Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bulkhead type light fittings

I hate the damn things - made worse now with LEDs. I want to see the effect
of a light - not the light source! Seeing the source just makes everywhere
look darker as you eyes try to cope with the bright source.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to DerbyBorn, Iggy wrote:
Yep, it's even been ruled Light Pollution because of the very extended glare.
It used to be that the bulb was shaded so the light would actually only light
its area. I tin-foil my bulbs after finding the light's stronger and covers
almost twice the area.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...s-1244585-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 22 October 2017 02:44:07 UTC+1, Iggy wrote:
replying to DerbyBorn, Iggy wrote:
Yep, it's even been ruled Light Pollution because of the very extended glare.
It used to be that the bulb was shaded so the light would actually only light
its area. I tin-foil my bulbs after finding the light's stronger and covers
almost twice the area.

Ali drink cans can be cut open to give reflective al sheet, this fits well into some light fittings, much improving output.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Oct 2017 23:45:53 GMT, DerbyBorn wrote:

I hate the damn things - made worse now with LEDs. I want to see the effect
of a light - not the light source! Seeing the source just makes everywhere
look darker as you eyes try to cope with the bright source.

With bulkheads I put ally foil under the cage or, if no cage, inside.
My latest outside luminaire is the upsidedown-type lantern with a 120 deg.,
6000K, R63 LED lamp. It's actually visible from 30m away and slightly above,
but not dazzling at all.
I've since turned the bulkhead onto its end and used the same sort of lamp.
This arrangement is also dead easy to shade with a miniskirt aroung the edge
of the lamp.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

This reminds me of the problem with some of those high pressure Mercury
vapour streetlights they used to install. Plenty of light but everything
looked like it was cardboard cut outs and the dazzle was terrible from the
lamp.
I thought bulkhead lighting was mainly for use in emergencies or in certain
exposed outside places?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
.222...
I hate the damn things - made worse now with LEDs. I want to see the effect
of a light - not the light source! Seeing the source just makes everywhere
look darker as you eyes try to cope with the bright source.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
I thought bulkhead lighting was mainly for use in emergencies or in certain
exposed outside places?

I'd say it is meant to be used where you can't fit an overhead light. Due
to a low ceiling or whatever.

LEDs do make things worse as they appear brighter if viewed directly.
Sadly, this doesn't translate into useful light.

--
*When companies ship Styrofoam, what do they pack it in? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/17 00:45, DerbyBorn wrote:
I hate the damn things - made worse now with LEDs. I want to see the effect
of a light - not the light source! Seeing the source just makes everywhere
look darker as you eyes try to cope with the bright source.

Oh, like Xenon car lights to everyone else but the driver? ;-)

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 Oct 2017 08:06:36 +0100, PeterC
wrote:

I've since turned the bulkhead onto its end and used the same sort of lamp.
This arrangement is also dead easy to shade with a miniskirt aroung the edge
of the lamp.

Doesn't the wife/girlfriend object to you raiding her wardrobe.

G,Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in
news
This reminds me of the problem with some of those high pressure
Mercury vapour streetlights they used to install. Plenty of light but
everything looked like it was cardboard cut outs and the dazzle was
terrible from the lamp.
I thought bulkhead lighting was mainly for use in emergencies or in
certain
exposed outside places?
Brian

I was using a generic term Brian for the type of fitting that is basically
a transparent box for a bare lamp mounted - typically around the walls of
commercial buildings. The light just spills everwhere.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/2017 10:46, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 22/10/17 00:45, DerbyBorn wrote:
I hate the damn things - made worse now with LEDs. I want to see the
effect
of a light - not the light source! Seeing the source just makes
everywhere
look darker as you eyes try to cope with the bright source.

Oh, like Xenon car lights to everyone else but the driver? ;-)

I recommend amber driving glasses, or clip-ons.

They conveniently cut out the intense blue of the 'cold' xenon lights.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 2, DerbyBorn
wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote in
news

This reminds me of the problem with some of those high pressure Mercury
vapour streetlights they used to install. Plenty of light but
everything looked like it was cardboard cut outs and the dazzle was
terrible from the lamp. I thought bulkhead lighting was mainly for use
in emergencies or in certain exposed outside places? Brian

I was using a generic term Brian for the type of fitting that is
basically a transparent box for a bare lamp mounted - typically around
the walls of commercial buildings. The light just spills everwhere.

"shaded bulhead fittings" are available

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 2,
DerbyBorn wrote:
I was using a generic term Brian for the type of fitting that is
basically a transparent box for a bare lamp mounted - typically around
the walls of commercial buildings.

Not going to be much use for illuminating any working area?

--
*Time is what keeps everything from happening at once.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

everwhere.

"shaded bulhead fittings" are available

Lots of better choices are available - but I suspect electrial Contractors
just fit what suits without much thought to light spread or pollution.
Likewise domestic floodlights aimed horizontally so that 50% of the light
is wasted.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 6, DerbyBorn
wrote:

everwhere.

"shaded bulhead fittings" are available

Lots of better choices are available - but I suspect electrial
Contractors just fit what suits

or even what the wholesaler has on offer.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England