Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Brick-laying is hard -- update!

The lad did quite a neat job of the brick-laying. Unfortunately, he has
made a bit of a mess with the pointing. The bricks have quite a good
smearing of mortar on them.

I've tried taking this off with a wire brush, and that does seem to work
without destroying the bricks. However, there's an awful lot of it to
do, and it's tiring. I've made no real progress so far.

Any suggestions for a sensible power tool to use for the job?

I have a very very cheap electric drill here, so maybe I could use a cup
shaped wire brush - until the drill burns out or the brush disintegrates?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 20 October 2017 15:20:16 UTC+1, GB wrote:
The lad did quite a neat job of the brick-laying. Unfortunately, he has
made a bit of a mess with the pointing. The bricks have quite a good
smearing of mortar on them.

I've tried taking this off with a wire brush, and that does seem to work
without destroying the bricks. However, there's an awful lot of it to
do, and it's tiring. I've made no real progress so far.

Any suggestions for a sensible power tool to use for the job?

I have a very very cheap electric drill here, so maybe I could use a cup
shaped wire brush - until the drill burns out or the brush disintegrates?

No power tool will fix it. On days 1 & 2 after pointing you can brush it. After that there's brick acid, but it's very slow going.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
The lad did quite a neat job of the brick-laying. Unfortunately, he
has made a bit of a mess with the pointing. The bricks have quite a
good smearing of mortar on them.

I've tried taking this off with a wire brush, and that does seem to
work without destroying the bricks. However, there's an awful lot of
it to do, and it's tiring. I've made no real progress so far.

Any suggestions for a sensible power tool to use for the job?

I have a very very cheap electric drill here, so maybe I could use a
cup shaped wire brush - until the drill burns out or the brush
disintegrates?

I had to do this when I helped out with a house renovation. The bricklayer
had left snots everywhere and mortar on the bricks. I'd have sacked him
weeks ago.
Seems the only method is a sort of razor blade in a handle and then brick
cleaner and a scrubbing brush. Took forever but it worked.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/10/2017 15:20, GB wrote:
The lad did quite a neat job of the brick-laying. Unfortunately, he has
made a bit of a mess with the pointing. The bricks have quite a good
smearing of mortar on them.

I've tried taking this off with a wire brush, and that does seem to work
without destroying the bricks. However, there's an awful lot of it to
do, and it's tiring. I've made no real progress so far.

Any suggestions for a sensible power tool to use for the job?

I have a very very cheap electric drill here, so maybe I could use a cup
shaped wire brush - until the drill burns out or the brush disintegrates?

I haven't found a power tool that helps. If the bricks have a rough
surface it's an impossibility really.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 20/10/2017 18:23, Bill Wright wrote:

I have a very very cheap electric drill here, so maybe I could use a
cup shaped wire brush - until the drill burns out or the brush
disintegrates?

I haven't found a power tool that helps. If the bricks have a rough
surface it's an impossibility really.

Bill

Thanks for the advice, everyone. The bricks do indeed have a rough
surface, and there's no way I am going to mess around with brick acid up
a ladder, thanks!

I'll try one of these [1] in the angle grinder, then give up gracefully
and try not to notice!

[1] https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-twi...mm-brush/64592
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 21 October 2017 09:10:51 UTC+1, GB wrote:
On 20/10/2017 18:23, Bill Wright wrote:

I have a very very cheap electric drill here, so maybe I could use a
cup shaped wire brush - until the drill burns out or the brush
disintegrates?

I haven't found a power tool that helps. If the bricks have a rough
surface it's an impossibility really.

Bill

Thanks for the advice, everyone. The bricks do indeed have a rough
surface, and there's no way I am going to mess around with brick acid up
a ladder, thanks!

I'll try one of these [1] in the angle grinder, then give up gracefully
and try not to notice!

[1] https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-twi...mm-brush/64592

sounds like a recipe for damage & hazard.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/10/17 18:23, Bill Wright wrote:
On 20/10/2017 15:20, GB wrote:
The lad did quite a neat job of the brick-laying. Unfortunately, he
has made a bit of a mess with the pointing. The bricks have quite a
good smearing of mortar on them.

