John T

Default Branding irons

Anyone know what the wattage is of the average branding iron offered for
woodworkers?

Anyone know of a source for the heating wand only? It looks like the
"brand" is made of brass or something, and being a machinist, I thought
I could come up with a unique brand for myself (The iron, not on me!)

John

AAvK

"John T" wrote in message ...
Anyone know what the wattage is of the average branding iron offered for
woodworkers?

Anyone know of a source for the heating wand only? It looks like the
"brand" is made of brass or something, and being a machinist, I thought
I could come up with a unique brand for myself (The iron, not on me!)

John

Bronze man, BRONZE!

Alex

BillyBob

"John T" wrote in message
Anyone know what the wattage is of the average branding iron offered for
woodworkers?

Woodcraft website says 125 watts.

Bob

Wood Butcher

I was looking for one of these recently too.
Rockler has one now on sale for $70.
I also found a $36 one at
http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/
(search for "branding")

HTH
Art

"John T" wrote in message
Anyone know what the wattage is of the average branding iron offered for
woodworkers?

Anyone know of a source for the heating wand only? It looks like the
"brand" is made of brass or something, and being a machinist, I thought
I could come up with a unique brand for myself (The iron, not on me!)

John

Upscale

"John T"
Anyone know what the wattage is of the average branding iron offered for
woodworkers?

Anyone know of a source for the heating wand only? It looks like the
"brand" is made of brass or something, and being a machinist, I thought
I could come up with a unique brand for myself (The iron, not on me!)

Lee Valley Tools has a few models, electric and non-electric. They come with
lettering of your choice, but you could probably buy one without lettering
if you desired.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...,43 456,43462

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...,43 456,43462

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 21:49:51 -0600, John T
calmly ranted:

Anyone know what the wattage is of the average branding iron offered for
woodworkers?

Anyone know of a source for the heating wand only? It looks like the
"brand" is made of brass or something, and being a machinist, I thought
I could come up with a unique brand for myself (The iron, not on me!)

How big is your brand?
http://www.horsecanyon.com/hcs/mini-irons.htm shows them using a
Weller 80 watt iron for their mini-brands. I recently picked up a
100w import iron for stained glass work which would probably work
as a base. It was $18.95 + $6.95 s/h on Ebay. She has been using
the Choice brand for years in teaching stained glass classes and
has never had a problem with them. They're a nice iron. TIG your
brand onto the standard insert tip and go. Tips aren't replaceable,
they're part of the insert, so buy a different iron for each brand.
They're cheap enough at that price.

www.HarmonyStainedGlass.com is the direct link, and Donna is great
to work with. (Say Hi! for me.) standard disclaimer applies

* Scattered Showers My Ass! * Insightful Advertising Copy
* --Noah * http://www.diversify.com

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 05:47:23 -0800, Larry Jaques
calmly ranted:

[...]

Oops, I meant Joyce. (I got the temp controller from Donna.)

--
The State always moves slowly and grudgingly towards any purpose that
accrues to society's advantage, but moves rapidly and with alacrity

TWS

wrote:

Anyone know what the wattage is of the average branding iron offered for
woodworkers?

Anyone know of a source for the heating wand only? It looks like the
"brand" is made of brass or something, and being a machinist, I thought
I could come up with a unique brand for myself (The iron, not on me!)

John

John, an interesting alternative is to get your distinct logo (etc)
laser engraved into a wooden disk that you then mount or inset into
your finished piece. There is a place here in NC who will engrave any
pattern you can produce on a PC and provide the disks in practically
any species you want. They are quite accommodating and surprisingly
inexpensive.

If you're interested let me know - I'll have to dig up their contact
info.

TWS

RKG

John T wrote:

Anyone know what the wattage is of the average branding iron offered
for woodworkers?

Anyone know of a source for the heating wand only? It looks like the
"brand" is made of brass or something, and being a machinist, I
thought I could come up with a unique brand for myself (The iron, not
on me!)

John

My son and daughter in law just got me one of the Lee Valley ones for
Christmas it's marked 125 watts. Works real nice except on oak, the
outside edges seem a little cooler and it doesn't always brand the wood
as well.

Rick

Ron Magen

John T -
Matter of fact, the 'Crafts' catalogs that sell the branding irons offer the
choice of electric or 'manual'.

At first I thought you would have to keep them in a fire - like they do at
Williamsburg. Then I read an article about making your own, and they used a
torch {a la JT's suggestion}. In fact, that way you could make sure the
ENTIRE surface was heated properly and get an even imprint.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

John T wrote:

Anyone know what the wattage is of the average branding iron offered
for woodworkers?

AAvK

I was looking for one of these recently too.
Rockler has one now on sale for $70.
I also found a $36 one at
http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/
(search for "branding") HTH Art

That's cool, thanks for that note...!

Alex

Sweet Sawdust

I have and use several branding irons and would make the following
recommendations, Make sure the shaft is screwed into the head and then
pined to the head. The head is made of bronze and deep cut not shallow cut.
The shaft is over 10" in length. I have had irons made by a company called
"New Brand" that did not meet all of these specks and the head fell off the
shaft when it got hot. Soldering the head to the shaft just does not hold
up. When I brand I usually do 50 or more items at a time and find that
propane works very well for that, under ten items and propane is a pain but
does work well. heating time from cold to red hot is from 5 to 10 mins
depending on the iron, and the iron needs to be reheated every 6 to 10 items
for about 2 to 3 mins with propane. The irons I use range in price for
$30 to $250 if that helps.