Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Garden Shed Roof

Our shed has a single layer of felt on its sloped roof nailed in place
with battens nailed over along the edges. The shed is free-standing.

It has now developed a leak.

My plan is to recover it with new felt - preferably two layers (or more
- as many as I can get out of the role).

I may be missing a trick, but I cannot see any roofing felt on
Screwfix's website. All I see are underlay felt. Is that the same thing?

Alternatively, corrugated plastic sheets seem to be pretty cheap, so it
got me thinking...
What would using those instead involve? I see that I will need screws
(as in
https://www.screwfix.com/p/vistalux-...200-pack/78225
or similar). But, what would stop the water from running down the
underside of the sheet though? Would I need one of these as well?
https://www.screwfix.com/p/coroline-...-24-pack/7749j

TIA.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/2017 20:05, JoeJoe wrote:

I may be missing a trick, but I cannot see any roofing felt on

Screwfix's website. All I see are underlay felt. Is that the same thing?

Buy from a roofing supplier.

https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/...AsPN EALw_wcB

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/2017 20:05, JoeJoe wrote:
Our shed has a single layer of felt on its sloped roof nailed in place
with battens nailed over along the edges. The shed is free-standing.

It has now developed a leak.

My plan is to recover it with new felt - preferably two layers (or more
- as many as I can get out of the role).

I may be missing a trick, but I cannot see any roofing felt on
Screwfix's website. All I see are underlay felt. Is that the same thing?

Alternatively, corrugated plastic sheets seem to be pretty cheap, so it
got me thinking...
What would using those instead involve?Â* I see that I will need screws
(as in
https://www.screwfix.com/p/vistalux-...200-pack/78225
Â*or similar). But, what would stop the water from running down the
underside of the sheet though?Â* Would I need one of these as well?
https://www.screwfix.com/p/coroline-...-24-pack/7749j

TIA.

I would use felt, a couple of layers, using 'lap cement' (a rubber like
glue) to bond the layers together. Be generous with the cement. I did a
couple of dormers like this in our previous house over 20 years back. As
far as I can see the front one at least is still in place.

are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , JoeJoe
writes
Our shed has a single layer of felt on its sloped roof nailed in place
with battens nailed over along the edges. The shed is free-standing.

It has now developed a leak.

Often recommended here, what I used was Onduline corrugated sheet. I
think cost-effectiveness depends on how the length of the sheets matches
the width of the roof. On mine each single sheet matched the roof pretty
well, so there was hardly any wastage.

The apex of the roof can be covered with the special capping pieces.

I used stainless screws and plastic washers through the tops of the
corrugations, not the nails suggested in the literature.

No messy black gunge needed, easily done on my own, and it is lasting
very well.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

If you eBay "steel roof cladding" you may be surprised how cheap the
plastic coated or galvanised stuff is. For a single pitch felted roof
that might be the simplest way to do something which will out-live any
standard shed. With the type which is basically flat with little ridges,
you could just glue it down using mastic straight on top of the existing
felt. I'd put a few screws with penny washers along the edges to prevent
wind lifting. You can put these in the valleys as long as there is a
good splodge of mastic between the sheet and the felt, it won't leak then.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/2017 23:02, Bill wrote:
In message , JoeJoe
writes
Our shed has a single layer of felt on its sloped roof nailed in place
with battens nailed over along the edges. The shed is free-standing.

It has now developed a leak.

Often recommended here, what I used was Onduline corrugated sheet. I
think cost-effectiveness depends on how the length of the sheets matches
the width of the roof. On mine each single sheet matched the roof pretty
well, so there was hardly any wastage.

The apex of the roof can be covered with the special capping pieces.

Thanks for the tip - looks good.

Problem is that my roof is sloped, not pitched. How would I stop water
from running down the underside of the sheet from the higher end of the
roof?

I used stainless screws and plastic washers through the tops of the
corrugations, not the nails suggested in the literature.

No messy black gunge needed, easily done on my own, and it is lasting
very well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , JoeJoe
writes
Problem is that my roof is sloped, not pitched. How would I stop water
from running down the underside of the sheet from the higher end of the
roof?

