Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 45kg radiator on thermalite block wall - recommended fixings?

What would you use?

I have used stud+resin for basins on the same wall, but it's probably a
bit excessive as the rad will take upto 8 fixings without too much
leverage (unlike the basin).

I've got 50mm long plugs (fischer) - but was wondering if a more exotic
fixing might be worthwhile?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 21 October 2017 12:17:39 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
What would you use?

I have used stud+resin for basins on the same wall, but it's probably a
bit excessive as the rad will take upto 8 fixings without too much
leverage (unlike the basin).

I've got 50mm long plugs (fischer) - but was wondering if a more exotic
fixing might be worthwhile?

a whole army of stud/resin fixings.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Oct 2017 12:17:34 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

What would you use?

I have used stud+resin for basins on the same wall, but it's probably a
bit excessive as the rad will take upto 8 fixings without too much
leverage (unlike the basin).

I've got 50mm long plugs (fischer) - but was wondering if a more exotic
fixing might be worthwhile?

Broom handle plugs with epoxy?

I have a Tuit to do that with a bike rack which hoiked itself off a
thermal block wall leaving some nice big holes behind.

Over engineering, perhaps, but better safe...

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/17 12:42, David wrote:
On Sat, 21 Oct 2017 12:17:34 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

What would you use?

I have used stud+resin for basins on the same wall, but it's probably a
bit excessive as the rad will take upto 8 fixings without too much
leverage (unlike the basin).

I've got 50mm long plugs (fischer) - but was wondering if a more exotic
fixing might be worthwhile?

Broom handle plugs with epoxy?

I have a Tuit to do that with a bike rack which hoiked itself off a
thermal block wall leaving some nice big holes behind.

Over engineering, perhaps, but better safe...

Cheers

I've always used car body filler with total success in these situations

If the block is über porous, coat with polyester resin in the hole first

Dave R

--
It is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.

Thomas Sowell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2017 12:17, Tim Watts wrote:
What would you use?

I have used stud+resin for basins on the same wall, but it's probably a
bit excessive as the rad will take upto 8 fixings without too much
leverage (unlike the basin).

I've got 50mm long plugs (fischer) - but was wondering if a more exotic
fixing might be worthwhile?

I think I'd look at some sort of stand to take the weight. Maybe just
some wooden blocks.

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2017 12:17, Tim Watts wrote:
What would you use?

I have used stud+resin for basins on the same wall, but it's probably a
bit excessive as the rad will take upto 8 fixings without too much
leverage (unlike the basin).

I've got 50mm long plugs (fischer) - but was wondering if a more exotic
fixing might be worthwhile?

If you don't want feet, I'd suggest using long frame fixings, 100 mm or
more.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/17 17:58, newshound wrote:
On 21/10/2017 12:17, Tim Watts wrote:
What would you use?

I have used stud+resin for basins on the same wall, but it's probably
a bit excessive as the rad will take upto 8 fixings without too much
leverage (unlike the basin).

I've got 50mm long plugs (fischer) - but was wondering if a more
exotic fixing might be worthwhile?

If you don't want feet, I'd suggest using long frame fixings, 100 mm or
more.

That's a good idea...

And (to other posters) it is not designed to take feet!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 21 October 2017 21:02:16 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
On 21/10/17 17:58, newshound wrote:
On 21/10/2017 12:17, Tim Watts wrote:
What would you use?

I have used stud+resin for basins on the same wall, but it's probably
a bit excessive as the rad will take upto 8 fixings without too much
leverage (unlike the basin).

I've got 50mm long plugs (fischer) - but was wondering if a more
exotic fixing might be worthwhile?

If you don't want feet, I'd suggest using long frame fixings, 100 mm or
more.

That's a good idea...

And (to other posters) it is not designed to take feet!

when did that ever stop us?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

I've got 50mm long plugs (fischer) - but was wondering if a more exotic
fixing might be worthwhile?

If they're the Fischer Universal plugs (eg TStation 98168), they'll be
fine. I put a few of the 8mm ones in an aircrete wall recently with #12
screws and they were rock solid.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/17 11:08, Scott M wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:

I've got 50mm long plugs (fischer) - but was wondering if a more
exotic fixing might be worthwhile?

If they're the Fischer Universal plugs (eg TStation 98168), they'll be
fine. I put a few of the 8mm ones in an aircrete wall recently with #12
screws and they were rock solid.

OK - thanks.

In that case I'll use the 8x65mm version that I have (used for shelving,
wasn't sure about mega heavy rads)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2017 12:17, Tim Watts wrote:
What would you use?

I have used stud+resin for basins on the same wall, but it's probably a
bit excessive as the rad will take upto 8 fixings without too much
leverage (unlike the basin).

I've got 50mm long plugs (fischer) - but was wondering if a more exotic
fixing might be worthwhile?

Presumably the air blocks are covered with something like dot&dab
plasterboard?

If that's the case why not cut back the plasterboard in the areas you
want fixings then fill with dot/dab adhesive and smooth off level? That
way you have a tough, well adhered and solid surface into which you can
use regular plugs and screws.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2017 21:02, Tim Watts wrote:
On 21/10/17 17:58, newshound wrote:
On 21/10/2017 12:17, Tim Watts wrote:
What would you use?

I have used stud+resin for basins on the same wall, but it's probably
a bit excessive as the rad will take upto 8 fixings without too much
leverage (unlike the basin).

I've got 50mm long plugs (fischer) - but was wondering if a more
exotic fixing might be worthwhile?

If you don't want feet, I'd suggest using long frame fixings, 100 mm
or more.

That's a good idea...

And (to other posters) it is not designed to take feet!

Kitchen fitters use 3 inch long plugs and screws for
wall-mounted cabinets.

Drill lightweight blocks with HSS bits and make sure that
they rotate without any wobbling else you will end up
with a bigger hole than expected.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 22 October 2017 21:16:51 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
On 22/10/17 11:08, Scott M wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:

I've got 50mm long plugs (fischer) - but was wondering if a more
exotic fixing might be worthwhile?

If they're the Fischer Universal plugs (eg TStation 98168), they'll be
fine. I put a few of the 8mm ones in an aircrete wall recently with #12
screws and they were rock solid.

OK - thanks.

In that case I'll use the 8x65mm version that I have (used for shelving,
wasn't sure about mega heavy rads)

I'd pick something a bit more solid for a solid wall, never mind a thermolite one.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

#12 screws and they were rock solid.

OK - thanks.

In that case I'll use the 8x65mm version that I have (used for shelving,
wasn't sure about mega heavy rads)

Rads exert less outward pull than shelves any day of the week. The
Fischer plugs seem particularly suited as the bore of a hole in aircrete
is never going to be dead round - ordinary plugs must have a very
limited contact patch by comparison.

--
Scott