Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fire Alarms Advice please

Advice please - I need to wire in fire alarms, large house.
This time i'm not going to go for the cheapest on ebay, as we have open fires, burners, and drunk guests who like candles.

But screwfix want £80 each form mains/battery ones!
https://www.screwfix.com/c/security-...age_sta rt=20

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Smoke_Detectors

[george]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 3 November 2017 14:44:15 UTC, DICEGEORGE wrote:
Advice please - I need to wire in fire alarms, large house.
This time i'm not going to go for the cheapest on ebay, as we have
open fires, burners, and drunk guests who like candles.
But screwfix want £80 each form mains/battery ones!

The £80 is a wireless interlink one.

Aico EI 141RC Ionisation with alkaline battery backup are £15 on Amazon, £18 on Toolstation, and the Aico range is comprehensive enough you can get relay bases, wireless interlink bases, remote test/hush switches, heat and CO alarms, etc.

The ones with 10-year Lithium battery backup are more expensive.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
DICEGEORGE wrote:
Advice please - I need to wire in fire alarms, large house. This time
i'm not going to go for the cheapest on ebay, as we have open fires,
burners, and drunk guests who like candles.

The principle is similar to a burglar alarm, and many of those have
provision for heat/smoke detectors too. Or you could use the panel just
for a fire alarm.

Since they are made in big quantities, likely to be better value than a
dedicated fire alarm in a nice red box.

Of course I'm sure to get the very best protection it would all have to be
pro installed and maintained. After all, you never get false alarms when
that's done.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 Nov 2017 07:44:12 -0700, DICEGEORGE wrote:

Advice please - I need to wire in fire alarms, large house.
This time i'm not going to go for the cheapest on ebay, as we have open
fires, burners, and drunk guests who like candles.

But screwfix want £80 each form mains/battery ones!
https://www.screwfix.com/c/security-.../smoke-alarms/

cat810274#category=cat810274&page_size=20&page_sta rt=20

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Smoke_Detectors

I've been very happy with out Firex ones. First bought about 13 years
ago, replaced three years ago. You can get mounting plates, which makes
changing them a doddle. Mine are mains/battery, prices depending on type
but average about £20. We have six (assorted) in the house.

One place to go (never used them, think I used CPC) is:

http://www.fireprotectiononline.co.u...x-smoke-alarms

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 3 November 2017 15:48:27 UTC, Bob Eager wrote:
I've been very happy with out Firex ones.

Kidde Firex have the advantage of being interconnectable up to 24, whereas Aico EI only go up to 12.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/11/2017 14:44, DICEGEORGE wrote:
Advice please - I need to wire in fire alarms, large house.
This time i'm not going to go for the cheapest on ebay, as we have open fires, burners, and drunk guests who like candles.

I think that you should be looking up the price of fire extinguishers:-)

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/11/2017 07:22, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , ARW
wrote:

On 03/11/2017 14:44, DICEGEORGE wrote:
Advice please - I need to wire in fire alarms, large house.
This time i'm not going to go for the cheapest on ebay, as we have open
fires, burners, and drunk guests who like candles.

How about *not* having drunk guests who like candles?

Because the 21st of December 2017 is not the same without them.

--
Adam