I'm not sure, but I would have thought that either the ridge or the
verge shapes would have worked OK just with the free side hanging over
the edge.
My sheet edges just hang over the edge of the existing roof by about 3"
and have survived fine, so I don't think the unsupported edges would
come to much harm in high wind.

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/2017 23:54, JoeJoe wrote:
On 22/10/2017 23:02, Bill wrote:
In message , JoeJoe
writes
Our shed has a single layer of felt on its sloped roof nailed in
place with battens nailed over along the edges. The shed is
free-standing.

It has now developed a leak.

Often recommended here, what I used was Onduline corrugated sheet. I
think cost-effectiveness depends on how the length of the sheets
matches the width of the roof. On mine each single sheet matched the
roof pretty well, so there was hardly any wastage.

The apex of the roof can be covered with the special capping pieces.

Thanks for the tip - looks good.

Problem is that my roof is sloped, not pitched. How would I stop water
from running down the underside of the sheet from the higher end of the
roof?

Much the same way - with a capping that protects the edge and allow
water to drip off the top. kind of like you are creating a mini ridge.

(alternatively you could flash right over and onto the wall at the top)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

And use galvanised nails.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
On 22/10/2017 20:05, JoeJoe wrote:

I may be missing a trick, but I cannot see any roofing felt on

Screwfix's website. All I see are underlay felt. Is that the same thing?

Buy from a roofing supplier.

https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/...AsPN EALw_wcB

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22-Oct-17 11:54 PM, JoeJoe wrote:
On 22/10/2017 23:02, Bill wrote:
In message , JoeJoe
writes
Our shed has a single layer of felt on its sloped roof nailed in
place with battens nailed over along the edges. The shed is
free-standing.

It has now developed a leak.

Often recommended here, what I used was Onduline corrugated sheet. I
think cost-effectiveness depends on how the length of the sheets
matches the width of the roof. On mine each single sheet matched the
roof pretty well, so there was hardly any wastage.

The apex of the roof can be covered with the special capping pieces.

Thanks for the tip - looks good.

Problem is that my roof is sloped, not pitched. How would I stop water
from running down the underside of the sheet from the higher end of the
roof?

Most standard roofing sheets have a wall flashing available to match
their profile.

BTW, if you are laying onto a solid roof, check that the sheeting you
are using is suitable for that application. Some specifically state that
they should not be used on a solid base.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

Do not use corrugated plastic sheets. Worst thing since non sliced bread.

Non sliced bread is the best there is.

Even the frogs managed to work that out.

Go brittle and crack then torn off by wind.

"JoeJoe" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote :
I'm not sure, but I would have thought that either the ridge or the verge
shapes would have worked OK just with the free side hanging over the edge.
My sheet edges just hang over the edge of the existing roof by about 3" and
have survived fine, so I don't think the unsupported edges would come to much
harm in high wind.

I agree. I used the metal sheet on my garage with a 6" over hang at the
front and it faces into the weather, with a down slope to the rear. I
have never had any issues with water running along the underside of the
sheets, or the sheets being caught by the wind. I did make a point of
adding plenty of fixings along the leading edge though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
[...]

Here in Australia we have trouble working out some of these problems you
lot have, it must be the weather, We almost never use felt almost all
small pre made garden sheds are metal, with metal roof, timber and
cladding sheds would have coated or galvanized roofing expensive ones
may have tiles.
Flat roofing is extremely rare to have felt they have butyl something
sometimes
My shed it 10.5 metres x7.5 metresmetal frame metal cladding metal roof,
something like these, smaller sheds are also built in the same manner.
http://www.fairdinkumsheds.com.au/

There are also tinny prepack garden sheds.

https://tinyurl.com/y9mcqtkp

Posted to uk.d-i-y

FMurtz wrote:

Here in Australia we have trouble working out some of these problems you
lot have, it must be the weather

Since 'your' Bunnings bought 'our' Homebase they seem to import/rebadge
ABSco metal sheds, someone here complained about how flimsy theirs was.
Don't metal sheds have problems with condensation?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, October 22, 2017 at 8:05:10 PM UTC+1, JoeJoe wrote:
Our shed has a single layer of felt on its sloped roof nailed in place
with battens nailed over along the edges. The shed is free-standing.

