Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hip Irons ...

Are hip irons really required or are they there just to hold hip tiles in
place until the mortar sets ? ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/2017 10:16, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Are hip irons really required or are they there just to hold hip tiles in
place until the mortar sets ? ...

They are worth having, since they keep the tiles in place even when the
mortar fails.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/17 10:16, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Are hip irons really required or are they there just to hold hip tiles in
place until the mortar sets ? ...

They hold the tiles in place after the mortar has loosened and failed.
So they don't fall on your head.

TW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 29 November 2017 10:28:22 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 29/11/2017 10:16, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Are hip irons really required or are they there just to hold hip tiles in
place until the mortar sets ? ...

They are worth having, since they keep the tiles in place even when the
mortar fails.

Especially on slate/similar smooth roofs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TimW" wrote in message
news
On 29/11/17 10:16, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Are hip irons really required or are they there just to hold hip tiles in
place until the mortar sets ? ...

They hold the tiles in place after the mortar has loosened and failed. So
they don't fall on your head.

Never seen them here.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 29 November 2017 10:28:22 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 29/11/2017 10:16, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Are hip irons really required or are they there just to hold hip tiles
in
place until the mortar sets ? ...

They are worth having, since they keep the tiles in place even when the
mortar fails.

Especially on slate/similar smooth roofs.

what?.....surely you would have a concealed lead soaker ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"TimW" wrote in message
news
On 29/11/17 10:16, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Are hip irons really required or are they there just to hold hip tiles
in
place until the mortar sets ? ...

They hold the tiles in place after the mortar has loosened and failed. So
they don't fall on your head.

Never seen them here.

some are hard to see but I bet you will start seeing them now .......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"harry" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 29 November 2017 10:28:22 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 29/11/2017 10:16, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Are hip irons really required or are they there just to hold hip tiles
in
place until the mortar sets ? ...

They are worth having, since they keep the tiles in place even when the
mortar fails.

Especially on slate/similar smooth roofs.

what?.....surely you would have a concealed lead soaker ?

no you are correct I have seen them with hip tiles...I think.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"TimW" wrote in message
news
On 29/11/17 10:16, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Are hip irons really required or are they there just to hold hip tiles
in
place until the mortar sets ? ...

They hold the tiles in place after the mortar has loosened and failed.
So they don't fall on your head.

Never seen them here.

some are hard to see but I bet you will start seeing them now .......

Nope, I wont because I know we don’t have them
and can use google street view to prove we don’t.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"TimW" wrote in message
news On 29/11/17 10:16, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Are hip irons really required or are they there just to hold hip tiles
in
place until the mortar sets ? ...

They hold the tiles in place after the mortar has loosened and failed.
So they don't fall on your head.

Never seen them here.

some are hard to see but I bet you will start seeing them now .......

Nope, I wont because I know we don’t have them
and can use google street view to prove we don’t.

merrycans only build shanty towns and love shingles so not surprised.......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"TimW" wrote in message
news On 29/11/17 10:16, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Are hip irons really required or are they there just to hold hip
tiles in
place until the mortar sets ? ...

They hold the tiles in place after the mortar has loosened and failed.
So they don't fall on your head.

Never seen them here.

some are hard to see but I bet you will start seeing them now .......

Nope, I wont because I know we don’t have them
and can use google street view to prove we don’t.

merrycans

Nothing to do with me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"TimW" wrote in message
news On 29/11/17 10:16, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Are hip irons really required or are they there just to hold hip
tiles in
place until the mortar sets ? ...

They hold the tiles in place after the mortar has loosened and
failed. So they don't fall on your head.

Never seen them here.

some are hard to see but I bet you will start seeing them now .......

Nope, I wont because I know we don’t have them
and can use google street view to prove we don’t.

merrycans

Nothing to do with me.

thanks for letting me know .......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

"harry" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 29 November 2017 10:28:22 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 29/11/2017 10:16, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Are hip irons really required or are they there just to hold hip tiles
in
place until the mortar sets ? ...

They are worth having, since they keep the tiles in place even when the
mortar fails.

Especially on slate/similar smooth roofs.

what?.....surely you would have a concealed lead soaker ?

More often zinc round here. Keeps its shape better when unsupported. Lead
can sag.

--
*Would a fly without wings be called a walk?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

"harry" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 29 November 2017 10:28:22 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 29/11/2017 10:16, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Are hip irons really required or are they there just to hold hip
tiles
in
place until the mortar sets ? ...

They are worth having, since they keep the tiles in place even when
the
mortar fails.

Especially on slate/similar smooth roofs.

what?.....surely you would have a concealed lead soaker ?

More often zinc round here. Keeps its shape better when unsupported. Lead
can sag.

yes you can't beat a good section of zinc ridging on a hip for a roof with
slates......

Laminated plane irons? Juergen Hannappel Woodworking 0 January 21st 06 12:23 PM
shipbuilding caulking irons Eide Metalworking 14 April 9th 05 12:45 AM
Branding irons John T Woodworking 13 December 28th 04 02:26 PM
Hock 'classic' vs. cryogenic irons Gordon Airporte Woodworking 2 December 6th 04 10:58 PM
Clifton two piece cap irons on sale My Old Tools Woodworking 2 September 14th 03 11:38 PM