Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default freezing silicone sealant

I've bought too many tubes of sealant. Can I freeze it until spring?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 15/10/2017 16:10, Bill Wright wrote:
I've bought too many tubes of sealant. Can I freeze it until spring?

Bill

No, you can't freeze it, unless you have a freezer that goes down to
liquid nitrogen temperatures.

Can you put it in a domestic freezer? Obviously, you can, but the
plastic tube might become brittle.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:
I've bought too many tubes of sealant. Can I freeze it until spring?

Bill

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...after-freezing

Seems that you might be able to freeze it.
But, will it work properly afterwards?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/2017 16:26, GB wrote:
On 15/10/2017 16:10, Bill Wright wrote:
I've bought too many tubes of sealant. Can I freeze it until spring?

Bill

No, you can't freeze it, unless you have a freezer that goes down to
liquid nitrogen temperatures.

Clever dickey

Can you put it in a domestic freezer? Obviously, you can, but the
plastic tube might become brittle.

Why is it obvious? I don't know how the contents will behave.
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/2017 17:03, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Bill Wright wrote:
I've bought too many tubes of sealant. Can I freeze it until spring?

Bill

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...after-freezing

Seems that you might be able to freeze it.
But, will it work properly afterwards?

That's the question.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:
I've bought too many tubes of sealant. Can I freeze it until spring?

Bill

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...after-freezing

Seems that you might be able to freeze it.
But, will it work properly afterwards?

That's the question.

Bill

The question that nobody seems to know the answer to apart from this guy in
my link.

"I wouldn't worry about it. Use it. Silicone has extreme low temperature
resistance and we routinely refridgerate and/or freeze it to extend shelf
life at my day job. Silicone caulks are dimethyl based silicones and remain
flexible down to -40F. Phenol based silicones are good down to -140F.2

I'd not take the chance. You could be looking at a **** up of biblical
proportions, an invasion of spiders and Muslimes moving in next to you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/2017 19:34, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

I'd not take the chance. You could be looking at a **** up of biblical
proportions, an invasion of spiders and Muslimes moving in next to you.

There's nothing wrong with spiders.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/2017 19:41, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 16:10:15 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

I've bought too many tubes of sealant. Can I freeze it until spring?

Bill

No idea, but I'd be a bit wary about where I put it to freeze it. You
wouldn't want the entire contents of your chest freezer tasting of
some slightly volatile component in the sealant.

Oh err never thought of that. I'll put it in grandma's freezer.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

wrote:

I've bought too many tubes of sealant. Can I freeze it until spring?

Bill

No idea, but I'd be a bit wary about where I put it to freeze it. You
wouldn't want the entire contents of your chest freezer tasting of
some slightly volatile component in the sealant.

Oh err never thought of that. I'll put it in grandma's freezer.

Bill

You have a freezer with your grandmother in it?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/2017 16:10, Bill Wright wrote:
I've bought too many tubes of sealant. Can I freeze it until spring?

Bill

Not necessary, IMHO, if it hasn't actually been opened it will be fine
for years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
On 15/10/2017 19:34, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

I'd not take the chance. You could be looking at a **** up of biblical
proportions, an invasion of spiders and Muslimes moving in next to you.

There's nothing wrong with spiders.

Depends on whether they are poisonous or not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:
On 15/10/2017 19:34, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

I'd not take the chance. You could be looking at a **** up of
biblical proportions, an invasion of spiders and Muslimes moving in
next to you.

There's nothing wrong with spiders.

Bill

Spiders are not of this world, they are ancient horrid invaders from another
galaxy and should be birched before they are killed.
David Vincent knows all about them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
On 15/10/2017 16:10, Bill Wright wrote:
I've bought too many tubes of sealant. Can I freeze it until spring?

Bill

Not necessary, IMHO, if it hasn't actually been opened it will be fine
for years.

Bloke next door bought a few boxes of them. After two years the whole lot
had gone solid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/2017 20:37, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
newshound wrote:
On 15/10/2017 16:10, Bill Wright wrote:
I've bought too many tubes of sealant. Can I freeze it until spring?

Bill

Not necessary, IMHO, if it hasn't actually been opened it will be fine
for years.