It has now developed a leak.

My plan is to recover it with new felt - preferably two layers (or more
- as many as I can get out of the role).

I may be missing a trick, but I cannot see any roofing felt on
Screwfix's website. All I see are underlay felt. Is that the same thing?

Last time I looked Homebase were the cheapest for bog standard felt. Keep it simple I reckon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 Oct 2017 23:02:00 +0100, Bill wrote:

Often recommended here, what I used was Onduline corrugated sheet.

Did our shed with the small corrogations "Onduline" a while back
having got fed up with felt only lasting 5 years or so.

I think cost-effectiveness depends on how the length of the sheets
matches the width of the roof.

Width? That to me is left to right not up and down the sheets go on
up and down... Even with cutting 2' or so off each sheet it's still
worth while IMHO. I don't expect to have to do it again so saving the
time and cost of replaceing the felt again... I also have uses for
those offcuts, old galvanised tank cover and something to go over the
genset when it's earning it's crust outside in the weather (which is
likely to be bad if it's running)...

I used stainless screws and plastic washers through the tops of the
corrugations, not the nails suggested in the literature.

I used the nails. Did it about 2 years ago, looks like it as done
yesterday and survived Ophelia (we had gusts into the 60's mph and
sustained windspeeds of over 50 mph).

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 Oct 2017 20:05:06 +0100, JoeJoe wrote:

I may be missing a trick, but I cannot see any roofing felt on
Screwfix's website. All I see are underlay felt. Is that the same thing?

You'd want a felt that has crushed slate on the top, or some other UV
protection. Underlay felt may not have UV protection.

Onduline is ok and very cheap, and will last 10 years if you don't step on it
when it's cold and stiff. Metal panels can be loud when rain falls on it.

I'd put Onduline or metal panels over the existing layer of felt...

I have heard on usenet that pond liner makes a reasonably priced roof, and comes
in sizes that make one seamless piece feasible even for large sheds. The people
suggesting this say no UV protection needed, other disagree.

Thomas Prufer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/2017 23:02, Bill wrote:

Often recommended here, what I used was Onduline corrugated sheet. I
think cost-effectiveness depends on how the length of the sheets matches
the width of the roof. On mine each single sheet matched the roof pretty
well, so there was hardly any wastage.

I did a roof with that stuff and it's been fine. It was an easy job as well.

The B & Q stuff is thinner than some others. Don't use it.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:

The B & Q stuff is thinner than some others. Don't use it.

Coroline is thinner than onduline, but there's not much in it (2.6mm vs
3.0mm)

That said, I did intend to use onduline, and ordered some online because
I could only find coroline in wickes and B&Q, only to discover after
cutting it to length that what had been supplied *was* coroline (I got a
refund for the difference) it's been fine for over 5 years, one pressure
washing to remove algae that gathers on it because it's under a tree.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/2017 23:02, Bill wrote:
In message , JoeJoe
writes
Our shed has a single layer of felt on its sloped roof nailed in place
with battens nailed over along the edges. The shed is free-standing.

It has now developed a leak.

Often recommended here, what I used was Onduline corrugated sheet. I
think cost-effectiveness depends on how the length of the sheets matches
the width of the roof. On mine each single sheet matched the roof pretty
well, so there was hardly any wastage.

Unfortunately my roof is 2.1m long (top to bottom, slopped roof), and
the sheets come in 2m, so going to be a messy job...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2017 14:26, JoeJoe wrote:
On 22/10/2017 23:02, Bill wrote:
In message , JoeJoe
writes
Our shed has a single layer of felt on its sloped roof nailed in
place with battens nailed over along the edges. The shed is
free-standing.

It has now developed a leak.

Often recommended here, what I used was Onduline corrugated sheet. I
think cost-effectiveness depends on how the length of the sheets
matches the width of the roof. On mine each single sheet matched the
roof pretty well, so there was hardly any wastage.

