Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

Default Black Friday/ Cyber Monday SSD deals? - X-post

Anyone spotted any outstanding SSD deals?

120 - 240 Gig preferred.

Decided my 60 Gb SSD is just too small for any OS in 2017 (at least any
Windows OS).

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Nov 2017 14:43:31 +0000, David wrote:

Anyone spotted any outstanding SSD deals?

120 - 240 Gig preferred.

Decided my 60 Gb SSD is just too small for any OS in 2017 (at least any
Windows OS).

Oh, and any 1TB external USB drives.

Google is throwing up one at Argos for under £50 but my Googling is often
unreliable.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Nov 2017 14:54:18 +0000, David wrote:

On Sat, 25 Nov 2017 14:43:31 +0000, David wrote:

Anyone spotted any outstanding SSD deals?

120 - 240 Gig preferred.

Decided my 60 Gb SSD is just too small for any OS in 2017 (at least any
Windows OS).

Oh, and any 1TB external USB drives.

Google is throwing up one at Argos for under £50 but my Googling is
often unreliable.

Argh! 2TB drives seem a better deal.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/4994978 Toshiba

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7501351 Maxtor

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5988990 Seagate

All for £69.99 and all USB 3.

Any reason to chose one over another?

Cheers

Dave R

P.S. as the price is not far off a grocery shop or a fill up at the fuel
pumps, am I spending too much time over a £5 saving?

---

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 25/11/2017 15:01, David wrote:
On Sat, 25 Nov 2017 14:54:18 +0000, David wrote:

On Sat, 25 Nov 2017 14:43:31 +0000, David wrote:

Anyone spotted any outstanding SSD deals?

120 - 240 Gig preferred.

Decided my 60 Gb SSD is just too small for any OS in 2017 (at least any
Windows OS).

Oh, and any 1TB external USB drives.

Google is throwing up one at Argos for under £50 but my Googling is
often unreliable.

Argh! 2TB drives seem a better deal.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/4994978 Toshiba

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7501351 Maxtor

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5988990 Seagate

All for £69.99 and all USB 3.

Any reason to chose one over another?

Cheers

Dave R

P.S. as the price is not far off a grocery shop or a fill up at the fuel
pumps, am I spending too much time over a £5 saving?

Maybe :-)

FWIW, I generally start with a combination of Google/Shopping and
Ebuyer. On ebuyer, sort by price.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Nov 2017 15:21:26 +0000, RJH wrote:

[...]

Thanks, but I ditched eBuyer over the way they (don't) handle returns.

Fool me once, shame on you etc.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 25 Nov 2017 14:43:31 GMT
David wrote:

Anyone spotted any outstanding SSD deals?

120 - 240 Gig preferred.

Decided my 60 Gb SSD is just too small for any OS in 2017 (at least
any Windows OS).

My 120GB SSD is half root partition (23% full) and half swap partition
which probably gets used only rarely. :-)

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 25 Nov 2017 14:54:18 GMT
David wrote:

Oh, and any 1TB external USB drives.

Google is throwing up one at Argos for under £50 but my Googling is
often unreliable.

I thought the sweet spot for USB HDD was around 4TB nowadays (although
I've not checked very recently).

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 25/11/17 14:43, David wrote:
Anyone spotted any outstanding SSD deals?

120 - 240 Gig preferred.

Decided my 60 Gb SSD is just too small for any OS in 2017 (at least any
Windows OS).

Perhaps time for the following technologies to make a reappearance?

Microsoft DriveSpace / Doublespace,

Stacker?

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Nov 2017 18:05:36 +0000, Rob Morley wrote:

On 25 Nov 2017 14:54:18 GMT David wrote:

Oh, and any 1TB external USB drives.

Google is throwing up one at Argos for under £50 but my Googling is
often unreliable.

I thought the sweet spot for USB HDD was around 4TB nowadays (although
I've not checked very recently).

There is always a balance between bangs per buck and total bucks.

£69.99 for a 2TB drive I can wear.

