Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Default FM stereo tuners - Xpost (OTish)

Tidying(ish) the loft I came across a very nice NAD FM stereo tuner.

Put into storage during a house move and never taken out again; I don't
even have an FM aerial although IIRC I have previously had one since the
1970s.

If I want to listen to the radio at home then I can use the Internet (e.g.
iPlayer) or for many radio stations I can use FreeSat or FreeView.

So is there any real use for a stereo FM tuner any more apart from in a
car? Perhaps also when you are camping without a mobile phone signal or a
TV signal?

Nice pit of kit, but udder on a bull?

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

In article , David
wrote:
Tidying(ish) the loft I came across a very nice NAD FM stereo tuner.

Put into storage during a house move and never taken out again; I don't
even have an FM aerial although IIRC I have previously had one since the
1970s.

If I want to listen to the radio at home then I can use the Internet
(e.g. iPlayer) or for many radio stations I can use FreeSat or FreeView.

So is there any real use for a stereo FM tuner any more apart from in a
car? Perhaps also when you are camping without a mobile phone signal or a
TV signal?

As I found earlier this week, the router goes down.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 14/10/2017 19:10, charles wrote:
In article , David
wrote:
Tidying(ish) the loft I came across a very nice NAD FM stereo tuner.

Put into storage during a house move and never taken out again; I don't
even have an FM aerial although IIRC I have previously had one since the
1970s.

If I want to listen to the radio at home then I can use the Internet
(e.g. iPlayer) or for many radio stations I can use FreeSat or FreeView.

So is there any real use for a stereo FM tuner any more apart from in a
car? Perhaps also when you are camping without a mobile phone signal or a
TV signal?

As I found earlier this week, the router goes down.

Only for a few more years? Norway has already gone DAB.

I still use a superb Sony which I bought in the early 70's.
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 14/10/2017 19:07, David wrote:

Tidying(ish) the loft I came across a very nice NAD FM stereo tuner.

Put into storage during a house move and never taken out again; I don't
even have an FM aerial although IIRC I have previously had one since the
1970s.

If I want to listen to the radio at home then I can use the Internet (e.g.
iPlayer) or for many radio stations I can use FreeSat or FreeView.

So is there any real use for a stereo FM tuner any more apart from in a
car? Perhaps also when you are camping without a mobile phone signal or a
TV signal?

Nice pit of kit, but udder on a bull?

It does what is does. Receives FM radio, providing you have an aerial up
to the job. Freeview requires a proper TV aerial and usually a TV set,
though there used to be Freeview "set top" boxes with audio output which
could be connected to an audio system. DAB is OK, if you have a DAB
radio and good enough reception. Who needs 100s of Internet radio stations?

And there's a place for stand alone FM transistor radios, such as
bedroom, kitchen or workshop/garage.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Me Me is offline

On 10/14/2017 7:07 PM, David wrote:
Tidying(ish) the loft I came across a very nice NAD FM stereo tuner.

Put into storage during a house move and never taken out again; I don't
even have an FM aerial although IIRC I have previously had one since the
1970s.

If I want to listen to the radio at home then I can use the Internet (e.g.
iPlayer) or for many radio stations I can use FreeSat or FreeView.

So is there any real use for a stereo FM tuner any more apart from in a
car? Perhaps also when you are camping without a mobile phone signal or a
TV signal?

Nice pit of kit, but udder on a bull?

Cheers

Dave R

No contest really, Keep it and use it! It was designed to do one job
and do it very well. The sound quality from even a middling FM tuner
will knock spots off Freeview, internet etc.
As for the aerial, depending on your location you could get away with an
indoor type (not rabbits ears!!), I do and the sound quality is excellent.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

"David" wrote in message
Tidying(ish) the loft I came across a very nice NAD FM stereo tuner.

Put into storage during a house move and never taken out again; I
don't
even have an FM aerial although IIRC I have previously had one since
the
1970s.

If I want to listen to the radio at home then I can use the Internet
(e.g.
iPlayer) or for many radio stations I can use FreeSat or FreeView.

So is there any real use for a stereo FM tuner any more apart from
in a
car? Perhaps also when you are camping without a mobile phone signal
or a
TV signal?

Nice pit of kit, but udder on a bull?

