DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   OT Don't quite see how this'll work??? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/600945-ot-dont-quite-see-how-thisll-work.html)

harry November 29th 17 04:54 PM

OT Don't quite see how this'll work???

https://www.express.co.uk/finance/ci...-Royce-Siemens

whisky-dave[_2_] November 29th 17 05:02 PM

On Wednesday, 29 November 2017 16:54:32 UTC, harry wrote:
https://www.express.co.uk/finance/ci...-Royce-Siemens

Well if drone can fly by battery power why can't planes eventually run on batteries.

Harry Bloomfield[_3_] November 29th 17 05:03 PM

OT Don't quite see how this'll work???

harry explained :
https://www.express.co.uk/finance/ci...-Royce-Siemens

A long (very) extension lead?

Brian Gaff November 29th 17 05:28 PM

OT Don't quite see how this'll work???

I have not read it but to my knowledge Airbus have had an electric light
aircraft flying for some years. it had a somewhat limited range though so
was only for research into battery tech.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!

Brian Reay[_6_] November 29th 17 05:30 PM

On 29/11/17 16:54, harry wrote:
https://www.express.co.uk/finance/ci...-Royce-Siemens

Well, as far as I can tell, the Outlander PHEV generates electricity and
uses it to power electric motors when the batteries are 'flat'. Yes, I
know, at first it seems inefficient but going by the consumption I'm
getting on long trips- when the distance travelled on battery is tiny
fraction of the trip or I've not been able to 'plug in', it seems
remarkably good compared to a comparable petrol 4x4 which is actually
lighter (but admittedly older).

You can also charge the batteries from the engine.

bm[_2_] November 29th 17 06:16 PM

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 29 November 2017 16:54:32 UTC, harry wrote:
https://www.express.co.uk/finance/ci...-Royce-Siemens

Well if drone can fly by battery power why can't planes eventually run on
batteries.

If stupid, spineless May has her way we'll all be thin and light enough for
battery powered flight.
50 billion is half of what steptoe would borrow, ludicrous.
Dave, I told you way back down the road, Brexit will never happen.
Don't worry yourself.

Nightjar November 29th 17 06:19 PM

On 29-Nov-17 4:54 PM, harry wrote:
https://www.express.co.uk/finance/ci...-Royce-Siemens

Why not? You need a lot less power to stay in the air than to get off
the ground in the first place.

Colin Bignell

Graham.[_11_] November 29th 17 06:20 PM

OT Don't quite see how this'll work???

On Wed, 29 Nov 2017 08:54:28 -0800 (PST), harry
coalesced the vapors of human experience
into a viable and meaningful comprehension...

https://www.express.co.uk/finance/ci...-Royce-Siemens

The images don't match the copy, they relate to different stories,
albeit Airbus related.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] November 29th 17 06:48 PM

On 29/11/17 17:02, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 29 November 2017 16:54:32 UTC, harry wrote:
https://www.express.co.uk/finance/ci...-Royce-Siemens

Well if drone can fly by battery power why can't planes eventually run on batteries.

They already can. Just not for very long

--
In todays liberal progressive conflict-free education system, everyone
gets full Marx.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] November 29th 17 06:52 PM

On 29/11/17 18:19, Nightjar wrote:
On 29-Nov-17 4:54 PM, harry wrote:
https://www.express.co.uk/finance/ci...-Royce-Siemens

Why not? You need a lot less power to stay in the air than to get off
the ground in the first place.

Indeed. criusie power on an efficient airframe is the same as the glide
slope in terms of ft lb per second descent..but to gain altudude you
need a lot more.

You calcualate 1000fpm and turn that into watts per lb...

and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally
important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for
the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the
truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Joseph Goebbels

Harry Bloomfield[_3_] November 29th 17 07:20 PM

OT Don't quite see how this'll work???

Graham. explained on 29/11/2017 :
The images don't match the copy, they relate to different stories,
albeit Airbus related.

The trick is that all of the passenger seats will be equipped with
pedals, connected to generators, which then keep the batteries charged.

Rod Speed November 29th 17 07:56 PM

OT Don't quite see how this'll work???

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 29 November 2017 16:54:32 UTC, harry wrote:
https://www.express.co.uk/finance/ci...-Royce-Siemens

Well if drone can fly by battery power why can't planes eventually run on
batteries.

They tend to be a tad larger and fly rather further.

Harry Bloomfield[_3_] November 29th 17 09:57 PM

OT Don't quite see how this'll work???

Rod Speed has brought this to us :
They tend to be a tad larger and fly rather further.

