Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Buzzing crackling transformer

Hi all

I bought a couple of 6.2a versions these from a UK supplier to wire in some LED lights

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Driver-...68?_mwBanner=1

When the lights are on, the transformers buzz/ crackle but then I disconnect the lights they are silent (power to transform still on).

Is this normal or have I got a couple of dodgy transformers that need replacing?

Thanks

Lee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Hi all

I bought a couple of 6.2a versions these from a UK supplier to wire in some LED lights

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Driver-...68?_mwBanner=1

When the lights are on, the transformers buzz/ crackle but then I disconnect the lights they are silent (power to transform still on).

Is this normal or have I got a couple of dodgy transformers that need replacing?

Thanks

Lee

The item labelling looks dubious. They quote 18 watts in and 18 watts
out so 100% efficient and then show a warning that it can get very hot. WTF.

They should not make a noise unless perhaps are being overloaded and are
protecting themselves
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 10 December 2017 15:19:16 UTC, wrote:
Hi all

I bought a couple of 6.2a versions these from a UK supplier to wire in some LED lights

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Driver-...68?_mwBanner=1

When the lights are on, the transformers buzz/ crackle but then I disconnect the lights they are silent (power to transform still on).

Is this normal or have I got a couple of dodgy transformers that need replacing?

Thanks

Lee

crackling from electrics means sparking. Remove from service immediately.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Sunday, 10 December 2017 15:19:16 UTC, wrote:
Hi all

I bought a couple of 6.2a versions these from a UK supplier to wire in some LED lights

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Driver-...68?_mwBanner=1

When the lights are on, the transformers buzz/ crackle but then I disconnect the lights they are silent (power to transform still on).

Is this normal or have I got a couple of dodgy transformers that need replacing?

Thanks

Lee

crackling from electrics means sparking. Remove from service immediately.

NT

Agreed but if a supersonic switchmode PSU is self protecting under
overload conditions it usually ticks at a few Hz from the transformer
which could be described by the OP as a crackling sound?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 10 December 2017 22:26:09 UTC, Bob Minchin wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:
On Sunday, 10 December 2017 15:19:16 UTC, wrote:
Hi all

I bought a couple of 6.2a versions these from a UK supplier to wire in some LED lights

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Driver-...68?_mwBanner=1

When the lights are on, the transformers buzz/ crackle but then I disconnect the lights they are silent (power to transform still on).

Is this normal or have I got a couple of dodgy transformers that need replacing?

Thanks

Lee

crackling from electrics means sparking. Remove from service immediately.

Agreed but if a supersonic switchmode PSU is self protecting under
overload conditions it usually ticks at a few Hz from the transformer
which could be described by the OP as a crackling sound?

maybe so. Do you want to gamble, bearing in mind the dubiousness of the unit at the best of times? Are you feeling lucky?

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Hi all

I bought a couple of 6.2a versions these from a UK supplier to wire in
some LED lights

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Driver-...68?_mwBanner=1

When the lights are on, the transformers buzz/ crackle but then I
disconnect the lights they are silent (power to transform still on).

Is this normal

Nope, my Hues dont.

or have I got a couple of dodgy transformers that need replacing?

Yep, ****ed by design.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Or they are just made very poorly and are rattling due to being quite hot
and the glue inside has melted or moved due to expansion and contraction.
Though probably not actually dangerous, I'd think replacing them with
better quality items for peace of mind and less annoyance factor should be a
priority. If they are under warranty, then in my view making excessive
noise when used for their intended purport is a good enough reason to reject
them, whatever else you might think.
I once had this with the PSU supplied with something and after some
negotiation got it replaced. It turned out it was actually intended for a
different market but was OK in the UK except that it got too hot to touch in
use.
Crap.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
news
wrote:
Hi all

I bought a couple of 6.2a versions these from a UK supplier to wire in
some LED lights

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Driver-...68?_mwBanner=1

When the lights are on, the transformers buzz/ crackle but then I
disconnect the lights they are silent (power to transform still on).

Is this normal or have I got a couple of dodgy transformers that need
replacing?

Thanks

Lee

The item labelling looks dubious. They quote 18 watts in and 18 watts out
so 100% efficient and then show a warning that it can get very hot. WTF.

They should not make a noise unless perhaps are being overloaded and are
protecting themselves

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

Those CE markings look fake to me, the letter look too close together and a bit to elongated.
But atb least being ebay you can send themn back if they are working.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

they're probably the ones that mean: Chinese Export/

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/12/2017 12:54, charles wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Yes.

The Red and Black tails in the terminals marked Brown and Blue are not a
good sign either.

Stevew