Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Don't quite see how this'll work???

https://www.express.co.uk/finance/ci...-Royce-Siemens
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 29 November 2017 16:54:32 UTC, harry wrote:
https://www.express.co.uk/finance/ci...-Royce-Siemens

Well if drone can fly by battery power why can't planes eventually run on batteries.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 29 November 2017 16:54:32 UTC, harry wrote:
https://www.express.co.uk/finance/ci...-Royce-Siemens

Well if drone can fly by battery power why can't planes eventually run on
batteries.

If stupid, spineless May has her way we'll all be thin and light enough for
battery powered flight.
50 billion is half of what steptoe would borrow, ludicrous.
Dave, I told you way back down the road, Brexit will never happen.
Don't worry yourself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/2017 18:16, bm wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 29 November 2017 16:54:32 UTC, harry wrote:
https://www.express.co.uk/finance/ci...-Royce-Siemens

Well if drone can fly by battery power why can't planes eventually run on
batteries.

If stupid, spineless May has her way we'll all be thin and light enough for
battery powered flight.
50 billion is half of what steptoe would borrow, ludicrous.
Dave, I told you way back down the road, Brexit will never happen.
Don't worry yourself.

Its not May that is costing us 50 billion its people like you!
Just remember that when the suffering starts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message
eb.com...
On 29/11/2017 18:16, bm wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 29 November 2017 16:54:32 UTC, harry wrote:
https://www.express.co.uk/finance/ci...-Royce-Siemens

Well if drone can fly by battery power why can't planes eventually run
on
batteries.

If stupid, spineless May has her way we'll all be thin and light enough
for
battery powered flight.
50 billion is half of what steptoe would borrow, ludicrous.
Dave, I told you way back down the road, Brexit will never happen.
Don't worry yourself.

Its not May that is costing us 50 billion its people like you!
Just remember that when the suffering starts.

Have you actually heard of the schoolkid tripe coming from the EU?
You wanna continue to be governed by those arseholes?
At least (even without a backbone) our guvmint are OUR arseholes (some of
'em).
Did you have a look at FCO 30/1048 or did you convince yourself it was
********?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/2017 18:16, bm wrote:
[...]

Everything you say is ********.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
bm wrote:
Its not May that is costing us 50 billion its people like you!
Just remember that when the suffering starts.

Have you actually heard of the schoolkid tripe coming from the EU?
You wanna continue to be governed by those arseholes?
At least (even without a backbone) our guvmint are OUR arseholes (some of
'em).
Did you have a look at FCO 30/1048 or did you convince yourself it was
********?

Wonder what your real agenda is by wanting to bring the country down - as
would happen if we leave the EU without a trade agreement, and nothing to
replace it in force? Apart from the wild assumptions from the likes of you
that it will be easy to set up new trade agreements with other countries -
despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Seems to me just a hope of an old man to go back to when things were
better for him, remembered through distinctly rose tinted specs.

--
*Women who seek to be equal to men lack ambition.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/2017 18:16, bm wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 29 November 2017 16:54:32 UTC, harry wrote:
https://www.express.co.uk/finance/ci...-Royce-Siemens

Well if drone can fly by battery power why can't planes eventually run
on
batteries.

If stupid, spineless May has her way we'll all be thin and light enough
for
battery powered flight.
50 billion is half of what steptoe would borrow, ludicrous.
Dave, I told you way back down the road, Brexit will never happen.
Don't worry yourself.

Its not May that is costing us 50 billion

Corse it is. Davis should be telling the EU to go
and **** themselves and that Article 50 says nothing
about any exit fee and neither does the Lisbon treaty.

its people like you!

Just another of your bare faced remoaner lies.

Just remember that when the suffering starts.

It wont, you watch.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/17 17:02, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 29 November 2017 16:54:32 UTC, harry wrote:
https://www.express.co.uk/finance/ci...-Royce-Siemens

Well if drone can fly by battery power why can't planes eventually run on batteries.

They already can. Just not for very long

--
In todays liberal progressive conflict-free education system, everyone
gets full Marx.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 29 November 2017 18:48:26 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 29/11/17 17:02, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 29 November 2017 16:54:32 UTC, harry wrote:
https://www.express.co.uk/finance/ci...-Royce-Siemens

Well if drone can fly by battery power why can't planes eventually run on batteries.

They already can. Just not for very long

Solar Impulse 2, did OK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 29/11/17 17:02, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 29 November 2017 16:54:32 UTC, harry wrote:
https://www.express.co.uk/finance/ci...-Royce-Siemens

Well if drone can fly by battery power why can't planes eventually run
on batteries.

They already can. Just not for very long

Solar Impulse 2, did OK

Pity about the number of pax it can carry. Like none, zero, nada, ziltch.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 29/11/17 17:02, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 29 November 2017 16:54:32 UTC, harry wrote:
https://www.express.co.uk/finance/ci...-Royce-Siemens

Well if drone can fly by battery power why can't planes eventually run
on batteries.

