Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacement dimmer switch.

I'm trying to replace the 5 incandescent candle bulbs in a chandelier
with LEDs. The only problem seems to be the dimmer switch. A switch
suitable for LEDs is deeper than the current dimmer and I don't want to
start chiseling the wall for a new back box. Does anyone know of a
switch shallower than this one?

http://tinyurl.com/yal5gdx6

or, alternatively, is there such a thing as a standoff?

Another Dave
--
Change nospam to techie
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 16 Nov 2017 14:29:26 +0000, Another Dave
coalesced the vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful
comprehension...

I'm trying to replace the 5 incandescent candle bulbs in a chandelier
with LEDs. The only problem seems to be the dimmer switch. A switch
suitable for LEDs is deeper than the current dimmer and I don't want to
start chiseling the wall for a new back box. Does anyone know of a
switch shallower than this one?

http://tinyurl.com/yal5gdx6

or, alternatively, is there such a thing as a standoff?

Another Dave

Single gang switch spacer, like this?

http://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/produ...mm-white-plate
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/11/17 14:29, Another Dave wrote:

or, alternatively, is there such a thing as a standoff?

It's OK. The same company does a "spacer" specifically for this purpose.

Another Dave
--
Change nospam to techie
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another Dave wrote:

A switch suitable for LEDs is deeper than the current dimmer and I
don't want to start chiseling the wall for a new back box. or,
alternatively, is there such a thing as a standoff?

The V-Pro are excellent dimmers, I'd be tempted to stick with that and
do what you need to (deepen box, fit a spacer) to make it fit ...

https://screwfix.com/p/spacer/5782j

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Certainly used to be standoffs, I fitted one to the front room for a deeper
dimmer when the old one kept blowing up its triacs due to insufficient
cooling. I took it out some 10 years back when I refitted a normal switch
since dimming a light is a bit pointless when you cannot see if its even on
or off!
It was a square of hard plastic and two extra long metric screws that were
put back in to reach the lugs in the all box.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Another Dave" wrote in message
news
I'm trying to replace the 5 incandescent candle bulbs in a chandelier with
LEDs. The only problem seems to be the dimmer switch. A switch suitable
for LEDs is deeper than the current dimmer and I don't want to start
chiseling the wall for a new back box. Does anyone know of a switch
shallower than this one?

http://tinyurl.com/yal5gdx6

or, alternatively, is there such a thing as a standoff?

Another Dave
--
Change nospam to techie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

One of these will give you 20mm extra depth. I used one recently to run a cable from a socket in surface mounted mini trunking.

Richard

http://www.mkelectric.com/en-gb/Prod.../K2134WHI.aspx
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/11/2017 14:45, Andy Burns wrote:
Another Dave wrote:

A switch suitable for LEDs is deeper than the current dimmer and I
don't want to start chiseling the wall for a new back box. or,
alternatively, is there such a thing as a standoff?

The V-Pro are excellent dimmers,

They are without doubt the best I have ever used for compatibly with LEDs.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Another Dave" wrote in message
news
I'm trying to replace the 5 incandescent candle bulbs in a chandelier with
LEDs. The only problem seems to be the dimmer switch. A switch suitable
for LEDs is deeper than the current dimmer and I don't want to start
chiseling the wall for a new back box. Does anyone know of a switch
shallower than this one?

http://tinyurl.com/yal5gdx6

or, alternatively, is there such a thing as a standoff?

Makes more sense to scrap the chandelier and replace
it with a single Philips Hue bulb in a new fitting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
DICEGEORGE wrote:
I think different LED bulbs have different electronics and therefore
need different dimmers.

I've got some here running on a 25 year old MK dimmer with a total load
below what the dimmer says is minimum (60w). I've no explanation. ;-)

--
*Welcome to **** Creek - sorry, we're out of paddles*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/11/17 21:31, DICEGEORGE wrote:
I think different LED bulbs have different electronics and therefore need different dimmers.
Its not easy.
George

They generally need trailing edge dimmers - same as most CFLs.

As trailing edge works with everything that is dimmable (including
filament) the best idea is to just stick one on.

The only other consideration is some dimmers don't like controlling tiny
loads. As mentioned by someone else here, Varilight Pro dimmers are
excellent (and in fact have 3 modes of driving, selectable, as well as a
user settable minimum level)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/11/17 23:21, Rod Speed wrote:

Makes more sense to scrap the chandelier and replace
it with a single Philips Hue bulb in a new fitting.

You clearly aren't married

Another Dave

--
Change nospam to techie
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 16 November 2017 23:21:33 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"Another Dave" wrote in message
news
I'm trying to replace the 5 incandescent candle bulbs in a chandelier with
LEDs. The only problem seems to be the dimmer switch. A switch suitable
for LEDs is deeper than the current dimmer and I don't want to start
chiseling the wall for a new back box. Does anyone know of a switch
shallower than this one?

http://tinyurl.com/yal5gdx6

or, alternatively, is there such a thing as a standoff?

Makes more sense to scrap the chandelier and replace
it with a single Philips Hue bulb in a new fitting.

Those phillips hues aren't very good for real lighting OK to set a mood but try reading by their light and they are useless.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/11/2017 09:28, Another Dave wrote:
On 16/11/17 23:21, Rod Speed wrote:

Makes more sense to scrap the chandelier and replace
it with a single Philips Hue bulb in a new fitting.

You clearly aren't married

Another Dave

Only to Mrs Palmer and her 5 daughters.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
DICEGEORGE wrote:
I think different LED bulbs have different electronics and therefore
need different dimmers.

I've got some here running on a 25 year old MK dimmer with a total load
below what the dimmer says is minimum (60w). I've no explanation. ;-)

Same with some of the new Scolmore stuff. Although it will not dim 100%.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
In article ,
DICEGEORGE wrote:
I think different LED bulbs have different electronics and therefore
need different dimmers.

I've got some here running on a 25 year old MK dimmer with a total load
below what the dimmer says is minimum (60w). I've no explanation. ;-)

Same with some of the new Scolmore stuff. Although it will not dim 100%.

I've fitted LEDs for the interior lights in the old car. Mainly because
the original tungsten were so dim as to be near useless - 5w tubular. And
larger tungsten melted the fittings. ;-) A couple of 1w star LEDS in each
one gives plenty light.

So decided it would be good to have then fade in and out - rather than
just switch. Fading them out isn't a problem, but fading up is. They seem
to need to 'trigger' before fading up, so jump to about half brightness
then fade up the rest. Must investigate PWM drive.

--
*Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker? *