...and much faster.

Bill[_18_] November 30th 17 01:04 AM

OT Don't quite see how this'll work???

In message , Brian Reay writes
Well, as far as I can tell, the Outlander PHEV generates electricity
and uses it to power electric motors when the batteries are 'flat'.
Yes, I know, at first it seems inefficient but going by the consumption
I'm getting on long trips- when the distance travelled on battery is
tiny fraction of the trip or I've not been able to 'plug in', it seems
remarkably good compared to a comparable petrol 4x4 which is actually
lighter (but admittedly older).

You can also charge the batteries from the engine.

Just for interest, because there's no way I can afford one, why are
these relatively heavy hybrid 4 x 4's so lacking in towing performance
compared with a petrol or diesel vehicle?
The diesel Outlander is lighter, but can tow much more.
--
Bill

Dennis@home November 30th 17 08:39 AM

On 29/11/2017 18:16, bm wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 29 November 2017 16:54:32 UTC, harry wrote:
https://www.express.co.uk/finance/ci...-Royce-Siemens

Well if drone can fly by battery power why can't planes eventually run on
batteries.

If stupid, spineless May has her way we'll all be thin and light enough for
battery powered flight.
50 billion is half of what steptoe would borrow, ludicrous.
Dave, I told you way back down the road, Brexit will never happen.
Don't worry yourself.

Its not May that is costing us 50 billion its people like you!
Just remember that when the suffering starts.

newshound November 30th 17 09:08 AM

On 29/11/2017 19:20, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Graham. explained on 29/11/2017 :
The images don't match the copy, they relate to different stories,
albeit Airbus related.

The trick is that all of the passenger seats will be equipped with
pedals, connected to generators, which then keep the batteries charged.

Nah, there will be a fancy gym with all sorts of treadmills, rowing
machines, etc

bm[_2_] November 30th 17 09:23 AM

OT Don't quite see how this'll work???

"dennis@home" wrote in message
eb.com...
On 29/11/2017 18:16, bm wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 29 November 2017 16:54:32 UTC, harry wrote:
https://www.express.co.uk/finance/ci...-Royce-Siemens

Well if drone can fly by battery power why can't planes eventually run
on
batteries.

If stupid, spineless May has her way we'll all be thin and light enough
for
battery powered flight.
50 billion is half of what steptoe would borrow, ludicrous.
Dave, I told you way back down the road, Brexit will never happen.
Don't worry yourself.

Its not May that is costing us 50 billion its people like you!
Just remember that when the suffering starts.

Have you actually heard of the schoolkid tripe coming from the EU?
You wanna continue to be governed by those arseholes?
At least (even without a backbone) our guvmint are OUR arseholes (some of
'em).
Did you have a look at FCO 30/1048 or did you convince yourself it was
********?

Dennis@home November 30th 17 09:50 AM

Everything you say is ********.

Rod Speed November 30th 17 09:54 AM

On 29/11/2017 18:16, bm wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 29 November 2017 16:54:32 UTC, harry wrote:
https://www.express.co.uk/finance/ci...-Royce-Siemens

Well if drone can fly by battery power why can't planes eventually run
on
batteries.

If stupid, spineless May has her way we'll all be thin and light enough
for
battery powered flight.
50 billion is half of what steptoe would borrow, ludicrous.
Dave, I told you way back down the road, Brexit will never happen.
Don't worry yourself.

Its not May that is costing us 50 billion

Corse it is. Davis should be telling the EU to go
and **** themselves and that Article 50 says nothing
about any exit fee and neither does the Lisbon treaty.

its people like you!

Just another of your bare faced remoaner lies.

Just remember that when the suffering starts.

It wont, you watch.

bm[_2_] November 30th 17 10:30 AM

On 29/11/2017 18:16, bm wrote:
[...]

Terrific response Den.
LMFAO.

Dave Plowman (News) November 30th 17 11:23 AM

OT Don't quite see how this'll work???

In article ,
Bill wrote:
Just for interest, because there's no way I can afford one, why are
these relatively heavy hybrid 4 x 4's so lacking in towing performance
compared with a petrol or diesel vehicle?
The diesel Outlander is lighter, but can tow much more.

Because towing can require a fairly constant power output. A hybrid can
provide bursts of high power, but not sustained. They are basically town
vehicles.

I well remember hiring an early Prius. MPG around town was amazing. But on
a long journey with a full load trying to keep up with motorway speeds,
MPG was abysmal - far worse than an equivalent performance petrol car.
let alone diesel.