They already can. Just not for very long

Solar Impulse 2, did OK

Pity about the number of pax it can carry. Like none, zero, nada, ziltch.

How many pax could the wright brothers plane carry ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2017 12:08, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 29 November 2017 18:48:26 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 29/11/17 17:02, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 29 November 2017 16:54:32 UTC, harry wrote:
https://www.express.co.uk/finance/ci...-Royce-Siemens

Well if drone can fly by battery power why can't planes eventually run on batteries.

They already can. Just not for very long

Solar Impulse 2, did OK

You do know why it flew in the direction it did?
You won't see a return journey from it.
Hot air balloons did it quicker with more passengers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 1 December 2017 09:20:05 UTC, dennis@home wrote:
On 30/11/2017 12:08, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 29 November 2017 18:48:26 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 29/11/17 17:02, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 29 November 2017 16:54:32 UTC, harry wrote:
https://www.express.co.uk/finance/ci...-Royce-Siemens

Well if drone can fly by battery power why can't planes eventually run on batteries.

They already can. Just not for very long

Solar Impulse 2, did OK

You do know why it flew in the direction it did?
You won't see a return journey from it.
Hot air balloons did it quicker with more passengers.

You do know why planes follow the routes they do don't you ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 29 November 2017 16:54:32 UTC, harry wrote:
https://www.express.co.uk/finance/ci...-Royce-Siemens

Well if drone can fly by battery power why can't planes eventually run on
batteries.

They tend to be a tad larger and fly rather further.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed has brought this to us :
They tend to be a tad larger and fly rather further.

...and much faster.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry explained :
https://www.express.co.uk/finance/ci...-Royce-Siemens

A long (very) extension lead?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have not read it but to my knowledge Airbus have had an electric light
aircraft flying for some years. it had a somewhat limited range though so
was only for research into battery tech.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"harry" wrote in message
https://www.express.co.uk/finance/ci...-Royce-Siemens

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/17 16:54, harry wrote:
https://www.express.co.uk/finance/ci...-Royce-Siemens

Well, as far as I can tell, the Outlander PHEV generates electricity and
uses it to power electric motors when the batteries are 'flat'. Yes, I
know, at first it seems inefficient but going by the consumption I'm
getting on long trips- when the distance travelled on battery is tiny
fraction of the trip or I've not been able to 'plug in', it seems
remarkably good compared to a comparable petrol 4x4 which is actually
lighter (but admittedly older).

You can also charge the batteries from the engine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian Reay writes
Well, as far as I can tell, the Outlander PHEV generates electricity
and uses it to power electric motors when the batteries are 'flat'.
Yes, I know, at first it seems inefficient but going by the consumption
I'm getting on long trips- when the distance travelled on battery is
tiny fraction of the trip or I've not been able to 'plug in', it seems
remarkably good compared to a comparable petrol 4x4 which is actually
lighter (but admittedly older).

You can also charge the batteries from the engine.

Just for interest, because there's no way I can afford one, why are
these relatively heavy hybrid 4 x 4's so lacking in towing performance
compared with a petrol or diesel vehicle?
The diesel Outlander is lighter, but can tow much more.
--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill wrote:
Just for interest, because there's no way I can afford one, why are
these relatively heavy hybrid 4 x 4's so lacking in towing performance
compared with a petrol or diesel vehicle?
The diesel Outlander is lighter, but can tow much more.

Because towing can require a fairly constant power output. A hybrid can
provide bursts of high power, but not sustained. They are basically town
vehicles.

I well remember hiring an early Prius. MPG around town was amazing. But on
a long journey with a full load trying to keep up with motorway speeds,
MPG was abysmal - far worse than an equivalent performance petrol car.
let alone diesel.

--
*Just give me chocolate and nobody gets hurt

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Bill wrote:
Just for interest, because there's no way I can afford one, why are
these relatively heavy hybrid 4 x 4's so lacking in towing performance
compared with a petrol or diesel vehicle?
The diesel Outlander is lighter, but can tow much more.

Because towing can require a fairly constant power output. A hybrid can
provide bursts of high power, but not sustained. They are basically town
vehicles.

I well remember hiring an early Prius. MPG around town was amazing. But on
a long journey with a full load trying to keep up with motorway speeds,
MPG was abysmal - far worse than an equivalent performance petrol car.
let alone diesel.

OK, but my first LR 110 with its ancient, low powered but utterly
reliable 2.25 petrol engine could barely reach motorway speeds on its
own, let alone keep up.

It was rated for towing 3.5 tons and we towed lower weights with it
fine. I always thought that the towing rating was based on structural
strength and weight of the towing vehicle rather than power.

