Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Storing various drain pipes

At the moment I have lots of bits of spare drainage, from soil pipes to
guttering, chucked into a space behind the garage.

However the garage is coming down so I need to relocate them (still some
bits of work to do finishing off the main drainage, then I can get rid of
the remainder).

I have limited unallocated space and the best place to store them seems to
be alongside a wall of the monster shed at the bottom of the garden.

I am now wondering about the best structure.

So far, I have come up with:

Couple of fence posts in metal spikes with batten between them and the
wall. fixed to the wall. Effectively minimal racking.

Loops of rope fixed to the wall so the pipes can be slid into them
(possibly less capacity and ability to sort, but perhaps easier to fix).

Has anyone else built this kind of off-ground storage?

If so, what worked best?

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/11/2017 10:39, David wrote:
[...]

Remember that most of this stuff will sag and acquire a bend over time
using two point support. Soil pipe is stiffer than most, and you can
stack guttering or "sink waste" inside that. I've got spare guttering
stored flat on the ground between a shed and a wall. I keep my spare
pipe on a couple of shelves.

I store some of my timber on a couple of these "in series" so that the
span is a couple of feet, or so

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clar...ted-wood-rack/

Very solidly made, but plastic coated steel so they would eventually
rust outdoors.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 Nov 2017 10:56:22 +0000, newshound wrote:

[...]

Thanks - those are interesting for other uses as well.

I was trying to re-design my shelving and those could work along with my
stock of "spare" wood sheets, mainly OSB.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:
[...]

Gutter brackets are surprisingly strong and cheap.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 Nov 2017 12:13:22 +0000, Bob Minchin wrote:

David wrote:
[...]

Hmmm.....but how much guttering will they hold?

Then again the brackets to hold grey soil pipe against the wall are also
pretty cheap (may even have some in stock) so perhaps I could mount the
big pipes and then just slide the guttering and smaller pipes inside.

Thanks - that might be a plan!

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:
[...]

I can't give an absolute figure but in a past life I stored two lengths
of scaffold tubes per run of brackets screwed on the fence posts at
about 6 foot pitch. So that was possibly 4 brackets per pair of tubes at
21 foot odd long.
We did place them carefully and with out dragging but they stayed there
for several years until I no longer wanted them there.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/11/2017 14:00, Bob Minchin wrote:
David wrote:

I can't give an absolute figure but in a past life I stored two lengths
of scaffold tubes per run of brackets screwed on the fence posts at
about 6 foot pitch. So that was possibly 4 brackets per pair of tubes at
21 foot odd long.
We did place them carefully and with out dragging but they stayed there
for several years until I no longer wanted them there.

Scaffold tubes are not going to acquire a permanent set however long you
leave them even with only two brackets though!

Excluding those bamboo ones used in the far east :-)