Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to paint radiator covers

Knowing some of the replies to this query are old now, nonetheless they made
for interesting reading but did nothing to help solve the initial question.
Have installed a radiator cover before but going to install another one but
will probably give this one a coat of paint so looking for best method being
as the grille will be patterned. Someone suggested that they thought the
covers looked ugly! You're kidding! Compared to an ugly looking metal radiator
, don't think there's much imagination there! I'm looking at this from a
female point of view so please no sexist remarks, no matter how funny you
think might be. So in the end the answers weren't of any help so probably go
a for a ready painted one 😁 __________

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...s-1243215-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15-Oct-17 7:44 PM, Eileen HARLOW wrote:
Knowing some of the replies to this query are old now, nonetheless they
made
for interesting reading but did nothing to help solve the initial question.
Have installed a radiator cover before but going to install another one but
will probably give this one a coat of paint so looking for best method
being
as the grille will be patterned. Someone suggested that they thought the
covers looked ugly! You're kidding! Compared to an ugly looking metal
radiator
, don't think there's much imagination there! I'm looking at this from a
female point of view so please no sexist remarks, no matter how funny you
think might be. So in the end the answers weren't of any help so
probably go a for a ready painted one 😁 __________

There are plenty of radiators out there that look a lot better than the
standard radiator. Some of them aren't even that much more expensive, e.g.:

https://www.theradiatorcentre.com/de...arcadia-mirror

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Eileen HARLOW m
Wrote in message:
Knowing some of the replies to this query are old now, nonetheless they made
for interesting reading but did nothing to help solve the initial question.
Have installed a radiator cover before but going to install another one but
will probably give this one a coat of paint so looking for best method being
as the grille will be patterned.

snip sweetheart bullocks

Brush.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 15 October 2017 19:56:09 UTC+1, jim wrote:
Brush.

Spray.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Wrote in message:
On Sunday, 15 October 2017 19:56:09 UTC+1, jim wrote:
Brush.

Spray.

Owain

Sticky back plastic............
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 15 October 2017 19:44:04 UTC+1, Eileen HARLOW wrote:
Knowing some of the replies to this query are old now, nonetheless they made
for interesting reading but did nothing to help solve the initial question.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not having seen the old post and obviously not seen any pictures. Some of
those vents covered by a mesh used to be quite good at accepting car spray
paint, the cellulose kind that makes you get high!
I did this on an old valve amplifier cover over ten years ago where the old
paint was going patchy and blotchy. a quick degrease and a gentle wash and
sprayed it on. Mind you do it outside wearing old clothes!
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Eileen HARLOW" m wrote
in message ...
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/2017 19:54, Nightjar wrote:
[...]

Can't you paint a normal radiator a colour of your choice and conceal
the pipework as some sort of happy compromise? I'd imagine those covers
cut down the convection (and radiation) considerably.

There are plenty of radiators out there that look a lot better than the
standard radiator. Some of them aren't even that much more expensive, e.g.:

https://www.theradiatorcentre.com/de...arcadia-mirror

A friend installed one of those (or similar) - quite rubbish output
compared to a similarly sized panel with fins.

And to my eye, they just look ridiculous :-)

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Eileen HARLOW, Iggy wrote:
I've had no problems with regular Enamel Spray Paints (semi or high-gloss)
lasting perfectly for decades on the Metal hat or shelf radiator toppers nor
the full enclosure metal grills and radiators themselves. On the wood cabinet
full enclosure types with side shelves or cabinets, rolled-on run of the mill
latex primer and paint (semi-gloss) has survived for 20-years so far with no
signs of failure anywhere. Has stood up to many vacuum bumps, flower pot
leaks, candle spills and scrubbings.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...s-1243215-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2017 12:58, RJH wrote:
Can't you paint a normal radiator a colour of your choice and conceal
the pipework as some sort of happy compromise? I'd imagine those covers
cut down the convection (and radiation) considerably.

We had one - it meant we had a handy, and not too hot, shelf in the hall.

Big vents in the base, big vents under the shelf, and it acted like a
chimney. Output was _up_ if anything.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/2017 19:56, jim wrote:
Eileen HARLOW m
Wrote in message:
Knowing some of the replies to this query are old now, nonetheless they made
for interesting reading but did nothing to help solve the initial question.
Have installed a radiator cover before but going to install another one but
will probably give this one a coat of paint so looking for best method being
as the grille will be patterned.

snip sweetheart bullocks

I didn't think she had radiators:-)

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2017 21:38, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 16/10/2017 12:58, RJH wrote:
Can't you paint a normal radiator a colour of your choice and conceal
the pipework as some sort of happy compromise? I'd imagine those
covers cut down the convection (and radiation) considerably.

We had one - it meant we had a handy, and not too hot, shelf in the hall.

Yes, I can see that, and is something I mean to do for a couple of rads
- but just the shelf.

Big vents in the base, big vents under the shelf, and it acted like a
chimney. Output was _up_ if anything.

Ah OK, I can see why a properly designed one might. Just to my eye, the
exhaust on this type of thing looks to be restricted:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/contemporary-suffolk-radiator-cabinet-medium-white-1195-x-200-x-900mm/4397

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/10/2017 00:07, RJH wrote:

Ah OK, I can see why a properly designed one might. Just to my eye, the
exhaust on this type of thing looks to be restricted:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/contemporary-suffolk-radiator-cabinet-medium-white-1195-x-200-x-900mm/4397

Link didn't work - but the search hit it. The top vents does look pretty
small.

Andy