--
*Just give me chocolate and nobody gets hurt

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dave Plowman (News) November 30th 17 11:32 AM

OT Don't quite see how this'll work???

In article . com,
bm wrote:
Its not May that is costing us 50 billion its people like you!
Just remember that when the suffering starts.

Have you actually heard of the schoolkid tripe coming from the EU?
You wanna continue to be governed by those arseholes?
At least (even without a backbone) our guvmint are OUR arseholes (some of
'em).
Did you have a look at FCO 30/1048 or did you convince yourself it was
********?

Wonder what your real agenda is by wanting to bring the country down - as
would happen if we leave the EU without a trade agreement, and nothing to
replace it in force? Apart from the wild assumptions from the likes of you
that it will be easy to set up new trade agreements with other countries -
despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Seems to me just a hope of an old man to go back to when things were
better for him, remembered through distinctly rose tinted specs.

--
*Women who seek to be equal to men lack ambition.

whisky-dave[_2_] November 30th 17 12:08 PM

On Wednesday, 29 November 2017 18:48:26 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 29/11/17 17:02, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 29 November 2017 16:54:32 UTC, harry wrote:
https://www.express.co.uk/finance/ci...-Royce-Siemens

Well if drone can fly by battery power why can't planes eventually run on batteries.

They already can. Just not for very long

Solar Impulse 2, did OK

Nightjar November 30th 17 12:15 PM

On 29-Nov-17 7:20 PM, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Graham. explained on 29/11/2017 :
The images don't match the copy, they relate to different stories,
albeit Airbus related.

The trick is that all of the passenger seats will be equipped with
pedals, connected to generators, which then keep the batteries charged.

A good way to avoid DVT :-)

Colin Bignell

charles November 30th 17 12:25 PM

Jethro_uk wrote:
On Wed, 29 Nov 2017 18:52:19 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 29/11/17 18:19, Nightjar wrote:
On 29-Nov-17 4:54 PM, harry wrote:
https://www.express.co.uk/finance/ci...brid-electric-

engine-Rolls-Royce-Siemens

Why not? You need a lot less power to stay in the air than to get off
the ground in the first place.

Indeed. criusie power on an efficient airframe is the same as the glide
slope in terms of ft lb per second descent..but to gain altudude you
need a lot more.

This is where engineering and population spectacularly fail to intersect.

Given the location of most busy airports, a rapid ascent is essential in
the event of a problem developing (as the film "Sully" demonstrates).

Now if airports were much more coastal (given the one thing the UK has is
a practically infinite coastline) then it would make sense.

There's always Sumburgh. Both end of the runway have the sea!

But it's interesting that the UK has tended to site it's big cities
markedly inland.

perhaps because people drink fresh water?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

bm[_2_] November 30th 17 01:20 PM

OT Don't quite see how this'll work???

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article . com,
bm wrote:
[...]

Listen old man, it's the anti-Brit remoaners who are doing for us instead of
getting behind the country.
We need to grow some balls and stand on our own two feet.
You and your ilk seem to be scared ****less.
In any case it'll never happen, Dave.
We don't have a democracy.
Your stash of cash will see you through, whatever happens.

Dave Plowman (News) November 30th 17 02:43 PM

OT Don't quite see how this'll work???

In article om,
bm wrote:
Seems to me just a hope of an old man to go back to when things were
better for him, remembered through distinctly rose tinted specs.

Listen old man, it's the anti-Brit remoaners who are doing for us
instead of getting behind the country. We need to grow some balls and
stand on our own two feet.

Telling others what they must do again, eh? To get you out of the ****
you've brought about?

You'd make an ideal General. Sending others to their deaths from the
comfort of your London office.

You and your like got us in this mess. Through not being able to reason
through the likelihood of events if we left. Despite being told often
enough.

You and your ilk seem to be scared ****less.
In any case it'll never happen, Dave. We don't have a democracy. Your
stash of cash will see you through, whatever happens.

Your jealousy doesn't get less, then?

--
*White with a hint of M42*

[email protected] November 30th 17 03:26 PM

On Thursday, 30 November 2017 13:20:34 UTC, bm wrote:

We need to grow some balls and stand on our own two feet.

You and your ilk seem to be scared ****less.

I would be if it were the other way round.

bm[_2_] November 30th 17 03:48 PM

bm wrote:
Seems to me just a hope of an old man to go back to when things were
better for him, remembered through distinctly rose tinted specs.

Listen old man, it's the anti-Brit remoaners who are doing for us
instead of getting behind the country. We need to grow some balls and
stand on our own two feet.