NAD made and still make very good kit. I use one of their integrated
amps as a pre-amp (external links) to drive a Rotel power amp which is
in fact dual mono bar the mains transformer.

If you want to listen to the radio you will be hard pushed to find a
tuner much better than the NAD.

On the other side I will be more than happy to take it off your
hands - especially if you have any other NAD kit to go with it.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 19:52:05 +0100, Woody wrote:

"David" wrote in message
[...]

Most of my kit is Marantz. :-)

Just looked and NAD tuners seem to be very reasonably priced on eBay.

Can't remember the model number at the moment.

If I want to listen to radio at the moment I tend to stream it to my PC
and then out to my amp. I was using a Cambridge Audio 100 USB DAC but this
has just died, and at the moment I am using digital out from my sound card
into the DAC on my Marantz PM6005. I'm not convinced that the sound is as
good as the Cambridge Audio set up but it is far superior to the analogue
out from the sound card.

I am considering if it is worthwhile trying to fix up an aerial and
plumbing the tuner into (one of) my stereo stack(s) or if my current
options are "adequate".

Will let you know if I decide to dispose of it.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 14/10/2017 19:39, Max Demian wrote:
[...]

If and when FM is turned off, the big losses will be for drivers whose
cars aren't fitted with DAB (and a replacement may well not look at all
right in the dash) and stand-alone radios (that are perfect for DIY
work, 'cos they'll work for months on one set of batteries.

SteveW
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

"David" wrote in message
Tidying(ish) the loft I came across a very nice NAD FM stereo tuner.

Put into storage during a house move and never taken out again; I don't
even have an FM aerial although IIRC I have previously had one since the
1970s.

If I want to listen to the radio at home then I can use the Internet (e.g.
iPlayer) or for many radio stations I can use FreeSat or FreeView.

So is there any real use for a stereo FM tuner any more apart from in a
car? Perhaps also when you are camping without a mobile phone signal or a
TV signal?

Nice pit of kit, but udder on a bull?

They usually have a pretty useful RF JFET in the FM front end, one with
manually tuned AM bands will have a nice multi section tuning capacitor -
that and the JFET are a good start on a DIY GDO.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 20:48:07 +0100, Ian Field wrote:

"David" wrote in message
Tidying(ish) the loft I came across a very nice NAD FM stereo tuner.

Put into storage during a house move and never taken out again; I don't
even have an FM aerial although IIRC I have previously had one since
the 1970s.

If I want to listen to the radio at home then I can use the Internet
(e.g.
iPlayer) or for many radio stations I can use FreeSat or FreeView.

So is there any real use for a stereo FM tuner any more apart from in a
car? Perhaps also when you are camping without a mobile phone signal or
a TV signal?

Nice pit of kit, but udder on a bull?

They usually have a pretty useful RF JFET in the FM front end, one with
manually tuned AM bands will have a nice multi section tuning capacitor
-
that and the JFET are a good start on a DIY GDO.

Was that a Garage Door Opener or a Grid Dip Oscillator?

Not that I am in need of either at the moment.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

"David" wrote in message
[...]

Early American garage door opener senders often used a Nuvistor - a very
popular valve for grid dip oscillators.

Somewhere I have a low anode voltage 8056 Nuvistor from the tuner on a
Sealey TV that someone dumped at the flats.

I bought a part finished JFET GDO, but so far not managed to untangle the
mess left by the previous owner - the plug in coils seem to be from several
other projects.

If someone had a complete set of coils to spare - I could probably overcome
all the other difficulties.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 20:46:59 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:

If and when FM is turned off,

Shhh, that idea seems to have been quietly forgotten about or is
under a D Notice. Also it was only the nationals that would go to
make room for lot's of new local stations. Local stations that are
hideously difficult to make profitable...

... the big losses will be for drivers whose cars aren't fitted with DAB

Even if the car has DAB it needs a DAB signal... Very patchy around a
here with the patches of signal being rather small and well spaced so
useless for actually listening to that radio. Even when in coverage
there is something "not quite right" and it becomes wearing to listen
too for more than about 1/2 and hour.