A heavy hybrid 4 x 4 might not be for me, it seems.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill wrote:
I well remember hiring an early Prius. MPG around town was amazing. But on
a long journey with a full load trying to keep up with motorway speeds,
MPG was abysmal - far worse than an equivalent performance petrol car.
let alone diesel.

OK, but my first LR 110 with its ancient, low powered but utterly
reliable 2.25 petrol engine could barely reach motorway speeds on its
own, let alone keep up.

It was rated for towing 3.5 tons and we towed lower weights with it
fine. I always thought that the towing rating was based on structural
strength and weight of the towing vehicle rather than power.

It's going to need an excess of 'power' over what it needs for itself to
tow. Especially up hills. Hybrids tend to provide the extra power for hill
climbing etc via the electric motor. On a ordinary vehicle you can just
use a lower gear, and do it more slowly. With a hybrid, when the battery
is exhausted, no additional power.

Not to say you couldn't make a tow vehicle using the technology.

--
*How many roads must a man travel down before he admits he is lost? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tow limits (was OT Don't quite see how this'll work???)

On 01/12/2017 12:56, Bill wrote:
OK, but my first LR 110 with its ancient, low powered but utterly
reliable 2.25 petrol engine could barely reach motorway speeds on its
own, let alone keep up.

A reliable Landrover???

It was rated for towing 3.5 tons and we towed lower weights with it
fine. I always thought that the towing rating was based on structural
strength and weight of the towing vehicle rather than power.

AIUI it's based on restarting on a 1 in 3 hill. With 4WD and low ratio
they can produce a ridiculously large force. Just not at any speed.

A heavy hybrid 4 x 4 might not be for me, it seems.

I didn't realise until after we'd bought it that my wife's new car won't
allow a towbar. I only need to tow 200Kg FFS...

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Bill
writes
Bill wrote:
[...]

The ability to tow a weight simply requires the vehicle to overcome the
rolling resistance of the load. Max towing weight depends upon a number
of factors. Just buy a motorhome and you will soon find out :-)
A heavy hybrid 4 x 4 might not be for me, it seems.

--
bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29-Nov-17 4:54 PM, harry wrote:
https://www.express.co.uk/finance/ci...-Royce-Siemens

Why not? You need a lot less power to stay in the air than to get off
the ground in the first place.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/17 18:19, Nightjar wrote:
On 29-Nov-17 4:54 PM, harry wrote:
https://www.express.co.uk/finance/ci...-Royce-Siemens

Why not? You need a lot less power to stay in the air than to get off
the ground in the first place.

Indeed. criusie power on an efficient airframe is the same as the glide
slope in terms of ft lb per second descent..but to gain altudude you
need a lot more.

You calcualate 1000fpm and turn that into watts per lb...

and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally
important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for
the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the
truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Joseph Goebbels

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
On Wed, 29 Nov 2017 18:52:19 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 29/11/17 18:19, Nightjar wrote:
On 29-Nov-17 4:54 PM, harry wrote:
https://www.express.co.uk/finance/ci...brid-electric-

engine-Rolls-Royce-Siemens

Why not? You need a lot less power to stay in the air than to get off
the ground in the first place.

Indeed. criusie power on an efficient airframe is the same as the glide
slope in terms of ft lb per second descent..but to gain altudude you
need a lot more.

This is where engineering and population spectacularly fail to intersect.

Given the location of most busy airports, a rapid ascent is essential in
the event of a problem developing (as the film "Sully" demonstrates).

Now if airports were much more coastal (given the one thing the UK has is
a practically infinite coastline) then it would make sense.

There's always Sumburgh. Both end of the runway have the sea!

But it's interesting that the UK has tended to site it's big cities
markedly inland.

perhaps because people drink fresh water?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 29 Nov 2017 08:54:28 -0800 (PST), harry
coalesced the vapors of human experience
into a viable and meaningful comprehension...

https://www.express.co.uk/finance/ci...-Royce-Siemens

The images don't match the copy, they relate to different stories,
albeit Airbus related.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. explained on 29/11/2017 :
The images don't match the copy, they relate to different stories,
albeit Airbus related.

The trick is that all of the passenger seats will be equipped with
pedals, connected to generators, which then keep the batteries charged.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/2017 19:20, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Graham. explained on 29/11/2017 :
The images don't match the copy, they relate to different stories,
albeit Airbus related.

The trick is that all of the passenger seats will be equipped with
pedals, connected to generators, which then keep the batteries charged.

Nah, there will be a fancy gym with all sorts of treadmills, rowing
machines, etc
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29-Nov-17 7:20 PM, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Graham. explained on 29/11/2017 :
The images don't match the copy, they relate to different stories,
albeit Airbus related.

The trick is that all of the passenger seats will be equipped with
pedals, connected to generators, which then keep the batteries charged.

A good way to avoid DVT :-)

Colin Bignell