Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default light switch pull cord

It isn't exactly major works but this is puzzling me.

The bathroom light switch pull cord - bog standard, looks like this
https://dnwgit7zg7mqr.cloudfront.net.../800/44781.jpg

That is too utilitarian for W towers and Mrs W has asked that it should
look more like this
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/81/cb/c7/8...n-bathroom.jpg

I have the hand wrought iron knobby thing now and have ordered 2m of 6mm
dia natural jute cord. But how do I attach it all?

The white plastic link near the top of the cord I took to be a sort of
break point so that if I fall over and grab the cord after I have had a
couple I won't pull the ceiling down. Is that so? I don't want to have
to try it out by swinging on it.

Regardess of the answer to that I can't thread 6mm cord into the white
ceiling fitting, or into the little plastic thing so I will have to
connect the jute to the 1mm nylon. Despite getting a badge for knots in
the wolf cubs I don't know a good tidy way of connecting the different
cords. A sheet bend or double sheet bend is going to be untidy with
frayed ends sticking out. Do I have to get some whipping twine and
really make a meal of it?

TW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/17 19:57, TimW wrote:
It isn't exactly major works but this is puzzling me.

The bathroom light switch pull cord - bog standard, looks like this
https://dnwgit7zg7mqr.cloudfront.net.../800/44781.jpg

That is too utilitarian for W towers and Mrs W has asked that it should
look more like this
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/81/cb/c7/8...n-bathroom.jpg

"Alex, switch the bathroom light on...."

I have the hand wrought iron knobby thing now and have ordered 2m of 6mm
dia natural jute cord. But how do I attach it all?

The white plastic link near the top of the cord I took to be a sort of
break point so that if I fall over and grab the cord after I have had a
couple I won't pull the ceiling down. Is that so? I don't want to have
to try it out by swinging on it.

I guess this bit is made so that the cord can easily be replaced or
shortened.

Regardess of the answer to that I can't thread 6mm cord into the white
ceiling fitting, or into the little plastic thing so I will have to
connect the jute to the 1mm nylon. Despite getting a badge for knots in
the wolf cubs I don't know a good tidy way of connecting the different
cords. A sheet bend or double sheet bend is going to be untidy with
frayed ends sticking out. Do I have to get some whipping twine and
really make a meal of it?

Cover the knot junction with a block of wood like top left of your
photo? Or something more artistic?

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 8 Dec 2017 19:57:30 +0000, TimW wrote:

The white plastic link near the top of the cord I took to be a sort of
break point so that if I fall over and grab the cord after I have had a
couple I won't pull the ceiling down. Is that so? I don't want to have
to try it out by swinging on it.

Try unscrewing. The idea is to make replacing the cord easy without
taking the ceiling fixture apart. On ours the knot necessary to hold
the new cord in place is hidden in the link piece.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2017 19:57, TimW wrote:
[...]

Find or make a rectangular(ish) piece of metal or plastic with two holes
in it. Pass each of the cords through a hole and make a knot so it
doesn't go through. Obviously arrange this near the ceiling/switch.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/17 19:57, TimW wrote:
[...]

Something like https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3/300745017953 ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2017 19:57, TimW wrote:
It isn't exactly major works but this is puzzling me.

The bathroom light switch pull cord - bog standard, looks like this
https://dnwgit7zg7mqr.cloudfront.net.../800/44781.jpg

That is too utilitarian for W towers and Mrs W has asked that it should
look more like this
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/81/cb/c7/8...n-bathroom.jpg

I have the hand wrought iron knobby thing now and have ordered 2m of 6mm
dia natural jute cord. But how do I attach it all?

The white plastic link near the top of the cord I took to be a sort of
break point so that if I fall over and grab the cord after I have had a
couple I won't pull the ceiling down. Is that so? I don't want to have
to try it out by swinging on it.

They vary, but the basic principle is to make a place for joining to
cord to the bit on the switch so it can be changed easily. Some are
threaded, many are just a plastic "lump" with a recess to hide the knots
at the ends of the strings in.

Regardess of the answer to that I can't thread 6mm cord into the white
ceiling fitting, or into the little plastic thing so I will have to
connect the jute to the 1mm nylon. Despite getting a badge for knots in
the wolf cubs I don't know a good tidy way of connecting the different
cords.

Either replace / craft a new joining bit, or drill out one end of the
existing one to take the thicker cord.

A sheet bend or double sheet bend is going to be untidy with
frayed ends sticking out. Do I have to get some whipping twine and
really make a meal of it?

That would also work.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 8 Dec 2017 19:57:30 +0000
TimW wrote:

The white plastic link near the top of the cord I took to be a sort
of break point so that if I fall over and grab the cord after I have
had a couple I won't pull the ceiling down. Is that so? I don't want
to have to try it out by swinging on it.

The upper and lower cords each have a knot at the end, to stop them
pulling through holes in the plastic part, so you can fit or remove the
lower cord without opening the switch. If you can't see the knots the
plastic bit will be two parts threaded together.

Regardess of the answer to that I can't thread 6mm cord into the
white ceiling fitting, or into the little plastic thing so I will
have to connect the jute to the 1mm nylon. Despite getting a badge
for knots in the wolf cubs I don't know a good tidy way of connecting
the different cords. A sheet bend or double sheet bend is going to be
untidy with frayed ends sticking out. Do I have to get some whipping
twine and really make a meal of it?

Leave a longish end, fray it and call it a feature? Dip the end in
some sort of glue to stop it fraying? Make a crimp from some metal
tubing, or a loop at the top by wrapping with some sort of wire?
Which ever way you do it, I'd suggest retaining the plastic link.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 8 December 2017 19:57:33 UTC, TimW wrote:
[...]

FWIW I agree with her that they don't look good.
6mm is far too big. You can join it any way you wish. The smallest option would be with epoxy.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ah Glasshopper, meditation of the pull chord brings many good things while
one contemplates on the loo.
Or in other words, who the heck checks out what bit of string is on a
switch when in the toilet?

I have seen pull switches without chords though with the fastening inside
the housing. Usually twice as expensive as the ones with cords of course.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"TimW" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian Caspersz" wrote in message
On 08/12/17 19:57, TimW wrote:
It isn't exactly major works but this is puzzling me.

The bathroom light switch pull cord - bog standard, looks like this
https://dnwgit7zg7mqr.cloudfront.net.../800/44781.jpg

That is too utilitarian for W towers and Mrs W has asked that it should
look more like this
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/81/cb/c7/8...n-bathroom.jpg

"Alex, switch the bathroom light on...."

Makes much more sense to have a decent programable
motion sensor like the Hue one that can be programmed
to keep the light on for as long as you decide is useful
so it doesnt turn off when it cant see you for a while
while in the shower etc and only comes on when its
dark enough, with that level programmable too.

[...]

All those things should have a decent hole in the end that the knot goes
into.

Or something more artistic?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

The plastic "blob"is a joint so the string can be replaced.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

You can't use anything too heavy or the spring in the switch won't be able to "retract" when let go.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

In article , says...

It isn't exactly major works but this is puzzling me.

The bathroom light switch pull cord - bog standard, looks like this
https://dnwgit7zg7mqr.cloudfront.net.../800/44781.jpg

That is too utilitarian for W towers and Mrs W has asked that it should
look more like this
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/81/cb/c7/8...n-bathroom.jpg

I have the hand wrought iron knobby thing now and have ordered 2m of 6mm
dia natural jute cord. But how do I attach it all?

Could you use a snap link from a fishing shop, possibly with a swivel
included. I use them for kite strings.