Internet streams vary for bloomimg good to yuk... Having the telly on
consuming lots of power just to "listen to the radio" seems a bit
extravagant. Bet that NAD tuner is very frugal in comparison.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well I still have one, Its a Dennon, and I still have a spare marantz too.
There are stations that I listen to that do not have internet or dab
outlets.
If it sounds good then as long as you are within a reasonable distance with
a good aerial fm still sounds better.
The big snag these days is that the broadcasters, along with most of the
public have forgotten what good dynamic radio can sound like, instead
focussing on the ultimate" listen no hiss" and plenty of level and bass
that seems to pervade everything so called high end for the masses these
days
Not only that but back in the day the audio on FM was not being generated
from a feed that probably uses lossy compression in the first place.
I know its an old chestnut, but we truly have lost the plot and seem to
settle for second class sound even on CD. Some very good productions of
middle of the road music are ruined by the actual mastering which seems to
suggest that it was done in the, , lets shove in a brick wall limiter and
push off down the pub method.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"David" wrote in message
Tidying(ish) the loft I came across a very nice NAD FM stereo tuner.

Put into storage during a house move and never taken out again; I don't
even have an FM aerial although IIRC I have previously had one since the
1970s.

If I want to listen to the radio at home then I can use the Internet (e.g.
iPlayer) or for many radio stations I can use FreeSat or FreeView.

So is there any real use for a stereo FM tuner any more apart from in a
car? Perhaps also when you are camping without a mobile phone signal or a
TV signal?

Nice pit of kit, but udder on a bull?

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Phi Phi is offline

wrote:
Tidying(ish) the loft I came across a very nice NAD FM stereo tuner.

Put into storage during a house move and never taken out again; I don't
even have an FM aerial although IIRC I have previously had one since the
1970s.

If I want to listen to the radio at home then I can use the Internet
(e.g. iPlayer) or for many radio stations I can use FreeSat or FreeView.

So is there any real use for a stereo FM tuner any more apart from in a
car? Perhaps also when you are camping without a mobile phone signal or
TV signal?

As I found earlier this week, the router goes down.

Only for a few more years? Norway has already gone DAB.

I still use a superb Sony which I bought in the early 70's.

I use a Tandberg TR1010 stereo receiver (circa 1972), had to replace the
output electrolytics a few years ago.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

I had an AIWA AX7400 which was brilliant. I bought it in 1978 after
buying my first house and went out to buy a bed one weekend and
came back with this Tuner-Amp, and then slept on a mattress on the
floor for a few more years.

Getting rid of it in 2006 in favour of an Onky CR515DAB was a mistake.
The Onkyo works fine, apart from DAB which is rubbish here in West
Sussex, so I am listening to Classic FM on FM right now - perfect.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 16/10/2017 08:53, Norman Wells wrote:

If your hearing dulls, as it does with age, the source of your hi-fi
won't make any difference anyway. You'll have lost the 'hi'.

When I was (much) younger I was lucky enough to live near pubs that had
live musical acts, and if I wanted to watch the performers I had to get
close enough to them that I was very close to their loudspeakers. It
was quite common to lay in bed afterwards with a whistle in my ears,
though luckily by the time I had woken up in the morning my hearing
seemed back to normal.

I am not anywhere near deaf in my retirement, but you are spot on with
the prediction that I have lost some of the 'hi'. I can hear it, but
probably not at a comparative volume to the bass.

Jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David wrote:
If I want to listen to radio at the moment I tend to stream it to my PC
and then out to my amp. I was using a Cambridge Audio 100 USB DAC but
this has just died, and at the moment I am using digital out from my
sound card into the DAC on my Marantz PM6005. I'm not convinced that
the sound is as good as the Cambridge Audio set up but it is far
superior to the analogue out from the sound card.

That sounds a lot of faff compared to simply selecting the tuner on your
amp.

--
*I have plenty of talent and vision. I just don't care.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Max Demian wrote:
It does what is does. Receives FM radio, providing you have an aerial up
to the job. Freeview requires a proper TV aerial and usually a TV set,
though there used to be Freeview "set top" boxes with audio output which
could be connected to an audio system.

I'd guess most already have a TV aerial, and already fed to several rooms
in the house. Not many bother doing the same with FM or DAB.

Snag with using a FreeView STB audio only is they don't tend to have a
display, so you have to rely on the remote to get the channel you want.