Telling others what they must do again, eh? To get you out of the ****
you've brought about?

If you could bother to read, I suggested what we NEED to do.

You'd make an ideal General. Sending others to their deaths from the
comfort of your London office.

You and your like got us in this mess. Through not being able to reason
through the likelihood of events if we left. Despite being told often
enough.

It wouldn't be a mess if subservient anti-Brits like you would support YOUR
country instead of continually trembling and talking it down.

You and your ilk seem to be scared ****less.
In any case it'll never happen, Dave. We don't have a democracy. Your
stash of cash will see you through, whatever happens.

Your jealousy doesn't get less, then?

You really are the big jumped-up ego tripster.
Don't worry about me old son, my stash is fine even if steptoe gets in.

Dennis@home November 30th 17 07:47 PM

OT Don't quite see how this'll work???

On 30/11/2017 10:30, bm wrote:
8

Everything you say is ********.

Terrific response Den.
LMFAO.

See, more ********.

Dennis@home November 30th 17 07:51 PM

bm wrote:
[...]

We are behind the country unlike brex****eers who put their own
interests first and don't care what happens to others.

We need to grow some balls and stand on our own two feet.
You and your ilk seem to be scared ****less.

So scared that we still say you talk ********.
You are wrong and are so scared of being found out you have to lie about
everything.

In any case it'll never happen, Dave.
We don't have a democracy.
Your stash of cash will see you through, whatever happens.

Mine will but I probably won't leave much for the kids, much like brexit
won't.

bm[_2_] November 30th 17 08:04 PM

OT Don't quite see how this'll work???

"dennis@home" wrote in message
web.com...
bm wrote:
[...]

Hey Dennis, grow some.
You're another one subservient to your precious EU.
If anyone talks ********, they do.

Rod Speed November 30th 17 08:49 PM

bm wrote:
Its not May that is costing us 50 billion its people like you!
Just remember that when the suffering starts.

Have you actually heard of the schoolkid tripe coming from the EU?
You wanna continue to be governed by those arseholes?
At least (even without a backbone) our guvmint are OUR arseholes (some of
'em).
Did you have a look at FCO 30/1048 or did you convince yourself it was
********?

Wonder what your real agenda is by wanting to bring the country down
- as would happen if we leave the EU without a trade agreement,

Even sillier than you usually manage, and that’s saying something.

How odd that all of Australia, NZ, USA, India, Japan, Korea etc
etc etc manage fine outside the EU without a trade agreement.
Are you seriously trying to claim that Britain is so ****ing
hopeless economically that it wouldn’t be able to do fine too ?

and nothing to replace it in force?

There is always the WTO to replace it and that remains in force.

Apart from the wild assumptions from the likes of you that it
will be easy to set up new trade agreements with other countries -

Corse it will and isnt necessary anyway, Britain is free to trade under
the WTO rules, just like it already does now with all but the EU.

despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Not a shred of evidence to the contrary, just remoaner lies.

Seems to me just a hope of an old man to go back to when things
were better for him, remembered through distinctly rose tinted specs.

Then you need to get your seems machinery seen to, BAD.

Rod Speed November 30th 17 08:58 PM

wrote:
On 29/11/17 17:02, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 29 November 2017 16:54:32 UTC, harry wrote:
https://www.express.co.uk/finance/ci...-Royce-Siemens

Well if drone can fly by battery power why can't planes eventually run
on batteries.

They already can. Just not for very long

Solar Impulse 2, did OK

Pity about the number of pax it can carry. Like none, zero, nada, ziltch.

Dave Plowman (News) November 30th 17 11:58 PM

bm wrote:
Seems to me just a hope of an old man to go back to when things were
better for him, remembered through distinctly rose tinted specs.

Listen old man, it's the anti-Brit remoaners who are doing for us
instead of getting behind the country. We need to grow some balls and
stand on our own two feet.

Telling others what they must do again, eh? To get you out of the ****
you've brought about?

If you could bother to read, I suggested what we NEED to do.

Speaking for others again. Which is just my point below.

You'd make an ideal General. Sending others to their deaths from the
comfort of your London office.

You and your like got us in this mess. Through not being able to reason
through the likelihood of events if we left. Despite being told often
enough.

It wouldn't be a mess if subservient anti-Brits like you would support
YOUR country instead of continually trembling and talking it down.

That's certainly more assumptions than even you usually manage.
But I'll tell you something. I believe in improving the lot of the whole
country - not just the select few like you wannabe Tories.

