Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default Silver foil

On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 19:55:32 -0000, Tekkie® wrote:

James Wilkinson Sword posted for all of us...

On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 21:40:22 -0000, Tekkie® wrote:

James Wilkinson Sword posted for all of us...

Was silver foil ever made of silver, or does it just refer to the
colour?

aluminum foil?

Aluminium.

Not proper spelling in the good old USA!!!

The lazy old USA.* Can't be ****ed with that extra syllable, not nohow!

They need to save their breath for words like 'elevator' and 'apartment'
rather than simply saying 'lift' and 'flat'.
--
Gordon Davie
Edinburgh, Scotland
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Apartment and flat are both wrong.* They aren't apart, and they aren't
flat.

"Lift" and "elevator" are equally misleading...the device in question
goes down as well as up....

I didn't get any points in my French class at school when I was asked to
translate, "une apartemente" into English.* I wrote "an apartment" to
which my (American) French teacher said, "No, that's an American word,
in English please!" which amused me greatly.

"Oh, in that case: 'a hapartment'"....r

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 17 November 2017 00:27:59 UTC, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Wed, 15 Nov 2017 22:57:33 -0000, GordonD wrote:

Apartment and flat are both wrong. They aren't apart, and they aren't flat.

Flat is OK because it's a description of an area you own or rent in a block.
It's flat it means you don't have the right or ownership of the units above or below you, so on one level i.e flat.

Flat :- having a level surface; without raised areas or indentations.

If you have a flat on two floors it is more correctly describe as a maisonette but some use this term if the front door is on a differnet floor to your dwelling.

as for apartment I'd prefer compartment but american have condos too.

I didn't get any points in my French class at school when I was asked to translate, "une apartemente" into English.

I thought it was un not une.

I wrote "an apartment" to which my (American) French teacher said, "No, that's an American word, in English please!" which amused me greatly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apartment

An apartment (American English), flat (British English) or unit (Australian English) is a self-contained housing unit (a type of residential real estate) that occupies only part of a building, generally on a single level.
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default ****** Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL), the Sociopathic Attention Whore

On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 00:27:54 -0000, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

They need to save their breath for words like 'elevator' and 'apartment'
rather than simply saying 'lift' and 'flat'.

Apartment and flat are both wrong. They aren't apart, and they aren't
flat.

What an idiot.

I didn't get any points in my French class at school when I was asked to
translate, "une apartemente" into English.

Nobody ever asked you that because there is no word like that, you lying
prick!

--
More of Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) sociopathic "wisdom":
"If you're going somewhere, it must be somewhere you need or want to go."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
whisky-dave writes

If you have a flat on two floors it is more correctly describe as a
maisonette but some use this term if the front door is on a differnet
floor to your dwelling.

My understanding, which could well be incorrect, is that a maisonette
has an exit door direct to the street, or at least outside, rather than
to a common entrance.

I lived in a maisonette some years ago. From the outside, each block of
four looked like a pair of ordinary semi detached houses. The two front
doors were access to the upper floor maisonettes, via a staircase. Side
doors were access to the ground floor maisonettes. The lower pair
therefore had their 'front door' (at the side) on the same level as
their living accommodation.
--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 12:42:47 +0000, Graeme wrote:

In message ,
whisky-dave writes

If you have a flat on two floors it is more correctly describe as a
maisonette but some use this term if the front door is on a differnet
floor to your dwelling.

My understanding, which could well be incorrect, is that a maisonette
has an exit door direct to the street, or at least outside, rather than
to a common entrance.

I lived in a maisonette some years ago. From the outside, each block of
four looked like a pair of ordinary semi detached houses. The two front
doors were access to the upper floor maisonettes, via a staircase. Side
doors were access to the ground floor maisonettes. The lower pair
therefore had their 'front door' (at the side) on the same level as
their living accommodation.

Indeed. If I turn round and look out of the window, right across the road
are a matched set (two up, two down).

Silver foil GordonD Home Repair 2 November 17th 17 11:09 AM
silver foil backed plasterboard and wireless devices Fergus McMenemie[_2_] UK diy 9 November 8th 09 09:17 PM
Anyone tryed prodex foil-foam-foil insulation? [email protected] Home Ownership 3 April 23rd 07 02:42 AM
Is this foil/foam/foil insulation good? [email protected] Home Repair 7 February 25th 06 12:17 AM
silver solder for silver "plating"? jtaylor Metalworking 5 June 7th 05 08:19 PM