But it's what I mainly use. Many radio listeners stick to the same channel
all the time anyway.

--
*Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Having the telly on
consuming lots of power just to "listen to the radio" seems a bit
extravagant

And, of course, if just the telly, using it for what it does worst. Sound.
;-)

--
*Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 16/10/2017 10:27, charles wrote:

You could always get hearing aids, but having bought them you wouldn't be
able to afford the ELSs.

The NHS digital ones are as good as any.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Having the telly on
consuming lots of power just to "listen to the radio" seems a bit
extravagant

And, of course, if just the telly, using it for what it does worst. Sound.
;-)

All our tellys except one have external audio amps and speakers.
Intolerable otherwise.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

In article , Bill Wright
wrote:
On 16/10/2017 10:27, charles wrote:

You could always get hearing aids, but having bought them you wouldn't
be able to afford the ELSs.

The NHS digital ones are as good as any.

possibly, but I was told they couldn't help me.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 16/10/2017 11:57, Bill Wright wrote:
On 16/10/2017 10:27, charles wrote:

You could always get hearing aids, but having bought them you wouldn't be
able to afford the ELSs.

The NHS digital ones are as good as any.

The private ones have smaller less visible footprint but the free NHS
digital ones now are impressively good if correctly fitted and tuned up.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

charles wrote:

In article , Bill Wright
wrote:
On 16/10/2017 10:27, charles wrote:

You could always get hearing aids, but having bought them you wouldn't
be able to afford the ELSs.

The NHS digital ones are as good as any.

possibly, but I was told they couldn't help me.

You have to be firmer, They probably could if they wanted to. And
insist on bilateral!

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
On 16/10/2017 10:27, charles wrote:

You could always get hearing aids, but having bought them you
wouldn't be
able to afford the ELSs.

The NHS digital ones are as good as any.

They are but they will only provide one and you cannot buy a second.

My wife has a condition affecting her hearing (frequency selective)
and balance and the consultant said she needed two aids but the NHS
would not comply, one or nowt.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 16/10/2017 12:01, charles wrote:
In article , Bill Wright
wrote:
On 16/10/2017 10:27, charles wrote:

You could always get hearing aids, but having bought them you wouldn't
be able to afford the ELSs.

The NHS digital ones are as good as any.

possibly, but I was told they couldn't help me.

I'm sceptical of the whole industry. But what could be special about
your lug holes that could defeat the NHS yet be fixable by a private
firm, when it only comes down to frequency response after all?

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 16/10/17 11:58, Bill Wright wrote:
In article l.net,
Â*Â*Â* Dave Liquorice wrote:
Having the telly on
consuming lots of power just to "listen to the radio" seems a bit
extravagant

And, of course, if just the telly, using it for what it does worst.
Sound.
;-)

All our tellys except one have external audio amps and speakers.
Intolerable otherwise.

Bill

Given the size of them, I am pleasantly surprised at the Tv sound quality.

As you get older you realise the technology is outperforming your ears
massively.

And its getting pointless to invest in serious hi fi

--
The lifetime of any political organisation is about three years before
its been subverted by the people it tried to warn you about.

Anon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 03:45:41 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

We use the freeview signal a lot as FM reception around here isn't
that good, our TV allows you to turn the screen off completely

so I
would not think there is that much in it.

It's neither 'ere nor there in the grand scheme of things, anyway.

That depends on yer' telly. Our 42" plasma consumes a fair bit of
juice (290 W on the plate). It has a "radio" mode that blanks the
screen but I'm not totally convinced it powers down the heaters etc.
And it has to be tuned to an off-air "radio" station for it to kick
in, you can't manually kick it.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 16/10/2017 13:22, Woody wrote:
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
On 16/10/2017 10:27, charles wrote:

You could always get hearing aids, but having bought them you
wouldn't be
able to afford the ELSs.

The NHS digital ones are as good as any.

They are but they will only provide one and you cannot buy a second.

My wife has a condition affecting her hearing (frequency selective)
and balance and the consultant said she needed two aids but the NHS
would not comply, one or nowt.

That isn't correct unless it is a postcode lottery.

My father definitely had a pair on the NHS as he was profoundly deaf -
from having spent WWII at firing position on anti-aircraft guns.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
news
[...]