Bloke next door bought a few boxes of them. After two years the whole lot
had gone solid.

OK maybe you can't generalise. I have found tubes solidified in the
past, but only ones which had been opened. I'd still bet that most
"unopened" ones would still be OK after a few months.

But I would not attempt to "lay down" a few boxes like wine. I might
occasionally pick up a couple of tubes when they are on offer on the
grounds that I can't remember whether or not I have some in stock.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I've bought too many tubes of sealant. Can I freeze it until spring?

I've got several tubes of proper silicon sealant (the vinegar smell
stuff) which have been in the freezer for many years and work
perfectly when removed. (The reason for the many tubes was an
aircraft manufacturer binning lots which were a week out of date - and
I happened to be near the skip).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:
On 15/10/2017 16:26, GB wrote:
On 15/10/2017 16:10, Bill Wright wrote:
I've bought too many tubes of sealant. Can I freeze it until spring?

Bill

No, you can't freeze it, unless you have a freezer that goes down to
liquid nitrogen temperatures.

Clever dickey

Can you put it in a domestic freezer? Obviously, you can, but the
plastic tube might become brittle.

Why is it obvious? I don't know how the contents will behave.
Bill

It is obvious because you can physically put almost anything in to a
freezer. what will happen to it is another question.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Most spiders are poisonous, the reason we do not worry here is that their
mandibles are not strong enough to puncture human skin.
I would therefore suggest not heating one.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
On 15/10/2017 19:34, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

I'd not take the chance. You could be looking at a **** up of biblical
proportions, an invasion of spiders and Muslimes moving in next to you.

There's nothing wrong with spiders.

Depends on whether they are poisonous or not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm at a loss that a company would produce a substance that wile not used in
an unopened tube would have such a short shelf life.

Most of them used to keep OK if merely kept at lowish room temperatures,
however its been a while since I've used any.

Brian

--
----- -

On 15/10/2017 16:26, GB wrote:
On 15/10/2017 16:10, Bill Wright wrote:
I've bought too many tubes of sealant. Can I freeze it until spring?

Bill

No, you can't freeze it, unless you have a freezer that goes down to
liquid nitrogen temperatures.

Clever dickey

Can you put it in a domestic freezer? Obviously, you can, but the plastic
tube might become brittle.

Why is it obvious? I don't know how the contents will behave.
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

Most spiders are poisonous, the reason we do not worry here is that their
mandibles are not strong enough to puncture human skin.

I would therefore suggest not heating one.

I've never bothered to cook them before munching on them.
http://cdn.iflscience.com/images/42c...k-34007215.jpg

Rod Speed wrote

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
On 15/10/2017 19:34, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

I'd not take the chance. You could be looking at a **** up of biblical
proportions, an invasion of spiders and Muslimes moving in next to you.

There's nothing wrong with spiders.

Depends on whether they are poisonous or not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

Without spiders we would by up to our armpits in insects.

How odd that Antarctica which has no spiders isnt.

"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message
news
Bill Wright wrote:
On 15/10/2017 19:34, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

I'd not take the chance. You could be looking at a **** up of
biblical proportions, an invasion of spiders and Muslimes moving in
next to you.

There's nothing wrong with spiders.

Bill

Spiders are not of this world, they are ancient horrid invaders from
another galaxy and should be birched before they are killed.
David Vincent knows all about them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/2017 16:10, Bill Wright wrote:

I've bought too many tubes of sealant. Can I freeze it until spring?

Provided that you don't break the seal on it the stuff keeps perfectly
well in a cool frost free environment out of direct sunlight or sat on a
shelf in the garage for months and possibly years without going off.

A part used one lasts longer wrapped in kitchen foil too but you will
need to swap the nozzle since that is easier than drilling it out.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 16 October 2017 09:08:00 UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:
On 15/10/2017 16:10, Bill Wright wrote:

I've bought too many tubes of sealant. Can I freeze it until spring?

Provided that you don't break the seal on it the stuff keeps perfectly
well in a cool frost free environment out of direct sunlight or sat on a
shelf in the garage for months and possibly years without going off.

