Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

Default which LED bulb for old-fashioned inspection lamp?

Hi All
I have one of those old-fashioned 240V inspection lamps - a variation on those
hand-held things with a handle, wire frame and glass surround. A bit like:

https://dccf75d8gej24.cloudfront.net...7E29C-huge.jpg

I would like to put an LED bulb in it - as bright as possible. Most of the
standard Globe LED bulbs I have seen have the plastic base going farther up
the side of the globe that with an incandescent bulb, and for such an inspection
lamp I want the sideways beam to be as even as possible.

I presume the 'filament' style bulbs would be a non-starter in such an
application. Any suggestions as to the best style or model to fit?

Thanks,
Jon N
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/10/2017 10:27, jkn wrote:
Hi All
I have one of those old-fashioned 240V inspection lamps - a variation on those
hand-held things with a handle, wire frame and glass surround. A bit like:

https://dccf75d8gej24.cloudfront.net...7E29C-huge.jpg

I would like to put an LED bulb in it - as bright as possible. Most of the
standard Globe LED bulbs I have seen have the plastic base going farther up
the side of the globe that with an incandescent bulb, and for such an inspection
lamp I want the sideways beam to be as even as possible.

I presume the 'filament' style bulbs would be a non-starter in such an
application. Any suggestions as to the best style or model to fit?

Since it will be inside a metal cage and with your stated requirements
for plenty of uniform sideways light I would go for a cheap and nasty
corn on the cob type at the highest wattage you can find. No diffuser.
eg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/E27-18-72-S...dp/B06XCZBBRX/

You may need a diffuser or shield to make it bareable to be near.
Mine has a metal plat to obscure the lamp on one side of the cage.

Big advantage is that after long periods of use it will barely have the
chill off and will survive drops better than a fragile filament bulb
(but if you drop it far enough or into water all bets are off).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/10/17 10:27, jkn wrote:
Hi All
I have one of those old-fashioned 240V inspection lamps - a variation on those
hand-held things with a handle, wire frame and glass surround. A bit like:

https://dccf75d8gej24.cloudfront.net...7E29C-huge.jpg

I would like to put an LED bulb in it - as bright as possible. Most of the
standard Globe LED bulbs I have seen have the plastic base going farther up
the side of the globe that with an incandescent bulb, and for such an inspection
lamp I want the sideways beam to be as even as possible.

I presume the 'filament' style bulbs would be a non-starter in such an
application. Any suggestions as to the best style or model to fit?

Thanks,
Jon N

I think what you want is a high powered 'corncob' bulb BUT these dont
come easily in bayonet, so a complete new lamp assembly may in the end
be cheaper

Also battery powerd lamps are possible thase days with decent battery
life and are often handier than haing a lead trailing

let them."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
jkn wrote:
Hi All I have one of those old-fashioned 240V inspection lamps - a
variation on those hand-held things with a handle, wire frame and glass
surround. A bit like:

https://dccf75d8gej24.cloudfront.net...7E29C-huge.jpg

I would like to put an LED bulb in it - as bright as possible. Most of
the standard Globe LED bulbs I have seen have the plastic base going
farther up the side of the globe that with an incandescent bulb, and for
such an inspection lamp I want the sideways beam to be as even as
possible.

I presume the 'filament' style bulbs would be a non-starter in such an
application. Any suggestions as to the best style or model to fit?

Thanks, Jon N

Not thought of getting a re-chargeable LED one? Much safer than mains, and
no trailing cable. Decent ones run a very long time on a charge.

BTW, even with a cabled inspection lamp, a low voltage one makes sense, as
the bulbs are more robust. Even rough service mains ones didn't last that
long here.

--
*Dancing is a perpendicular expression of a horizontal desire *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jkn wrote:

I presume the 'filament' style bulbs would be a non-starter in such an
application. Any suggestions as to the best style or model to fit?

Overheating of LEDs in a fully enclosed lamp could be an issue, is
strobing of moving parts being inspected likely to be an issue?

A "filament" style LED would give plenty of illumination to the side,
but I'm not sure how well they'd stand up to the rough and tumble of an
inspection lamp ... maybe the corn-cob type, or just stick with rough
service GLS?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
jkn wrote:
Hi All I have one of those old-fashioned 240V inspection lamps - a
variation on those hand-held things with a handle, wire frame and glass
surround. A bit like:

https://dccf75d8gej24.cloudfront.net...7E29C-huge.jpg

I would like to put an LED bulb in it - as bright as possible. Most of
the standard Globe LED bulbs I have seen have the plastic base going
farther up the side of the globe that with an incandescent bulb, and for
such an inspection lamp I want the sideways beam to be as even as
possible.

I presume the 'filament' style bulbs would be a non-starter in such an
application. Any suggestions as to the best style or model to fit?

Thanks, Jon N

Not thought of getting a re-chargeable LED one? Much safer than mains, and
no trailing cable. Decent ones run a very long time on a charge.

Even the 5W cheapo one from Aldi/Lidl with a magnet on the back can
serve as a useful source of good light in a tight spot.

BTW, even with a cabled inspection lamp, a low voltage one makes sense, as
the bulbs are more robust. Even rough service mains ones didn't last that
long here.

Especially not when dropped.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On Friday, October 27, 2017 at 11:38:25 AM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
jkn wrote:

I presume the 'filament' style bulbs would be a non-starter in such an
application. Any suggestions as to the best style or model to fit?

