Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Need to strengthen water pipe attachment?

Tap on sink is held on with a plastic knurled nut, copper pipe is then
soldered to tap connection.
The plastic nut cracked and fell off (and got lost) so tap is loose
fitting on the sink. Any way I can easily secure this fitting for a few
months as I intend to refurbish the bathroom spring next year.
I am not confident with plumbing so looking for a non plumbing short
term fix.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

I am not confident with plumbing so looking for a non plumbing short
term fix.

sugru?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 10 December 2017 17:40:01 UTC, ss wrote:
Tap on sink is held on with a plastic knurled nut, copper pipe is then
soldered to tap connection.
The plastic nut cracked and fell off (and got lost) so tap is loose
fitting on the sink. Any way I can easily secure this fitting for a few
months as I intend to refurbish the bathroom spring next year.
I am not confident with plumbing so looking for a non plumbing short
term fix.

I pity a man with plastic nuts, they're a bit useless. Silicone is the usual bodge.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2017 17:39, ss wrote:
Tap on sink is held on with a plastic knurled nut, copper pipe is then
soldered to tap connection.
The plastic nut cracked and fell off (and got lost) so tap is loose
fitting on the sink. Any way I can easily secure this fitting for a few
months as I intend to refurbish the bathroom spring next year.
I am not confident with plumbing so looking for a non plumbing short
term fix.

Epoxy putty?

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plu...+Repair/p59360

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

ss Wrote in message:
Tap on sink is held on with a plastic knurled nut, copper pipe is then
soldered to tap connection.
The plastic nut cracked and fell off (and got lost) so tap is loose
fitting on the sink. Any way I can easily secure this fitting for a few
months as I intend to refurbish the bathroom spring next year.
I am not confident with plumbing so looking for a non plumbing short
term fix.

Car body filler.

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to ss, Iggy wrote:
Just a Hose Clip (
http://www.diy.com/departments/hose-.../945649_BQ.prd )
of larger size tightened on will secure it quite permanently or definitely
until you get a replacement metal nut on there.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...t-1255737-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to tabbypurr, Iggy wrote:
Please explain.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...t-1255737-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Iggy m wrote in
:

replying to tabbypurr, Iggy wrote:
Please explain.

If turning the tap on and off is trying to twist the pipe then you may end
up breaking the pipe joint.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 11/12/2017 17:54, DerbyBorn wrote:
If turning the tap on and off is trying to twist the pipe then you may end
up breaking the pipe joint.

Thats the part I am trying to temporarily stiffen, to stop any twist.
Its ok when I use it as I can hold the tap but when friends stop over I
cant trust the beggars.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/12/2017 20:55, ss wrote:
On 11/12/2017 17:54, DerbyBorn wrote:
If turning the tap on and off is trying to twist the pipe then you may
end
up breaking the pipe joint.

Thats the part I am trying to temporarily stiffen, to stop any twist.
Its ok when I use it as I can hold the tap but when friends stop over I
cant trust the beggars.

any chance of a picture?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to DerbyBorn, Iggy wrote:
I figured that might be 1 of his, possibly negative, explanations. But, I've
never had to wrestle a tap like that and the complaint is just that its
flopping around, not that its affecting operation. A soldered joint is quite
strong and resilient. Maybe, tabby was purring and thought it was a great fix
that he should of brained.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...t-1255737-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 11 December 2017 22:14:05 UTC, Iggy wrote:
replying to DerbyBorn, Iggy wrote:
I figured that might be 1 of his, possibly negative, explanations. But, I've
never had to wrestle a tap like that and the complaint is just that its
flopping around, not that its affecting operation. A soldered joint is quite
strong and resilient. Maybe, tabby was purring and thought it was a great fix
that he should of brained.

what are you on about?

How to strengthen a press brake die Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 12 December 16th 09 05:39 PM
How much to strengthen loft floor, but not full conversion? Steve UK diy 5 May 21st 07 03:12 AM
water cooler, water coolers, water dispenser, water dispensers,bottleless water cooler,bottleless water coolers,bottleless water dispenser,bottleless water dispensers water coolers UK diy 3 January 5th 06 08:23 PM
strengthen a header? TP Home Repair 10 August 16th 05 10:46 PM
Logan taper attachment attachment John Hall Metalworking 6 November 2nd 03 06:42 PM