Unfortunately my roof is 2.1m long (top to bottom, slopped roof), and
the sheets come in 2m, so going to be a messy job...

I had a similar problem. I can't remember just how I did it but by
making each run of 4.2m from three pieces I was able to use almost all
the sheeting. I don't think the three pieces were equal. I'll have a
look in a bit.
I do think it's a good idea to allow a lot of overlap by the way,
especially if the slope is slight.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Burns
writes
FMurtz wrote:

Here in Australia we have trouble working out some of these problems you
lot have, it must be the weather

Since 'your' Bunnings bought 'our' Homebase they seem to import/rebadge
ABSco metal sheds, someone here complained about how flimsy theirs was.
Don't metal sheds have problems with condensation?

It was probably me complaining how tinny it was. It is.

It's up and working now. I wouldn't buy one again.

Condensation is a problem. It also has no floor and rain sheeting down
creeps under the edges of the base adding to the wetness underfoot. The
channelling forming the bottom of the walls also collects water.
I couldn't get many of the pre-punched screw holes to match up, so had
to drill additional holes to make it feel vaguely rigid.

I did need to put the door at the opposite end of the wall. A query to
the makers about how to do this got no reply.

I have a piece left over which the instructions appear to point to being
the door threshold. I couldn't make it fit, so just gave up.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2017 18:57, Bill wrote:

Condensation is a problem. It also has no floor and rain sheeting down
creeps under the edges of the base adding to the wetness underfoot. The
channelling forming the bottom of the walls also collects water.

I have a metal tool shed. I can't wait to get rid of it. Not only does
it suffer from condensation badly, but the ridge is about as high as I
am. There's quite a bit of my scalp in there...

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vir Campestris wrote:
On 23/10/2017 18:57, Bill wrote:

Condensation is a problem. It also has no floor and rain sheeting down
creeps under the edges of the base adding to the wetness underfoot.
The channelling forming the bottom of the walls also collects water.

I have a metal tool shed. I can't wait to get rid of it. Not only does
it suffer from condensation badly, but the ridge is about as high as I
am. There's quite a bit of my scalp in there...

Andy

It is probably one of those tinny sheds for keeping your shovel and lawn
mower.
This is my metal shed,when it was being built, it is insulated walls and
roof, you would need a trampoline to hit the roof, condensation no
problem, it is probably your weather.you can get an 8'x10'or even
smaller shed built the same way.

https://imgur.com/a/Pl6Te

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/2017 20:05, JoeJoe wrote:
Our shed has a single layer of felt on its sloped roof nailed in place
with battens nailed over along the edges. The shed is free-standing.

It has now developed a leak.

This time of year you might be better off patching it with a temporary
repair and waiting for a nice dry sunny spell to do a proper job.

Various bitumen paints and black sealant gunges in tubes are available
for this sort of thing. Wear clothes you intend to throw away after.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 26 October 2017 08:35:24 UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:
On 22/10/2017 20:05, JoeJoe wrote:
Our shed has a single layer of felt on its sloped roof nailed in place
with battens nailed over along the edges. The shed is free-standing.

It has now developed a leak.

This time of year you might be better off patching it with a temporary
repair and waiting for a nice dry sunny spell to do a proper job.

Various bitumen paints and black sealant gunges in tubes are available
for this sort of thing. Wear clothes you intend to throw away after.

A patch done well enough can last for years. Eg apply bitumen, apply scrap cloth, apply bitumen, sprinkle on sand. Synthetic fibres last better than natural.

NT

Shed roof felt blown off, timber roof wet, should I... Marshal Anderson UK diy 2 December 8th 06 10:09 AM
Garden shed with tiled roof? Planning? The Natural Philosopher UK diy 7 August 18th 05 08:49 AM
When is a shed not a shed? Vortex UK diy 7 January 7th 05 10:31 AM
Garden Shed Roof Leaking News UK diy 3 November 6th 03 09:05 PM
Garden Shed Roof Andrew McKay UK diy 6 August 3rd 03 03:41 PM