and rads off.
Fault is A01 ignition failure,flame not sensed, internal fault.

When the heating is turned on it makes lot of gurgling noises from the
boiler (pump) which sounds like trying to pump but water not circulating
then boiler cuts out.

I would suspect a frozen pipe although the heating was working until 2
pm today and then turned on around 7pm when it failed.Condensate pipe
goes to the waste stack (internal) so not that.

Any thought/ideas short of trying to get an engineer out which is likely
impossible with this cold weather and emergencies.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

Fault is A01 ignition failure,flame not sensed

Seems odd that it will light for water, but not light for heating.

What happens if you start it by drawing some water, then turn heating on
while it's already lit?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 10/12/2017 21:18, Andy Burns wrote:
ss wrote:

Fault is A01 ignition failure,flame not sensed

Seems odd that it will light for water, but not light for heating.

What happens if you start it by drawing some water, then turn heating on
while it's already lit?

Let me think......I turned it to hot water only and then heating + hot
water with water running, Then I am sure the fault code appeared, cant
be sure but I think the hot water continued. I could double check on
that tomorrow.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2017 21:12, ss wrote:
Its my neighbours so trying to help.
Vokera compact 25A,sealed system I think.

Still gets hot water if turned to hot water only and rads off.
Fault is A01 ignition failure,flame not sensed, internal fault.

Do you actually hear it light the burner?

(and hear it spin up the fan, spark etc)?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 10/12/2017 21:58, John Rumm wrote:
On 10/12/2017 21:12, ss wrote:
Its my neighbours so trying to help.
Vokera compact 25A,sealed system I think.

Still gets hot water if turned to hot water only and rads off.
Fault is A01 ignition failure,flame not sensed, internal fault.

Do you actually hear it light the burner?

(and hear it spin up the fan, spark etc)?

The problem I have is with it being a neighbour I dont want to start
stripping it down, mine would be in bits by now :-)

The boiler calls for firing and the temp gauge rises by a few degrees
and then appears to cut out, the pump still appears to continue running
as it then starts making lots of gurgling noises, I am hazarding a guess
that the pump is pumping but as water is not flowing due to a blockage
(frozen) a safety circuit is cutting the gas off and creating an
ignition failure.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2017 21:12, ss wrote:
Its my neighbours so trying to help.
Vokera compact 25A,sealed system I think.

Still gets hot water if turned to hot water only and rads off.
Fault is A01 ignition failure,flame not sensed, internal fault.

When the heating is turned on it makes lot of gurgling noises from the
boiler (pump) which sounds like trying to pump but water not circulating
then boiler cuts out.

I would suspect a frozen pipe although the heating was working until 2
pm today and then turned on around 7pm when it failed.Condensate pipe
goes to the waste stack (internal) so not that.

Any thought/ideas short of trying to get an engineer out which is likely
impossible with this cold weather and emergencies.

3 port valve sticking? try exercising manually

Malcolm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Dec 2017 21:12:45 +0000, ss wrote:

Vokera compact 25A,sealed system I think.

When the heating is turned on it makes lot of gurgling noises from the
boiler (pump)

What is the system pressure? When was the pump last bled? Do (did...)
all the radiators get properly hot, right to the top?

which sounds like trying to pump but water not circulating
then boiler cuts out.

I'd expect the boiler to cut out with no or limited circulation. But
not with "A01 ignition failure,flame not sensed, internal fault." I'd
expect boiler overheat or no flow. And as the thing works for HW why
does the ignition/flame sense work for that but not CH?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 10/12/2017 23:09, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 10 Dec 2017 21:12:45 +0000, ss wrote:

Vokera compact 25A,sealed system I think.

When the heating is turned on it makes lot of gurgling noises from the
boiler (pump)

What is the system pressure? When was the pump last bled? Do (did...)
all the radiators get properly hot, right to the top?

which sounds like trying to pump but water not circulating
then boiler cuts out.

I'd expect the boiler to cut out with no or limited circulation. But
not with "A01 ignition failure,flame not sensed, internal fault." I'd
expect boiler overheat or no flow. And as the thing works for HW why
does the ignition/flame sense work for that but not CH?

System pressure about 1.25, I doubt if pump has been bled.
Rads I will check with neighbour tomorrow and bleed the rads just in case.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes but unless the pipes go outside its very hard to freeze heating pipes!
Brian

That assume the boiler is running.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 10/12/2017 23:22, ss wrote:
On 10/12/2017 23:09, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 10 Dec 2017 21:12:45 +0000, ss wrote:

Vokera compact 25A,sealed system I think.

When the heating is turned on it makes lot of gurgling noises from the
boiler (pump)

What is the system pressure? When was the pump last bled? Do (did...)
all the radiators get properly hot, right to the top?

which sounds like trying to pump but water not circulating
then boiler cuts out.

I'd expect the boiler to cut out with no or limited circulation. But
not with "A01 ignition failure,flame not sensed, internal fault." I'd
expect boiler overheat or no flow. And as the thing works for HW why
does the ignition/flame sense work for that but not CH?

System pressure about 1.25, I doubt if pump has been bled.
Rads I will check with neighbour tomorrow and bleed the rads just in case.

Looks like they have a gas plumber this morning so I will back off now.
Googling stated `gurgling` noises is a symptom of frozen condensate pipe
so I was intending to disconnect the condensate pipe temporarily to see
if that cured it.
No doubt I will find out later what the cause was.
Thanks all for the suggestions.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Dec 2017 08:57:53 +0000, ss wrote:

On 10/12/2017 23:22, ss wrote:
[...]

Or if it (the boiler) has an internal syphon trap on the condensate
outlet that has become blocked with gunge. Had that on my Worcester
Bosch boiler, made lots of hissing/splitting/gurgling noises before
cutting out - on the coldest day of last year, of course!!!

I didn't know about that syphon, so had to call a man in (and wait).
Having watched him I can now do it myself, simple.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2017 23:22, ss wrote:
[...]

I was going to say condensate system too, especially this weather
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 11/12/2017 17:25, newshound wrote:
I was going to say condensate system too, especially this weather

That was my original thought but it looked like it was fed into the
internal stack so initially dismissed it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 11/12/2017 20:53, ss wrote:
On 11/12/2017 17:25, newshound wrote:
I was going to say condensate system too, especially this weather

That was my original thought but it looked like it was fed into the
internal stack so initially dismissed it.

Neighbour quote: the problem was from the engineer the boiler hasnt been
serviced and there was a blockage.
Reading between the lines it was condensate filter gunge and probably
ripped them off for a service. Happy days.

OT Boston bombs packed in pressure cookers. harry Home Repair 8 April 18th 13 11:21 AM
my bosch 24V drill has packed up any refcommendations Ian & Hilda Dedic UK diy 4 June 28th 08 12:47 AM
Fridge/freezer packed up apart from the inside light. john smile UK diy 2 June 1st 07 03:42 PM
Mira shower has packed in MikeR UK diy 3 December 4th 06 09:42 PM
books packed rosie read n' post Home Repair 3 August 23rd 05 10:01 PM