A part used one lasts longer wrapped in kitchen foil too but you will
need to swap the nozzle since that is easier than drilling it out.

stick wire or large screw into the nozzle while wet. Once fully cured, waggle sideways & pull it out.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Martin Brown
writes
On 15/10/2017 16:10, Bill Wright wrote:

I've bought too many tubes of sealant. Can I freeze it until spring?

Provided that you don't break the seal on it the stuff keeps perfectly
well in a cool frost free environment out of direct sunlight or sat on
a shelf in the garage for months and possibly years without going off.

A part used one lasts longer wrapped in kitchen foil too but you will
need to swap the nozzle since that is easier than drilling it out.

Huh! There is never a spare nozzle about when you need one! I see you
can purchase a pack for around £0.5 each nozzle but I'd like a bag full
to hang off a shelf.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2017 10:07, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Martin Brown
writes
On 15/10/2017 16:10, Bill Wright wrote:

I've bought too many tubes of sealant. Can I freeze it until spring?

A part used one lasts longer wrapped in kitchen foil too but you will
need to swap the nozzle since that is easier than drilling it out.

Huh! There is never a spare nozzle about when you need one! I see you
can purchase a pack for around £0.5 each nozzle but I'd like a bag full
to hang off a shelf.

Keep an eye out in Aldi/Lidl/Poundshop you can get a 10 pack for £1...

BTW I like the ides of stuffing a large bolt into the nozzle. I usually
do foil wrap over the official lid but it doesn't really work.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/2017 16:10, Bill Wright wrote:
I've bought too many tubes of sealant. Can I freeze it until spring?

Bill

Place I work mix up their own sealants and glues (with different inert
fillers and very fancy micro spheres 1 ). These are then stored in
-60C freezers until needed (months) and then in -40C freezers on the
shop floor until used (days to weeks).
Freezing at -18C/-20C may not be cold enough to preserve the material
for any significant length of time beyond when they would cease to be
useful. Note.... not necessarily the expiry date printed on the container!

1 5um in size to control spacings :-)

--
Blow my nose to email me
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 16 October 2017 23:54:31 UTC+1, Kellerman wrote:
On 15/10/2017 16:10, Bill Wright wrote:

I've bought too many tubes of sealant. Can I freeze it until spring?

Bill

Place I work mix up their own sealants and glues (with different inert
fillers and very fancy micro spheres 1 ). These are then stored in
-60C freezers until needed (months) and then in -40C freezers on the
shop floor until used (days to weeks).
Freezing at -18C/-20C may not be cold enough to preserve the material
for any significant length of time beyond when they would cease to be
useful. Note.... not necessarily the expiry date printed on the container!

1 5um in size to control spacings :-)

Every 10C drop roughly doubles shelf life.

The volatile component is acetic acid, an entirely edible acid.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Monday, 16 October 2017 23:54:31 UTC+1, Kellerman wrote:
On 15/10/2017 16:10, Bill Wright wrote:

I've bought too many tubes of sealant. Can I freeze it until spring?

Bill

Place I work mix up their own sealants and glues (with different inert
fillers and very fancy micro spheres 1 ). These are then stored in
-60C freezers until needed (months) and then in -40C freezers on the
shop floor until used (days to weeks).
Freezing at -18C/-20C may not be cold enough to preserve the material
for any significant length of time beyond when they would cease to be
useful. Note.... not necessarily the expiry date printed on the
container!

1 5um in size to control spacings :-)

Every 10C drop roughly doubles shelf life.

You dont know that.

The volatile component is acetic acid,

That isnt necessarily what determines the shelf life.

an entirely edible acid.

Irrelevant.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 17 October 2017 06:06:55 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
tabbypurr wrote in message
[...]

Your idiocy has exceeded itself
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote in message
[...]

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag, gutless.

What is difference between Industrial/construction RTV Silicone andBig Box Silicone Rubber hr(bob) [email protected] Home Repair 5 July 16th 10 07:57 PM
Silicone sealant vs silicone adhesive? Walter Cohen Home Repair 8 October 31st 07 11:32 AM
Silicone sealant vs silicone adhesive? Walter Cohen Home Ownership 8 October 31st 07 11:32 AM
Silicone over silicone? MB UK diy 1 August 28th 06 12:03 AM
Silicone vs silicone [email protected] UK diy 2 April 30th 06 01:02 PM