Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Flymo VC330 Repair

Replacing belt in VC330 for friend. Stripped it all down - removed motor
assembly.

Problem: I noticed that the base plate assembly "wheel" - which connects to the
motor with the drive belt will not turn easily by hand. I say "wheel" because
it is not just that, it is an assembly with part of it being the drive wheel,
No way to strip down further.

I am not sure what that assembly is - or what is its purpose? It has a patent
number on it - but no more as far as I can see.

My question: what is it - and should the belt drive wheel on it rotate quite
freely.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/17 17:27, mike.jackson wrote:

Replacing belt in VC330 for friend. Stripped it all down - removed motor
assembly.

Problem: I noticed that the base plate assembly "wheel" - which connects to the
motor with the drive belt will not turn easily by hand. I say "wheel" because
it is not just that, it is an assembly with part of it being the drive wheel,
No way to strip down further.

I am not sure what that assembly is - or what is its purpose? It has a patent
number on it - but no more as far as I can see.

My question: what is it - and should the belt drive wheel on it rotate quite
freely.

Pretty clear video here. What is the wheel/bit that is stuck?

How to replace a Flymo belt on a Flymo Turbo Compact 330
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs3y-J6gTdw

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking mike.jackson wrote :
My question: what is it - and should the belt drive wheel on it rotate quite
freely.

Drive pulley! The motor end shaft and pulley should turn quite freely,
unless there is a brake of some sort on it. I would expect there to be
a brake at the blade shaft somewhere.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Adrian Caspersz, Iggy wrote:
Huh, that's quite silly to have to take the whole thing apart. I would've
thought they'd have a separate belt cover and even a tensioning bolt.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...r-1251661-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Nov 2017 17:36:34 +0000, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

On 21/11/17 17:27, mike.jackson wrote:

Replacing belt in VC330 for friend. Stripped it all down - removed motor
assembly.

Problem: I noticed that the base plate assembly "wheel" - which connects to the
motor with the drive belt will not turn easily by hand. I say "wheel" because
it is not just that, it is an assembly with part of it being the drive wheel,
No way to strip down further.

I am not sure what that assembly is - or what is its purpose? It has a patent
number on it - but no more as far as I can see.

My question: what is it - and should the belt drive wheel on it rotate quite
freely.

Pretty clear video here. What is the wheel/bit that is stuck?

How to replace a Flymo belt on a Flymo Turbo Compact 330
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs3y-J6gTdw

Yep - I had watched that video - and decided I can do the repair - that's why
I bought the bits

When I came to do the repair I did not understand what the device was, that the
belt connects to. As I said it is not just a pulley on a spindle - the
spindle passed through a "unit" - like a black box.

I have since concluded that the black box is some sort of magnetic/eddy current
braking mechanism. So I think I have answered my own question.

Cheer

Seeking Flymo in-line plug Lobster UK diy 27 February 17th 16 12:14 PM
Flymo Micro compact 300 drive belt.... [email protected] UK diy 1 May 30th 05 10:50 PM
Which Flymo [email protected] UK diy 41 May 3rd 05 12:14 PM
Are Flymo electric hovers cr*p? Matt UK diy 14 August 12th 03 02:57 PM
Whoever posted the article about someone using a flymo to cut a hedge - please repost it geoff UK diy 4 July 21st 03 04:04 PM