I've tried taking this off with a wire brush, and that does seem to
work without destroying the bricks. However, there's an awful lot of
it to do, and it's tiring. I've made no real progress so far.

Any suggestions for a sensible power tool to use for the job?

I have a very very cheap electric drill here, so maybe I could use a
cup shaped wire brush - until the drill burns out or the brush
disintegrates?

I haven't found a power tool that helps. If the bricks have a rough
surface it's an impossibility really.

Bill

Can be done with a stiff brush and brick acid (before they ban it)

Take your time, wear googles (the brish will flick it about).

I've cleaned small amounts of herringbone brick faces like this, so
anything is possible!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2017 09:10, GB wrote:
On 20/10/2017 18:23, Bill Wright wrote:

I have a very very cheap electric drill here, so maybe I could use a
cup shaped wire brush - until the drill burns out or the brush
disintegrates?

I haven't found a power tool that helps. If the bricks have a rough
surface it's an impossibility really.

Bill

Thanks for the advice, everyone. The bricks do indeed have a rough
surface, and there's no way I am going to mess around with brick acid up
a ladder, thanks!

I'll try one of these [1] in the angle grinder, then give up gracefully
and try not to notice!

[1] https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-twi...mm-brush/64592

That will mark the surface of the brick and actually make the mess worse.

You can actually get cement off the surface of a rough brick but only if
you damage the surface and make things look worse.

You can reduce the cement a bit with a pressure washer.

If you wait until there's a forecast of very cold weather and spray the
area liberally with a hosepipe late evening and do this several times
the frost might help.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/17 13:25, Bill Wright wrote:
On 21/10/2017 09:10, GB wrote:
[...]

The answer is simply brick acid. If he doesnt want to, then tough ****.
The mortar stays.

I'd rather brick acid than power tools up a ladder any day. You can daub
acid with one hand...

all women"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, October 20, 2017 at 3:20:16 PM UTC+1, GB wrote:
The lad did quite a neat job of the brick-laying. Unfortunately, he has
made a bit of a mess with the pointing. The bricks have quite a good
smearing of mortar on them.

I've tried taking this off with a wire brush, and that does seem to work
without destroying the bricks. However, there's an awful lot of it to
do, and it's tiring. I've made no real progress so far.

Any suggestions for a sensible power tool to use for the job?

I have a very very cheap electric drill here, so maybe I could use a cup
shaped wire brush - until the drill burns out or the brush disintegrates?

Brick acid without a doubt, Its easy and I've done m2 of it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, October 21, 2017 at 5:17:03 PM UTC+1, Kipper at sea wrote:
On Friday, October 20, 2017 at 3:20:16 PM UTC+1, GB wrote:
The lad did quite a neat job of the brick-laying. Unfortunately, he has
made a bit of a mess with the pointing. The bricks have quite a good
smearing of mortar on them.

I've tried taking this off with a wire brush, and that does seem to work
without destroying the bricks. However, there's an awful lot of it to
do, and it's tiring. I've made no real progress so far.

Any suggestions for a sensible power tool to use for the job?

I have a very very cheap electric drill here, so maybe I could use a cup
shaped wire brush - until the drill burns out or the brush disintegrates?

Brick acid without a doubt, Its easy and I've done m2 of it. Just spray it on leave for about 10- 15 mins and brush it of with clean water and a brush head. No need to use any mechanical tools or wire brush.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 21 October 2017 14:38:25 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 21/10/2017 09:10, GB wrote:

Thanks for the advice, everyone. The bricks do indeed have a rough
surface, and there's no way I am going to mess around with brick acid
up a ladder, thanks!

The answer is simply brick acid. If he doesnt want to, then tough ****.
The mortar stays.

I'd rather brick acid than power tools up a ladder any day.

ditto, especially an angle grinder with wire brush.

NT