Last two cars I've had had DAB. Which I used for about 5 minutes,
before
it just died.

Bugger that, still use FM. When that goes, so will listening to
radio in
the car unless DAB is improved radically.

Clearly you live in an area where DAB has not been discovered yet?

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
news
On 16/10/2017 13:22, Woody wrote:
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
On 16/10/2017 10:27, charles wrote:

You could always get hearing aids, but having bought them you
wouldn't be
able to afford the ELSs.

The NHS digital ones are as good as any.

They are but they will only provide one and you cannot buy a
second.

My wife has a condition affecting her hearing (frequency selective)
and balance and the consultant said she needed two aids but the NHS
would not comply, one or nowt.

That isn't correct unless it is a postcode lottery.

My father definitely had a pair on the NHS as he was profoundly
deaf - from having spent WWII at firing position on anti-aircraft
guns.

--

Not sure. My wife is not badly deaf - she has Menieres Disease which
causes frequency selective deafness and gradually gets worse over

MD also causes serious balance issues. As balance is affected by
auditory indicators the consultant said she should have two hearing
aids to maintain auditory sensing, but the NHS said because she is not
profoundly deaf she only qualifies for one aid. When asked if we could
buy the other the answer was no unless she paid full price for them
both, and as she would be paying then any treatment associated with
them would also be chargeable.

That's life I suppose.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2017 14:33, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 20:46:59 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:

If and when FM is turned off, the big losses will be for drivers whose
cars aren't fitted with DAB (and a replacement may well not look at all
right in the dash) and stand-alone radios (that are perfect for DIY
work, 'cos they'll work for months on one set of batteries.

Last two cars I've had had DAB. Which I used for about 5 minutes, before
it just died.

Bugger that, still use FM. When that goes, so will listening to radio in
the car unless DAB is improved radically.

I'm sure the cassette player in mine will still work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Having the telly on
consuming lots of power just to "listen to the radio" seems a bit
extravagant

And, of course, if just the telly, using it for what it does worst.
Sound. ;-)

All our tellys except one have external audio amps and speakers.
Intolerable otherwise.

Odd isn't it? Would you buy a telly that needed an external monitor to
work reasonably well? Yet many seem happy to pay a fortune for a telly
then have to buy better speakers.

--
*Microsoft broke Volkswagen's record: They only made 21.4 million bugs.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

In article , Huge
wrote:

If your hearing dulls, as it does with age, the source of your hi-fi
won't make any difference anyway. You'll have lost the 'hi'.

Sadly true. Now I can afford the QUAD ELS's that I've lusted after all
my life, there's no point in buying them.

May not be as bad as many assume. The reality is that being able to hear
the range up to somewhere in the 5kHz - 10kHz region can be ample for
hearing the sound quality of much music. So choosing ESLs isn't a waste.
Indeed, the reduced colouration and distortion may be *more* useful for
those with limited hearing as it clears the window they can hear.

Hi-Fi reviewers tend to over-rate the significance of higher frequencies.

Note also that some of the best classical music artists and conductors are
over 70 years old and almost certainly have lost HF extension in their
hearing. But they can still judge the sound quality OK.

Jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

news On 16/10/2017 10:27, charles wrote:

[...]

No, thats 'socialism'.

Either to take what he public services offer, or you pay taxes *and* pay
for private treatenent or education or WHY.

A huge number of parents can't afford full private education, but could
afford to pay for better education . But 'one size fits all' political
correctness wont allow e.g. a voucher system tradeable at ANY school.
likewise in teh NHS., the moment you go private in a given area you lose
the right to state treatment.

I suggest you get one ear done and 'lose' the aid and then say actually
this time we would like it for the other ear...

Lucas Bergkamp
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 15:37:09 +0100, Woody wrote:

MD also causes serious balance issues. As balance is affected by
auditory indicators the consultant said she should have two hearing
aids to maintain auditory sensing, but the NHS said because she is not
profoundly deaf she only qualifies for one aid. When asked if we could
buy the other the answer was no unless she paid full price for them
both, and as she would be paying then any treatment associated with
them would also be chargeable.

That's life I suppose.

Welcome to our 'free at the point of use' NHS!