You and your ilk seem to be scared ****less.
In any case it'll never happen, Dave. We don't have a democracy. Your
stash of cash will see you through, whatever happens.

Your jealousy doesn't get less, then?

You really are the big jumped-up ego tripster.

Given how often you mention what you think are my circumstances, jealousy
is the only reasonable conclusion.

Don't worry about me old son, my stash is fine even if steptoe gets in.

That character is ficticious and the actor who played him long since dead.
Is your 'stash' the same?

--
*It ain't the size, it's... er... no, it IS ..the size.

bm[_2_] December 1st 17 12:31 AM

OT Don't quite see how this'll work???

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
snip
That's certainly more assumptions than even you usually manage.
But I'll tell you something. I believe in improving the lot of the whole
country - not just the select few like you wannabe Tories.

Then why the hell do you support steptoe? Do you use a white stick?
Told you before, i'm no wannabe Tory OR Labour. I'll vote for who I believe
can do the job at the time.
As it happens, none of them can.

You and your ilk seem to be scared ****less.
In any case it'll never happen, Dave. We don't have a democracy. Your
stash of cash will see you through, whatever happens.

Your jealousy doesn't get less, then?

You really are the big jumped-up ego tripster.

Given how often you mention what you think are my circumstances, jealousy
is the only reasonable conclusion.

No Dave, I NEVER comment on what your circumstances might be. Your crystal
ball comments on mine though.
I just take the **** out of what you believe yourself to be.
I.e, a sound engineer, just one step down from the monarchy.

Don't worry about me old son, my stash is fine even if steptoe gets in.

That character is ficticious and the actor who played him long since dead.

He's resurrected and leader of Liebor.

Is your 'stash' the same?

Don't you worry about my stash, it's fine thanks.

Pulease don't start with the "i've got more money than you" crap.
Seems you're heading that way.

Dennis@home December 1st 17 09:19 AM

On 30/11/2017 12:08, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 29 November 2017 18:48:26 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 29/11/17 17:02, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 29 November 2017 16:54:32 UTC, harry wrote:
https://www.express.co.uk/finance/ci...-Royce-Siemens

Well if drone can fly by battery power why can't planes eventually run on batteries.

They already can. Just not for very long

Solar Impulse 2, did OK

You do know why it flew in the direction it did?
You won't see a return journey from it.
Hot air balloons did it quicker with more passengers.

Bill[_18_] December 1st 17 12:56 PM

OT Don't quite see how this'll work???

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Bill wrote:
Just for interest, because there's no way I can afford one, why are
these relatively heavy hybrid 4 x 4's so lacking in towing performance
compared with a petrol or diesel vehicle?
The diesel Outlander is lighter, but can tow much more.

Because towing can require a fairly constant power output. A hybrid can
provide bursts of high power, but not sustained. They are basically town
vehicles.

I well remember hiring an early Prius. MPG around town was amazing. But on
a long journey with a full load trying to keep up with motorway speeds,
MPG was abysmal - far worse than an equivalent performance petrol car.
let alone diesel.

OK, but my first LR 110 with its ancient, low powered but utterly
reliable 2.25 petrol engine could barely reach motorway speeds on its
own, let alone keep up.

It was rated for towing 3.5 tons and we towed lower weights with it
fine. I always thought that the towing rating was based on structural
strength and weight of the towing vehicle rather than power.

A heavy hybrid 4 x 4 might not be for me, it seems.
--
Bill

whisky-dave[_2_] December 1st 17 01:06 PM

wrote:
On 29/11/17 17:02, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 29 November 2017 16:54:32 UTC, harry wrote:
https://www.express.co.uk/finance/ci...-Royce-Siemens

Well if drone can fly by battery power why can't planes eventually run
on batteries.

They already can. Just not for very long

Solar Impulse 2, did OK

Pity about the number of pax it can carry. Like none, zero, nada, ziltch.

How many pax could the wright brothers plane carry ?

whisky-dave[_2_] December 1st 17 01:07 PM

On Friday, 1 December 2017 09:20:05 UTC, dennis@home wrote:
On 30/11/2017 12:08, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 29 November 2017 18:48:26 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 29/11/17 17:02, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 29 November 2017 16:54:32 UTC, harry wrote:
https://www.express.co.uk/finance/ci...-Royce-Siemens

Well if drone can fly by battery power why can't planes eventually run on batteries.

They already can. Just not for very long

Solar Impulse 2, did OK

You do know why it flew in the direction it did?
You won't see a return journey from it.
Hot air balloons did it quicker with more passengers.

You do know why planes follow the routes they do don't you ?