Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 1 cement 4 sharp sand to reinforce support for RSJ?

Today I found a steel RSJ sitting on only one brick.
Luckily this time it seems to be an engineering brick with portland cement.
I want to reinforce it, is
1 cement 4 sharp sand a good mix?
With a temporary board in front so it doesnt fall out.

photo at
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...e=3&permPage=1

george
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George Miles Wrote in message:
Today I found a steel RSJ sitting on only one brick.
Luckily this time it seems to be an engineering brick with portland cement.
I want to reinforce it, is
1 cement 4 sharp sand a good mix?
With a temporary board in front so it doesnt fall out.

photo at
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...e=3&permPage=1

george

I'd go with the answer noted on FB. Replace shoddy brick support
with padstone.

Phil

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/2017 20:12, George Miles wrote:
Today I found a steel RSJ sitting on only one brick.
Luckily this time it seems to be an engineering brick with portland cement.
I want to reinforce it, is
1 cement 4 sharp sand a good mix?
With a temporary board in front so it doesnt fall out.

photo at
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...e=3&permPage=1

george

Photo is not very clear, it looks to me more as though there are three
bits of paving slab between the RSJ and the outermost brick. Is that a
half brick, or is it a 9 inch wall?

I agree, the RSJ could perhaps be coupled a bit better to the "inner"
brick. I'd say quite a lot depends on how much structure the RSJ is
supporting, i.e. what's the likely load going down through the
supporting wall? I'm not a structural engineer (well not for buildings,
anyway) but someone here will know the codes.

That aside, your ratio sounds OK to me. Maybe even 1:3? But maybe
builders sand? Not too much water.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I thought builders sand was softer and not to be used here, but i'm not an expert.

It's a corner, the bricks seem quite hard and the mortar seems to be portland.

I dont want to jack it up and remove the stones, the floor underneath wouldnt take the weight!

I plan to just reinforce it with lots of cement/concrete of a hard mix.

Unlike another RSJ which is on the end of crumbly brick with lime cement!

george

On Tuesday, December 5, 2017 at 8:46:54 PM UTC, newshound wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/17 20:12, George Miles wrote:
Today I found a steel RSJ sitting on only one brick.
Luckily this time it seems to be an engineering brick with portland cement.
I want to reinforce it, is
1 cement 4 sharp sand a good mix?
With a temporary board in front so it doesnt fall out.

photo at
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...e=3&permPage=1

george

strongest is 2:1 sand:cement.

also pretty impervious to water

--
€œBut what a weak barrier is truth when it stands in the way of an
hypothesis!€

Mary Wollstonecraft

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George Miles" wrote in message
Today I found a steel RSJ sitting on only one brick.
Luckily this time it seems to be an engineering brick with portland
cement.
I want to reinforce it, is
1 cement 4 sharp sand a good mix?

one to three would be better .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/17 20:12, George Miles wrote:
Today I found a steel RSJ sitting on only one brick.
Luckily this time it seems to be an engineering brick with portland
cement.
I want to reinforce it, is
1 cement 4 sharp sand a good mix?
With a temporary board in front so it doesnt fall out.

photo at
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...e=3&permPage=1

george

strongest is 2:1 sand:cement.

also pretty impervious to water

I learnt 1:3 was the strongest.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
George Miles wrote:
please confirm if sharp sand is better than builders sand for this?

For strength, yes. Although I'm not sure what you intend doing. The
normal way to support an RSJ in a 9" brick wall is to remove about 6
bricks of the inner layer, shutter up, and cast a padstone in situ from
concrete. But a structural engineer is best used to calculate the actual
load hence size of padstone needed.

--
*WHY IS IT CALLED TOURIST SEASON IF WE CAN'T SHOOT AT THEM?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
George Miles wrote:
please confirm if sharp sand is better than builders sand for this?

For strength, yes. Although I'm not sure what you intend doing. The
normal way to support an RSJ in a 9" brick wall is to remove about 6
bricks of the inner layer, shutter up, and cast a padstone in situ from
concrete. But a structural engineer is best used to calculate the actual
load hence size of padstone needed.

It looks like a rotten timber lintel has been removed and replaced
by (a not very well protected) steel. hence the gap above, below
and around the end.

Is this a house or outbuilding ?. If the latter, with humidity levels
likely to be higher, and without the benefit of heating then I would
hack off all the plaster around that steel and give it couple of
coats of anti-rust paint before doing anything structural.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Andrew Wrote in message:
In article ,
George Miles wrote:
please confirm if sharp sand is better than builders sand for this?

For strength, yes. Although I'm not sure what you intend doing. The
normal way to support an RSJ in a 9" brick wall is to remove about 6
bricks of the inner layer, shutter up, and cast a padstone in situ from
concrete. But a structural engineer is best used to calculate the actual
load hence size of padstone needed.

It looks like a rotten timber lintel has been removed and replaced
by (a not very well protected) steel. hence the gap above, below
and around the end.

Is this a house or outbuilding ?. If the latter, with humidity levels
likely to be higher, and without the benefit of heating then I would
hack off all the plaster around that steel and give it couple of
coats of anti-rust paint before doing anything structural.

Strewth, something that massive will shurely outlive the OP
especially when "hidden" away behind pboard & maybe
insulation....
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think a double brick wall was removed to knock two rooms into one. Its holding up an upstairs room full of tools and above that a lot of roof.

Someone on facebook suggested:
"Get as much crap out from all around the end and dry pack it with 2 sharp sand to 1 cement. Put just enough water to dampen the mix ... little as possible to prevent shrinkage ram it right in bit by bit. Thatll sort it."

Which seems a good idea. I dont want to remove what's already there, but reinforce it with some mix of concrete....

There is another RSJ in the kitchen in a far worse state which I may jack up and rebuild.

[george]