Ummm....£109.99 for a 4TB Seagate.............another £40 for another
2TB....are you sure you aren't a double glazing salesman?

Or a divorce lawyer?

This will be for an external drive for a satellite decoder/recorder with a
single tuner i.e. you can't record and watch unless you are on the same
mux. My one has, I think, 500 GB. This is pretty good and only needs the
occasional clear out. I think the Virgin Tivo also has 500 GB, with 3
tuners. 2TB is probably over provision. 4TB will never be used to record
programmes efficiently.

I don't think I have a suitable 2.5" external drive to swap for it, either.

You were supposed to be helping, dammit!!!

Still, that is not bad value if I can find another use.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 25/11/2017 19:00, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 25/11/17 14:43, David wrote:
Anyone spotted any outstanding SSD deals?

120 - 240 Gig preferred.

Decided my 60 Gb SSD is just too small for any OS in 2017 (at least any
Windows OS).

Perhaps time for the following technologies to make a reappearance?

Microsoft DriveSpace / Doublespace,

Stacker?

Disk compression isn't much use nowadays since most large files will be
already compressed almost as much as they can: video files, JPEGS, PDF,
MP3... That just leaves executables, text files (including web pages),
WP and spreadsheet work files...

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 25/11/17 14:43, David wrote:
Anyone spotted any outstanding SSD deals?

120 - 240 Gig preferred.

Decided my 60 Gb SSD is just too small for any OS in 2017 (at least any
Windows OS).

Perhaps time for the following technologies to make a reappearance?

Microsoft DriveSpace / Doublespace,

Stacker?

Disk compression isn't much use nowadays since most large files will be
already compressed almost as much as they can: video files, JPEGS, PDF,
MP3... That just leaves executables, text files (including web pages),
WP and spreadsheet work files...

On win10 you can compress folders if you want to.
Its under properties-advanced.
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 25/11/2017 14:54, David wrote:
On Sat, 25 Nov 2017 14:43:31 +0000, David wrote:

Anyone spotted any outstanding SSD deals?

120 - 240 Gig preferred.

Decided my 60 Gb SSD is just too small for any OS in 2017 (at least any
Windows OS).

Oh, and any 1TB external USB drives.

Google is throwing up one at Argos for under £50 but my Googling is often
unreliable.

Argos are still advertising a lot of stock where they have sold out
and/or only one outlet in the north of Scotland has stock for pick up or
delivery (delivery to the N Scottish store only). Last Sunday a friend
ordered on-line a in-stock items to be delivered to the local store the
next day - Argos staff now have no idea if the items will ever arrive
at the store nearly a week later.

I purchased something from Currys/PC World last Monday (I was given some
vouchers) and was surprised that they didn't push any of the extras when
I stated quite early on that I just wanted the item and nothing else.
However that was the good part of the experience - their point of sales
software/hardware is crap. One machine crashed as my details were
entered. The sales assistant and I moved to a second terminal where the
terminal refused to boot correctly. On the third terminal my details
were entered and then the question was raised about verifying the £50
vouchers. Apparently, previously the staff had to phone to verified
voucher serial numbers for any voucher above £20 but evidently something
has changed and staff can only do this via email now. So twenty minutes
later, after a couple of phone calls by the 3 senior staff members now
serving me they admitted that their verification system was unusable.
They then took the vouchers on 'trust'. I suspect this is indicative of
an organisation about to fail.

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 25/11/17 14:43, David wrote:
Anyone spotted any outstanding SSD deals?

120 - 240 Gig preferred.

Decided my 60 Gb SSD is just too small for any OS in 2017 (at least any
Windows OS).

Perhaps time for the following technologies to make a reappearance?

Microsoft DriveSpace / Doublespace,

Stacker?

Disk compression isn't much use nowadays since most large files will
be already compressed almost as much as they can: video files, JPEGS,
PDF, MP3... That just leaves executables, text files (including web
pages), WP and spreadsheet work files...

On win10 you can compress folders if you want to.
Its under properties-advanced.

Won't gain much space as I have indicated.

--
Max Demian