Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Galvanised nail with which sheet metal?

I want to use a galvanised nail outside with a small piece of sheet
metal. Would it be better to use galvanised sheet steel or aluminium?

The nails will be used to secure plastic verges on the edge of a roof.
Using a piece of metal will I hope reduce the chance of the verges
breaking off in strong winds.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/11/2017 14:07, Michael Chare wrote:
I want to use a galvanised nail outside with a small piece of sheet
metal. Would it be better to use galvanised sheet steel or aluminium?

The nails will be used to secure plastic verges on the edge of a roof.
Using a piece of metal will I hope reduce the chance of the verges
breaking off in strong winds.

Aluminium and zinc are close in galvanic potential so shouldn't be any
real risk of galvanic corrosion. I'd use whichever sheet metal you have
that is most convenient.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
news
I want to use a galvanised nail outside with a small piece of sheet metal.
Would it be better to use galvanised sheet steel or aluminium?

The nails will be used to secure plastic verges on the edge of a roof.
Using a piece of metal will I hope reduce the chance of the verges
breaking off in strong winds.

Aluminium will work better unless you are in a
heavily salt laden situation, like close to the sea.

And there arent just galvanised nails available.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/11/2017 16:10, Rod Speed wrote:

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
news
I want to use a galvanised nail outside with a small piece of sheet
metal. Would it be better to use galvanised sheet steel or aluminium?

The nails will be used to secure plastic verges on the edge of a roof.
Using a piece of metal will I hope reduce the chance of the verges
breaking off in strong winds.

Aluminium will work better unless you are in a
heavily salt laden situation, like close to the sea.

And there arent just galvanised nails available.

Readily available over here, in fact. Proper hot dipped too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 02/11/2017 16:10, Rod Speed wrote:

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
news
I want to use a galvanised nail outside with a small piece of sheet
metal. Would it be better to use galvanised sheet steel or aluminium?

The nails will be used to secure plastic verges on the edge of a roof.
Using a piece of metal will I hope reduce the chance of the verges
breaking off in strong winds.

Aluminium will work better unless you are in a
heavily salt laden situation, like close to the sea.

And there arent just galvanised nails available.

Readily available over here, in fact. Proper hot dipped too.

Sure, but so are the alternatives too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/11/2017 17:13, Rod Speed wrote:

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 02/11/2017 16:10, Rod Speed wrote:

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
news I want to use a galvanised nail outside with a small piece of sheet
metal. Would it be better to use galvanised sheet steel or aluminium?

The nails will be used to secure plastic verges on the edge of a
roof. Using a piece of metal will I hope reduce the chance of the
verges breaking off in strong winds.

Aluminium will work better unless you are in a
heavily salt laden situation, like close to the sea.

And there arent just galvanised nails available.

Readily available over here, in fact. Proper hot dipped too.

Sure, but so are the alternatives too.

So what's the alternative to clout nails for roofing felt?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 02/11/2017 17:13, Rod Speed wrote:

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 02/11/2017 16:10, Rod Speed wrote:

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
news I want to use a galvanised nail outside with a small piece of sheet
metal. Would it be better to use galvanised sheet steel or aluminium?

The nails will be used to secure plastic verges on the edge of a roof.
Using a piece of metal will I hope reduce the chance of the verges
breaking off in strong winds.

Aluminium will work better unless you are in a
heavily salt laden situation, like close to the sea.

And there arent just galvanised nails available.

Readily available over here, in fact. Proper hot dipped too.

Sure, but so are the alternatives too.

So what's the alternative to clout nails for roofing felt?

Not stupid enough to use roofing felt.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/11/2017 17:41, Rod Speed wrote:

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 02/11/2017 17:13, Rod Speed wrote:

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 02/11/2017 16:10, Rod Speed wrote:

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
news I want to use a galvanised nail outside with a small piece of
sheet metal. Would it be better to use galvanised sheet steel or
aluminium?

The nails will be used to secure plastic verges on the edge of a
roof. Using a piece of metal will I hope reduce the chance of the
verges breaking off in strong winds.

Aluminium will work better unless you are in a
heavily salt laden situation, like close to the sea.

And there arent just galvanised nails available.

Readily available over here, in fact. Proper hot dipped too.

Sure, but so are the alternatives too.

So what's the alternative to clout nails for roofing felt?

Not stupid enough to use roofing felt.

Over here, it doesn't work too badly for sheds if done with decent
materials. And this *is* a UK group.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
Readily available over here, in fact. Proper hot dipped too.

Sure, but so are the alternatives too.

So what's the alternative to clout nails for roofing felt?

Copper nails? Rather more expensive, though.

--
*Can fat people go skinny-dipping?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
On 02/11/2017 17:41, Rod Speed wrote:

Not stupid enough to use roofing felt.

Over here, it doesn't work too badly for sheds if done with decent
materials. And this *is* a UK group.

And youre replying to a well known troll. So whos stupid?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 02/11/2017 17:41, Rod Speed wrote:

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 02/11/2017 17:13, Rod Speed wrote:

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 02/11/2017 16:10, Rod Speed wrote:

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
news I want to use a galvanised nail outside with a small piece of sheet
metal. Would it be better to use galvanised sheet steel or
aluminium?

The nails will be used to secure plastic verges on the edge of a
roof. Using a piece of metal will I hope reduce the chance of the
verges breaking off in strong winds.

Aluminium will work better unless you are in a
heavily salt laden situation, like close to the sea.

And there arent just galvanised nails available.

Readily available over here, in fact. Proper hot dipped too.

Sure, but so are the alternatives too.

So what's the alternative to clout nails for roofing felt?

Not stupid enough to use roofing felt.

Over here, it doesn't work too badly for sheds if done with decent
materials.

Hopeless life wise.