Overheating of LEDs in a fully enclosed lamp could be an issue, is
strobing of moving parts being inspected likely to be an issue?

A "filament" style LED would give plenty of illumination to the side,
but I'm not sure how well they'd stand up to the rough and tumble of an
inspection lamp ... maybe the corn-cob type, or just stick with rough
service GLS?

Thanks for all the points here. I had forgotten about the corn cob lamps, which
would be good except that as said they seem to be difficult to get in BC.

I should say that I am not using this for actual 'inspection', but for
general illumination of the loft whilst some plumbing work is going on.
I have some small fluorescents already up there but thought of hanging this
up high for general illumination.

I do have a cheap Aldi/Lidl rechargable LED inspection lamp from a few years
ago, but I expect technology has come on a long way since that. This may be
usable for the close part of the (plumbing) work however.

I may just put the biggest CFL stick light I can find in there (or stay with
a service GLS) for this job, and see how well that provides general illumination

Thanks, Jon N
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/10/2017 10:27, jkn wrote:
I presume the 'filament' style bulbs would be a non-starter in such an
application. Any suggestions as to the best style or model to fit?

A 'filament' style bulb might not be ideal but it should be considerably
more robust than the thin white hot filament of a tungsten bulb.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jkn wrote:

I presume the 'filament' style bulbs would be a non-starter in such an
application. Any suggestions as to the best style or model to fit?

Overheating of LEDs in a fully enclosed lamp could be an issue, is
strobing of moving parts being inspected likely to be an issue?

A "filament" style LED would give plenty of illumination to the side,
but I'm not sure how well they'd stand up to the rough and tumble of an
inspection lamp ... maybe the corn-cob type, or just stick with rough
service GLS?

Thanks for all the points here. I had forgotten about the corn cob lamps, which
would be good except that as said they seem to be difficult to get in BC.

Search eBay for B22 15W (or other popular high value) avoid the ones
coming from China unless you can afford to wait. I'd be prepared to use
them in something with an earthed cage around it. I'm a bit wary of how
well made some of the cheapo Chinese corn cob LEDs are.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jkn has brought this to us :
I would like to put an LED bulb in it - as bright as possible. Most of the
standard Globe LED bulbs I have seen have the plastic base going farther up
the side of the globe that with an incandescent bulb, and for such an
inspection
lamp I want the sideways beam to be as even as possible.

A 'corn cob' LED is what you need, but be wary of too high a wattage -
LED's will not like heat build up in an unventilated lamp unit.

'Corn cob' LED's are rather like a corn on the cob which you would eat.
LED's around 360 deg of the sides and more on the end face.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/10/2017 13:09, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
jkn has brought this to us :
I would like to put an LED bulb in it - as bright as possible. Most of
the
standard Globe LED bulbs I have seen have the plastic base going
farther up
the side of the globe that with an incandescent bulb, and for such an
inspection
lamp I want the sideways beam to be as even as possible.

A 'corn cob' LED is what you need, but be wary of too high a wattage -
LED's will not like heat build up in an unventilated lamp unit.

Mine is the old metal wire cage style. No build up of heat at all.
It used to be insanely mad hot with a 100W bulb in it though.

'Corn cob' LED's are rather like a corn on the cob which you would eat.
LED's around 360 deg of the sides and more on the end face.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/10/2017 10:27, jkn wrote:
Hi All
I have one of those old-fashioned 240V inspection lamps - a variation on those
hand-held things with a handle, wire frame and glass surround. A bit like:

https://dccf75d8gej24.cloudfront.net...7E29C-huge.jpg

I would like to put an LED bulb in it - as bright as possible. Most of the
standard Globe LED bulbs I have seen have the plastic base going farther up
the side of the globe that with an incandescent bulb, and for such an inspection
lamp I want the sideways beam to be as even as possible.

I presume the 'filament' style bulbs would be a non-starter in such an
application. Any suggestions as to the best style or model to fit?

I would have thought the filament style would be ideal in this case. LED
hut do a frosted one as well if you want with the same radiation pattern
as a normal GLS lamp.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jkn wrote:

[...]

Why not install a traditional fluro tube as a permanent addition the
loft? It will come in useful year after year then. Also much easier to
pop your head through the hatch and flip a switch, than tit about with
portable lamps on wires etc.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

jkn wrote:

[...]

Hi John
Actually, as mentioned in my followup post I do have a couple of florrys in there ... however I mounted them a bit low down (ease of installation) and although useful they do not illuminate the whole area sufficiently. I would
prefer to move/improve those in truth, it's a round tuit issue...

Cheers
J^n
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jkn" wrote in message
Hi All
I have one of those old-fashioned 240V inspection lamps - a variation
on those
hand-held things with a handle, wire frame and glass surround. A bit like:

https://dccf75d8gej24.cloudfront.net...7E29C-huge.jpg

I would like to put an LED bulb in it - as bright as possible. Most of the
standard Globe LED bulbs I have seen have the plastic base going farther
up
the side of the globe that with an incandescent bulb, and for such an
inspection
lamp I want the sideways beam to be as even as possible.

Instead of trying to find a led bulb that will work well in one of
those, it makes a lot more sense to replace the whole thing with
an inspection/work lamp which is designed for leds in the first
place and which uses a battery pack so you dont have to fart
around with the long lead all the time and only when you need
to have it mains powered when you are doing a job all day in
the attic which has no lights etc.

My Dewalt cordless tool set has one of the tools an inspection/work
light. Leaves those old mains powered inspection/work lights for dead.